Creator: Naoko Takeuchi
Naoko Takeuchi (武内直子) is the creator of The Cherry Project, Codename: Sailor V and the world famous Sailor Moon manga, which codified the Magical Girl Warrior sub-genre. She is married to fellow manga-ka Yoshihiro Togashi, and has had two children with him: a boy in January of 2001, and a girl in 2009. A pharmacist-turned-mangaka, she has been a shojo inspiration for many years.
Tropes related to Naoko Takeuchi:
- Author Appeal: White haired Bishonens, racing cars (her favorite is a Ferrari 512M), figure skating, and modern fashion, namely. Sailor Moon was inspired by Wonder Woman, which gives the inspiration of most of the senshi having combat stilettos. She likes drawing shoes. Her Material Collections are full to the brim with characters wearing outfits inspired by fashions she's seen in magazines, and she puts great work into drawing each individual fold of fabric. Also, much like her husband, she loves writing about LGBT characters, in part because she adores the openly homoerotic Takarazuka Revue.
- Author Avatar: Usagi is stated to be this in Sailor Moon. Also, in the Sailor Moon manga, there would occasionally be notes or messages from the author and Takeuchi would draw herself as a cartoon rabbit.
- Executive Meddling: A victim of it in her early years, though in many cases not to her detriment. Had it not been for executive meddling asking her to add more characters to the cast, Codename: Sailor V would have never become Sailor Moon. Likewise Sailor Moon's iconic costume was the result of an editor telling her that her original mostly white costume would look bad on magazine covers.
- For that matter, this is also the main reason that the series continued beyond the final battle with Queen Beryl at all - she had originally planned for the end of the story arc to be the end of the manga itself, with all five sailors DYING - for good!
- Naoko herself also enforced this when it came to approving the new dub of Sailor Moon from Viz Media. She had to personally approve the new cast in order for the dub to become a reality, otherwise, Viz wouldn't be able to re-release it.
- Fan Fic: Naoko loves reading Sailor Moon fanfic and encourages different interpretations of her work heartily.
- I Was Just Joking: When she came to her boss one day in 1990's and said that she would like to draw a manga about a female superhero, the editor remarked: "Right. A female superhero. Maybe a schoolgirl at that, who is a crybaby, and yet saves the day?" And thus, Codename: Sailor V, and by extension, Sailor Moon, was born.
- Lap Pillow: Says of this cute drawing:◊ "I love sleeping with my head on someone's lap. I also love having someone's head on my lap. Since both really put me at ease, I can be happy."
- Odango: She has famously worn them, like her Author Avatar Usagi.
- Orphaned Series: Several after Sailor Moon.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Usagi has a father named Kenji, a mother named Ikuko, and a younger brother named Shingo, just like her creator, Naoko.
- Rule34 — Creator Reactions: She enthusiastically encourages and enjoys reading fanworks based on it, including hentai material, and has been known to say so in her manga marginalia.
- Shout-Out: She makes one of them as part of an artbook drawing, since she loves when fans homage her works, and compliments it back as she can.
- Tender Tears: In an artbook she comments that "Naoko is prone to tears". She cries when she is overwhelmed by something beautiful and from touching letters from fans.
- What Could Have Been: A lot of the elements she wanted to include in Sailor Moon can be found in her artbooks, but most especially the Materials Collection she released as a doujinshi. Tuxedo Mask was supposed to play a much larger part (and would have been named Mysterious 2098 Face!), Makoto would have been a smoker and sukeban leader... the list goes on.
- Write What You Know: She did miko work in a shrine, using this experience as the basis for Rei Hino's character. Likewise she's stated that Michiru/Sailor Neptune was the hardest character for her to write because Naoko is in no way that calm or reserved.