Jake Clover is a little-known indie game developer, who publishes his works on Game Jolt
website. His games are made in Game Maker
, free and are generally very short, going for the atmosphere and artistic side rather than gameplay details or extensive plot.
Works made by this creator:
Specific tropes used by the creator in his works:
- Alleged Car: The car your criminal drives in DERNHALD REVENG is very much this.
- A Million Is a Statistic: Deconstructed in the 000000052573743. In there, you play as a completely nameless, faceless person who is no different visually from others around, and the first time you see him is in two lines of people where he is completely indistinguishable from others. It is only by chance that you survive being shot randomly and many others do not. Even then, you're still not that special, as there is at least a dozen people alongside you.
- Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangster: DERNHALD REVENG only exists to deconstruct this. It's no accident that it was released a month or so before Saints Row IV and Grand Theft Auto V , each a prominent Trope Codifier.
- Depth Perplexion: In DERNHALD REVENG, the seedy bar with criminals has an isometric top-down view and the angle is such that the ceiling fan and the flies circling it are much larger than everything else and take up a good chunk of the screen.
- Doing It for the Art: His games often feature some sort of mechanic or animation that is not necessary to the gameplay but helps with the atmosphere and immersion. The bush physics in Gunner, the permanent bullet holes in all walls in the Nuign Specter, etc.
- Excuse Plot: His more straightforward games like Fear Chooknz, Bear Surfing Mega Wave or Chook Driver Extreme generally have these.
- Extreme Melee Revenge: In DERNHALD REVENG, your protagonist seeks revenge for some unnamed slight. His response? Cut the guy's nose off.
- Funetik Aksent: Splodem Down V2 and other examples above.
- No Ending: Many of his games have ending screens that barely end anything or which are only vaguely connected to what has just happened.
- Random Events Plot: All of his more unusual games that don't already have Excuse Plot.
- Shrug of God: Usually his reaction to the questions about his gameís plots.
- Stylistic Suck: He freely admits that for many of his games he could have had added more mechanics or drawn in more detailed style, but he felt the message was served well enough as it was.
- That One Boss: Usually, his games arenít too hard, but the boss chook in the Fear Chooknz is practically guaranteed to roll you over with its grenades, again and again.
- Trolling Creator: Very often, with especially delicious example given here, on the Gunnerís Gamejolt page. Bloody Cartoon Violence, Sexual References, Drug Use Ö Family Friendly!
- Word Salad Title: Just look up for some examples. Duck Funnel, Duck Turnip, Fear Chooks, etc.