Greg Ayres is an American voice actor best-known for voicing anime characters. Ayres started out as a fanboy of anime
who was mentioned to ADV film directors.
With his constantly color-changing hair
, this VA has attended more than one hundred and twenty anime conventions as a guest, and countless others as a fan. However, in February 2009, Greg suffered a mild heart attack while attending Ikki Con
in Austin, Texas, which some have attributed to his near non-stop schedule. Greg Ayres is recognized not only for his dub work in popular anime, but also for his multi-talented and charismatic personality at anime conventions. Occasionally his surname is listed as Ayers instead of Ayres
, however this spelling is incorrect as his legal name is "Gregory Ayres".
At most conventions he typically holds a panel on why fansubs hurt the anime industry. He is also known for being a DJ at dances and raves that conventions host.
Greg has enjoyed playing Kaworu Nagisa from Neon Genesis Evangelion
and has said that he is one of his favorite characters.Chris Ayres
, his brother, is also a voice actor/director.
Due to distinctive high-pitch voice (which is unusual for a man in his 40s), he is often cast as young boys
, often either Butt Monkeys
, cute little boys, or Kid Heroes
. In fact, his voice is high-pitched enough to voice young boys that can be as young as 8-years-old
. Basically is the Texan equivalent to California's Bryce Papenbrook
, Ben Diskin
, Nicolas Roye (Mikey Kudo from Digimon Xros Wars
, Shingo in the Viz Media
dub of Sailor Moon
), and Matt Hill
(formerly a Canadian equivalent). Also is the Western counterpart of Romi Park
, as well as Texas's counterpart to Akira Ishida
, Yuuki Kaji note
, Soichiro Hoshi
, Nobuhiko Okamoto
, and Hiro Shimono
. His Distaff Counterpart
is Michelle Newman.
Notable roles from Greg Ayres:
Tropes associated with Greg Ayres:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Sometimes, he jokingly describes himself this way.
- Crossdressing Voices: Averted. His high-pitch allows him to voice young boys as young as 8-years-old. In fact, some of the young boy roles he gets are voiced by a woman in the Japanese dub.
- But played straight with Rathy. Although to be fair, the director and even himself mistakes Rathy as a boy.
- Cute but Cacophonic: His voice is unusually high for a man in his mid-40s, hence his typecast as shotas, and also why he's viewed as a Base Breaker and even a borderline Creator's Pet in the fandom when it comes with voicing characters past childhood age, the biggest examples being Gareki and Keisaku Sato. In his defense, this is mostly because he's been in the business so long that his acting skills for most personality types is pretty solid, so he's cast in major roles ad nauseam. It's unfortunate that his voice doesn't always fit the appearance of who he's acting as.
- Digital Piracy and Fansubs are Evil: Something he kind of stressed in every panel, to the point of using a steamroller to destroy bootlegs.
- Dye Hard: Does this in every convention.
- Game-Breaking Injury: In his youth, Greg was badly assaulted, and suffered considerable injuries to his mouth and jaw. He needed bridgework and other dental procedures to correct the issues...which over time have deteriorated and recently fallen out. A donation drive was set up to raise the ten thousand dollars needed for surgery.
- Irony: Greg, as he described himself, was "an anime fan who hated English anime," on the "Sub" side of the "Sub vs Dub" debate; now he works as a voice actor for English dubs of anime.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: While he has a very narrow vocal range, Greg can feasibly perform as just about any kind of character, be they Hot-Blooded, Nice Guys, Butt Monkeys, Fragile Flowers, Large Hams, Jerkasses, and even more.
- One of Us: He's been an otaku since he was a kid.
- Older Than He Looks: Take one look at him; would you ever guess that he's in his mid-forties?
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: This is somewhat Zig-Zagged. He's been cast as characters with nearly every personality under the sun, but as mentioned, because of his unusual high-pitch voice for a man, he is often casted into young boys or baby-faced men. More recently, he's been getting frequently cast as bratty, egotistical, and at times Butt Monkey best friends' of main protagonists.
- Playing Against Type: Guldo from Dragonball Z Kai is a villain. Masato Inohara from Little Busters! is a tall, muscular, dumbhead Butt Monkey (with a voice sounding younger than the said appearance)
- There's also Hajime Muroto from Gantz while said character is a teenager, he is also a psychotic serial killer and a rapist.
- Promoted Fanboy
- Smoking Is Cool: Averted. He did used to smoke, but due to fan pressure and concerns of his health, he decided to quit smoking.
- Straight Gay: Is openly gay and lives with his boyfriend/fiancee.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: See the page image, he frequently dyes his hair, ranging from pink to purple to green to yellow, etc.