Greg Ayres is an American voice actor best-known for voicing anime characters. Ayres started out as a fanboy of anime
who was mentioned to ADV film directors.
With his constantly color-changing hair
, this VA has attended more than one hundred and twenty anime conventions as a guest, and countless others as a fan. However, in February 2009, Greg suffered a mild heart attack while attending Ikki Con
in Austin, Texas, which some have attributed to his near non-stop schedule. Greg Ayres is recognized not only for his dub work in popular anime, but also for his multi-talented and charismatic personality at anime conventions. Occasionally his surname is listed as Ayers instead of Ayres
, however this spelling is incorrect as his legal name is "Gregory Ayres".
At most conventions he typically holds a panel on why fansubs hurt the anime industry. He is also known for being a DJ at dances and raves that conventions host.
Greg has enjoyed playing Kaworu Nagisa from Neon Genesis Evangelion
and has said that he is one of his favorite characters.Chris Ayres
, his brother, is also a voice actor/director.
Due to distinctive high-pitch voice (which is unusual for a man in his 40s), he is often cast as young boys
, often either Butt Monkeys
, cute little boys, or Kid Heroes
. In fact, his voice is high-pitched enough to voice young boys that can be as young as 8-years-old
. Basically is the Texan equivalent to California's Bryce Papenbrook
, Ben Diskin
and Matt Hill
Notable roles from Greg Ayres:
Tropes associated with Greg Ayres:
- Ascended Fanboy
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Sometimes, he jokingly describes himself this way.
- Crossdressing Voices: Averted. His high-pitch allows him to voice young boys as young as 8-years-old. In fact, some of the young boy roles he gets are voiced by a woman in the Japanese dub.
- But played straight with Rathy. Although to be fair, the director and even himself mistakes Rathy as a boy.
- Digital Piracy and Fansubs is Evil: Something he kind of stressed in every panel, to the point of using a steamroller to destroy bootlegs.
- Dye Hard: Does this in every convention.
- Everything Is Big in Texas
- Game-Breaking Injury: In his youth, Greg was badly assaulted, and suffered considerable injuries to his mouth and jaw. He needed bridgework and other dental procedures to correct the issues...which over time have deteriorated and recently fallen out. A donation drive was set up to raise the ten thousand dollars needed for surgery.
- Irony: Greg, as he described himself, was "an anime fan who hated English anime," on the "Sub" side of the "Sub vs Dub" debate; now he works as a voice actor for English dubs of anime.
- One of Us: He's been an otaku since he was a kid.
- Older Than He Looks: Take one look at him; would you ever guess that he's in his mid-forties?
- Playing Against Type: Guldo from Dragonball Z Kai is a villain. Masato Inohara from Little Busters! is a tall, muscular, dumbhead Butt Monkey (with a voice sounding younger than the said appearance)
- There's also Hajime Muroto from Gantz while said character is a teenager, he is also a psychotic serial killer and a rapist.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: As mentioned, because of his unusual high-pitch voice for a man, he is often casted into young boys.
- Smoking Is Cool: Averted. He did used to smoke, but due to fan pressure and concerns of his health, he decided to quit smoking.