Creator: Elle Fanning
Mary Elle Fanning (born April 9, 1998) is an American actress from Georgia. She is known as the younger sister of Dakota Fanning, but is gaining recognition as a star in her own right.
- I Am Sam as younger Lucy.
- Daddy Day Care as Jamie.
- My Neighbor Totoro as Mei.
- Because of Winn-Dixie as Sweetie Pie Thomas
- Babel as Debbie Jones
- Déjà Vu as Abbey. Coincidentally, her sister had previously worked with Denzel Washington in Man on Fire.
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as Daisy age 7.
- Astro Boy as Grace.
- The Nutcracker in 3D (2010, dir. Andrei Konchalovsky) as Mary.
- Somewhere as Cleo.
- Super 8 as Alice. Considered by some to be her breakout role.
- Twixt as V.
- Vivaldi as Cristina.
- We Bought a Zoo as Lily.
- Ginger & Rosa as Ginger.
- Maleficent as Princess Aurora.
- The Boxtrolls as Winnie.
Tropes about Elle Fanning:
- Big Little Brother: Or, in this case, Big Little Sister. Elle towers over her older sister,◊ who only comes up to Elle's nose.
- Break the Cutie: A few examples from her roles:
- In Twixt, she plays an orphan girl who is murdered (and possibly also molested) by a corrupt pastor.
- In Ginger and Rosa, her character is a young girl growing up in Cold War-era London, who grows increasingly fearful of an impending nuclear apocalypse.
- In Maleficent, she takes on the role of Aurora, who starts out as an incarnation of Incorruptible Pure Pureness, but has an emotional breakdown when she discovers that not only is she cursed, but the woman she saw as her "fairy godmother" was the reason she was cursed in the first place.
- Creepy Child: As Virginia in Twixt. She even manages to pull off a disturbing Slasher Smile near the end.
- Dawson Casting: Inverted. She was fourteen during filming of Maleficent, while her character Aurora was fifteen/sixteen. She made a more believable teenager, though, as opposed to Aurora's animated incarnation, who was modeled after actresses in their twenties. Didn't stop people from claiming she looked too young, though. Funnily enough, she had turned sixteen when the film finally came out.
- Doing It for the Art: She re-watched Sleeping Beauty in order to prepare for the role of Aurora. She payed particular attention to Aurora's character habits/movements, especially in scenes where Aurora explored the woods.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Dyed her hair red for the role of Ginger. As of late 2014, she's dyed her hair brown for another project she's currently filming.
- Fake Nationality: As English girl Ginger in Ginger and Rosa and Scottish princess Aurora in Maleficent (All There in the Manual reveals that her Aurora is meant to be Scottish).
- Fiery Redhead: As Winnie in The Boxtrolls. Subverted with her character in Ginger and Rosa, who comes off more as an Emo Teen.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Fellow actress Chloe Moretz called her an "ethereal forest elf."
- Mistaken Identity: Used to get mistaken for her big sister. Now that she's gotten older and made more of a name for herself as an actress, it's lessened.
- One of Us: She's a Disney fan, and Sleeping Beauty was one of her favorite films growing up. Naturally, playing Aurora appealed to her. She was also a fan of Cinderella growing up, but gravitated more towards Aurora because she liked pink; ironically, her version of Aurora wears blue and yellow as her primarily colors, as opposed to pink.