Eli Raphael Roth (born April 18, 1972) is an American film director, producer, writer and actor. A proud member of a group of horror directors known as the Splat Pack, Roth is known for his financially successful Gorn
films, sparking the latest trend of R-rated horror
films during a time when PG-13 films were considered more lucrative.Quentin Tarantino
loves him like a brother - they clearly have a lot in common. Best not to ask what that involves. But it sounds like a lot of fun.Uwe Boll
thinks he's a no-talent hack. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.
- Afraid of Blood: Like a lot of gore-tastic directors.
- Carpet of Virility
- Developing Doomed Characters: A good 99% of Roth's protagonists.
- DVD Commentary: He has to do multiple commentaries on his movies, all done by him. One of them has him doing one solo, others have him by different members of the cast and crew. He says the reason there are so many commentaries is because everyone has different stories to tell. He says people have been complaining that they had to sit through all of them. Eli would ask them "Why would you watch ALL of them?". Cabin Fever has FIVE commentaries, Hostel has four and Hostel Part 2 has three.
- Hatedom: Eli Roth hatred is like the Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pig of horror fandom. It's really trendy.
- Motor Mouth: He never shuts up, ever. He admits this on one of the Hostel DVD Commentaries.
- Pigeonholed Director: He clearly admits that all he wants to make are horror movies.
- Tomato in the Mirror: While filming a documentary about sociopaths for the Science Channel, he allowed himself to be profiled by a specialist in Antisocial Personality Disorder. The profile revealed that Roth himself possesses many of the traits normally labeled sociopathic.
- Trope Breaker: Roth has long voiced his disapproval of the longstanding horror film trope that says that promiscuous characters always die (and die horribly) while the virgin character ends up the last (wo)man standing. As such, it's common to see in his films that the virgin girl/guy always dying and dying horribly while the manslut/slutty female character survives or at the very least, is the last one killed).
- Younger Than He Looks: Would you believe he's 41?