Creator: Denzel Washington
"The Book of Eli starring Gary Oldsmobile and Denzel Washingmachine!"
- The Book of Eli (Abridged), Machinima,comDenzel Washington (born 1954) is an American actor, screenwriter, director and film producer.Although his first major role was in the classic Ensemble Cast Medical Drama, St. Elsewhere, he has garnered much critical acclaim for his work in film since the 1990s, including for his portrayals of real-life figures, such as Steve Biko (Cry Freedom), Malcolm X, Rubin Carter (The Hurricane), Melvin B. Tolson (The Great Debaters), Frank Lucas (American Gangster) and Herman Boone (Remember the Titans). In case you're wondering, he's been approached to play Martin Luther King Jr., but he's declined for fear of the Typecasting that kind of role would create.Washington has been awarded three Golden Globe awards and two Academy Awards for his work. He is notable as the second African American man (after Sidney Poitier) to win the Academy Award for Best Actor, which he received for his role in the 2001 film Training Day. He starred as John Creasy in Man on Fire. Recently starred in the 2006 thriller Déjà Vu the 2009 remake of The Taking of Pelham 123, and the 2010 post-apocalyptic action film The Book of Eli. He also played Joe Miller in Philadelphia, which was the second big-budget Hollywood film to present AIDS, homophobia, and gays in a realistic and thoughtful light.For his 2012 film Safe House, he allowed himself to be water-boarded for real to make the performance more realistic. His next film was Flight, which came out in November 2012, and for which he was nominated for another Oscar.
- St. Elsewhere (1982-1988) - Dr. Philip Chandler
- A Soldier's Story (1984) - Pfc. Peterson
- Cry Freedom (1987) - Steve Biko
- Glory (1989) - Pvt. Trip
- Malcolm X (1992) - Malcolm X
- Much Ado About Nothing (1993) - Don Pedro
- The Pelican Brief (1993) - Gray Grantham
- Philadelphia (1993) - Joe Miller
- Crimson Tide (1995) - Lt. Commander Ron Hunter
- Virtuosity (1995) - Lt. Parker Barnes
- Courage Under Fire (1996) - Lt. Col. Nathan 'Nat' Serling
- Fallen (1998) - John Hobbes
- The Siege (1998) - Anthony "Hub" Hubbard
- The Bone Collector (1999) - Lincolm Rhyme
- The Hurricane (1999) - Rubin Carter
- Remember the Titans (2000) - Coach Herman Boone
- Training Day (2001) - Officer Alonzo Harris
- John Q. (2002) - John Quincy Archibald
- Man on Fire (2004) - John Creasy
- The Manchurian Candidate (2004) - Ben Marco
- Inside Man (2006) - Detective Keith Frazier
- Déjà Vu (2006) - Doug Carlin
- American Gangster (2007) - Frank Lucas
- The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (2009) - Walter Garber
- The Book of Eli (2010) - Eli
- Unstoppable (2010) - Frank
- Flight (2012) - Flight Captain Whip Whitaker
- 2 Guns (2013) - DEA Special Agent Robert "Bobby" Trench
- The Equalizer (2014) - Robert McCall
This actor's work provides examples of:
- Character Tic: Many of his characters play with their hands because he broke his right pinky finger while playing American football and reinjured it many times since that it frequently dislocates and can extend out to an extreme angle and he is making sure that the finger is in place while shooting a scene.
- Large Ham: Has a quite a way to ham when needed.
- Old Shame: Washington wishes he had never done Heart Condition, claiming that he was talked into making this movie by his agent and once it was slammed by critics and bombed horribly, Washington fired him shortly thereafter.
- Real Men Love Jesus: He's the son of a pastor, and he's noted how he reads his Bible daily and prays regularly.