Fathom is a comic book created by Michael Turner and originally published by Top Cow Productions. It debuted in 1998 and was Michael Turner's first creator-owned comic book series, Fathom is published by Turner's own company, Aspen MLT. The plot of Fathom follows Aspen, a girl involved in a mysterious cruise ship disappearance only for the ship to reappear out of thin air ten years later. Aspen gets caught up in the mysterious events, coming to grips with her apparent water-based powers in the process.
Tropes associated with this work include:
- Ambiguously Brown: Aspen herself.
- Apparently Human Merfolk
- Covers Always Lie: Aspen or another female character will appear on the cover in an extremely skimpy string bikini (if she's even wearing that much). On the inside, though still in a two-piece suit, it's often a far more modest athletic bathing suit.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Both the Blue and the Black largely go barefoot, as they live underwater. Played straighter with Aspen, who tended to ditch her sandals whenever she felt like it. Slightly averted with Cannon, as he's a Blue who tends to wear casual, modern clothes (shoes included). His first appearance was in a suit.
- Elemental Shapeshifter
- Emergency Trainee Battle Deployment: Kiani has recently reunited with her younger sister and they are under frequent attacks by Admiral Maylander, who believes them to be enemies of America. Kiani keeps sending Anika off to guard the village while she fights, then when Admiral Mayhab brings out his latest weapon, hydrophagic engineered soldiers, Kiani says that "both of them are needed" to fight this new threat.
- Fanservice: Lots of it. Slightly justified by the fact that the vast majority of the series takes place in or or near the ocean, but it's usually a tropical zone. Just do an image search for "Fathom" (nothing else needed) to see just how much of it there is.
- Ironic Nickname: "Joker"'s backstory has him mention that, at least at first, this was the reason for his callsign. By the time of the story proper, though, he has grown into being a regular Class Clown (by Navy standards).
- Making a Splash: Aspen's power.
- Military Mashup Machine: An amphibious jet-fighter, based on a recovered fighter from the race the titular character is from. Semi-F-14ish with variable wings, but mounted with a forward sweep design.
- Olympic Swimmer: Aspen was already an Olympic level swimmer before realizing her powers.
- Ruthless Modern Pirates
- Shout-Out: One of the earlier issues in 2017 had a page referencing political figures from social media like Anita Sarkeesian, Paul Joseph Watson, The Young Turks, Milo Yiannopoulos, Chris Ray Gun and Shoe 0n Head.
- Statuesque Stunner
- Take Over the World: Both the Blue and the Black keep switching between this and Kill All Humans throughout the series.