Comic Book: Chakan: The Forever Man
"I hunt... and fight... and kill, until the end of my curse."Chakan: The Forever Man is a comic series made by RAK Graphics that was made into a Sega Genesis video game. It tells the story of Chakan, a sorcerer and a warrior of great skill that was so unbeatable, he declared that Death himself would not be able to beat him. Death, upon hearing this made a deal with Chakan. If Chakan wins, he gets eternal life, but if Chakan loses, his soul belongs to Death for him to do with as he wishes. Chakan accepts and the two did battle. Eventually, Chakan won the fight and was granted his gift. However, this gift turned out to be a curse as Chakan's visage was made to match that of Death's, and he is in constant torment by the visions of evil. If Chakan destroys all the evil in the physical and elemental planes, only then would he be granted eternal rest.Chakan: The Forever Man the video game is notorious for being incredibly difficult, with unforgiving platforming elements and enemies that seem to come out of nowhere. However, it has won itself a small, yet devoted, fanbase.
- An Axe to Grind: The best weapon you can find.
- Alchemy Is Magic: The main source ofpowerfups in the game.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Congratulations, Chakan, for defeating Death and achieving eternal life. Shame it's more of a curse that puts you in eternal torment.
- Collision Damage
- Color-Coded Elements: The elemental effects you can imbue your swords with are fire (orange flames), water/ice (blue flames), wind (blue electricity) and earth (green electricity).
- Deal with the Devil: What sets off the events of the game.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Chakan defeats Death and is given his reward of eternal life. The post credits boss can also be defeated.
- Drop the Hammer
- Dual Wielding: Chakan's default weapons are a pair of swords: an Eastern ninjato and a Western cruciform blade.
- Easy-Mode Mockery: If you're playing on Practice mode, you can't get to the second half of the game except through a secret method.note
- Hearts Are Health: Played with, as Chakan's health bar is represented by skulls.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: Unless you're sufficiently equipped, the post credits boss.
- It Has Only Just Begun: Death taunts Chakan with this in the game's credits
- Jerkass Genie: Death bestows Chakan with eternal life as promised. This did not include eternal youth. He then promises to undo the curse if Chakan destroys all evil, only to reveal at the end that he meant Chakan has to destroy all evil in the UNIVERSE.
- Multiple Endings: Based on whether you kill the last boss or not.
- Nice Hat: You bet Chakan is rocking this.
- Nintendo Hard: Heralded by many as the hardest video game of all time. It's not easy even on the "Practice" difficulty setting (which grants infinite potions).
- No Ending: If you somehow do manage to beat the Hopeless Boss Fight after the credits, Chakan's immortality problem still won't be solved and you're treated to the hourglass screen for a LONG time until the small Sequel Hook stinger appears.
- No Pronunciation Guide: How do you pronounce Chakan anyway?
- The Problem with Fighting Death: Chakan learns this the hard way.
- Scare Chord: Chakan's battle cry right there at the Sega logo.
- Sequel Hook: "NOT the end", says the hourglass ending screen. Unfortunately, the Dreamcast sequel was cancelled.
- Elements of the sequel would eventually be recycled in Blood Omen II.
- Sinister Scythe
- Shaggy Dog Story: Even if you beat the game and defeat Death a second time, Chakan never regains his mortality.
- Time Abyss: The dragonfly king has have lived for millions of years, and seeks to rebuild his primeval kingdom, assumedly from the Carboniferous era.
- Chakan himself, arguably. He's lived for "only" a thousand years in comparison, but he definitely hasn't enjoyed it.
- Timed Mission: You're only given so much time to complete a level before it kicks you out and you have to start it over again.
- The Vamp: One of the bosses.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: The whole purpose of Chakan's mission is to be free of his immortality.