A 2011 video game adaptation based off the Marvel Studios film Captain America: The First Avenger
. It takes place during the film, expanding on the adventures of Captain America against HYDRA. The gameplay is deliberately styled after Batman: Arkham Asylum
. Despite this (or, possibly, because of it), the game is generally decent, with most of the fun relying on the fact that you play as the shield-slinging Captain.
Notably, Chris Evans
, Sebastian Stan
, and Hayley Atwell
reprised their roles for the game. Evans was so impressed by the gameplay that it inspired him and Joe and Anthony Russo to give Cap a more dynamic fighting style in Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The game contains examples of the following tropes:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Though perhaps justified as they are an intentionally built underground method of getting around.
- Badass: The Captain himself. Every punch and hit of the shield is pretty damn satisfying.
- Big Bad: Zola.
- Foreshadowing: The game sets up a number of plot points related to Captain America: The Winter Soldier without meaning to. First Zola is able to synthesize the SSS from Rogers blood. This explains how he's able to treat Barnes with his own version of the SSS which allows Barnes to go toe to toe with Rogers in the second film. Second, the helicopters that Hydra uses at the end of the game are reminiscent of the Quinjets Shield uses. They can both hover in a stationary position and their primary armament is a minigun supplemented with rockets, which hints at how Hydra infiltrates Shield over time. Finally, Zola's plan to use Falsworth as a brainwashed weapon against the allies is exactly what he ends up doing to Barnes's character. Using him as a weapon in the service of hydra. Also Zola in the games has started to experiment with technology that allows him to transfer his mind into machines. Something that he does successfully 40 years later at Camp Leheigh.
- Five-Man Band
- Five-Bad Band:
- Gas Mask Mooks: Nearly every enemy in the game. Perhaps only justified in the Madam Hydra fight, as she tosses gas canisters around the arena.
- Humongous Mecha: The fruit of all of Zola's plans and the last boss of the game. It really is humongous.
- Mythology Gag: Zola's Zola bots essentially foreshadow how Zola will appear in modern times.
- Both the classic and Ultimate versions of Cap's costume are unlockable.
- When Falsworth is captured by Zola, he plans on turning Falsworth into a brainwashed version of Union Jack. The name is never said, but it's heavily implied.
- Role Reprisal: As stated above some of the actors from the movie return to voice their characters.
- Shout-Out: Just about every one of the chapter titles is this to several WWII films.
- The Stinger: Zola removes himself from one of his Zola bots and the Skull commands him to get back to work, that they'll soon be facing off with Captain America once again.
- Super Soldier: Well, duh.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Halfway during the Iron Cross fight, the Red Skull nearly yells this out. "I'm surrounded by incompetence!"