"We have two catch-22 situations simultaneously. Is there even a name for that?"
The foul-mouthed Vice President of the United States who longs for more power. Played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
"I am in a room with three people and a fuckload of quiche".
The long-suffering Vice Presidential Chief of Staff. Played by Anna Chlumsky.
"Every single thing you say to me is emasculating. Do you realize that?"
The fiercely loyal personal assistant to the Vice President. Played by Tony Hale.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Not that he minds.
- Butt Monkey
- Deadpan Snarker: A notable exception.
- Establishing Character Moment: Burns his hands holding VP Meyer's hot coffee cup while she has an idle conversation. He'll go on to do similar things in later episodes.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Seems to know everything about everyone in the Washington DC political scene, including his boss. This is very useful to Selina. Has pretty much no knowledge of policy, but that's not his job.
- I Take Offense to That Last One: While playing devil's advocate, Dan predicts that Selina's policy will destroy America, capping it off by saying that she'll become so infamous that no one will ever name their child Selina again. After a stunned moment of silence, Gary says, "My God... no more Selinas?" He's immediately shushed.
- Taking the Bullet: Well, it's actually a sneeze bullet.
- Undying Loyalty: To the Veep. He even breaks up with her boyfriend!
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His dad has little respect for him and his job.
"So you my friend, have your cock out at a funeral".
The Director of Communications for the Vice President. Has a fake dog he uses to get out of work, which his co-workersnote
call a Bullshitzu. Played by Matt Walsh.
"I'm from the White House, and what the fuck are you doing?"
The White House Liason to the Vice President's office, and a notorious(ly bad) womanizer. Played by Timothy Simons.
"Yeah, well, next time pack an espresso in your big fucking bitch bag".
The former Director of Communications for Senator Hallows, until he sabotages her in an attempt to curry favour with Selina. This gets him a job under Mike as Deputy Director of Communications for Selina. Probably the most competent of the Veep staff. Played by Reid Scott.
"If I were writing a memoir, which I'm not, but if I were, whoo, this would be a big moment."
The Personal Assistant to the Vice President. Played by Sufe Bradshaw.