Characters: The Obernewtyn Chronicles
open/close all folders
Our protagonist, a prickly, solemn orphan with secret telepathic powers and a destiny she can't begin to imagine.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Hero: She moves between types 2 and 3.
- The Chosen One
- Consummate Liar, thanks to the secrecy her talents and quest demanded from an early age.
- The Determinator
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Emotionless Girl, at first; later, or to her friends, Defrosting Ice Queen
- Friend to All Living Things: but interestingly, not The Heart. She's rather insensitive, she just gets along with animals.
- Green Eyes
- Healing Factor as of The Farseekers.
- In-Series Nickname: Elspethelf, from Matthew.
- No Social Skills: her time in the Council orphanages left her cagy and off-putting to most.
- Oblivious to Love: Perpetually. She's explicltly written as unusually dense about emotional issues.
- Willfully Weak: Elspeth. Despite having extraordinary mental prowess as a farseeker, coercer, and beastspeeker, she restrains and limits her use of her killing power (which comes from the raw centre of power deep within her mind), making her considerably weaker than she would be if she used her full potential (mostly because she's afraid at what might happen if she looses control of it). That said, if you threaten her True Companions, she will throw her entire arsenal of considerable power at the situation.
This angelic yet sadistic Misfit, eager assistant at the Mad Scientist Laboratory
at Obernewtyn, becomes Elspeth's repeat antagonist.
The enigmatic, stoical, and abrupt farm worker at Obernewtyn who becomes a key figure in La Résistance
The aristocratic type who loses it all when he's declared a Misfit, but gains true friends in Elspeth and the rest.
A romantic, eager farseeker; best friends with Elspeth and Dameon.
A feral child with great powers and great beauty.
A one-eyed cat, Elspeth's devoted yet crotchety companion. Given to cryptic warnings.
A prideful stallion with a hatred for humans who comes to tolerate Elspeth.