open/close all folders
Battle for Meridell
- Adipose Rex
- Fat Bastard: Well, he did start a war with Darigan for their resources, and he is fat as all Skeiths are fat.
- Big Eater: He eats a lot on his lunch breaks.
- Disk One Final Boss: For all the players siding with Darigan. He had the stats to live up to it.
- Grumpy Old Man: He's elderly, male, and grumpy.
- The Cynic: It takes a lot of work to cheer him up.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He started the Darigan War, and is very grumpy, but is a fair king and didn't mean to start the war.
- Nice Girl: Gives Neopoints to the poor, makes plants grow, and provides shelter in times of war.
- The Quest: Sends players on quests
- Fetch Quest: To fetch objects.
- Nature Lover: She is an Earth Faerie, and is shown to enjoy nature.
- Nature Hero: Is a heroine as well as liking nature.
- Skunk Stripe: Her green strip in her hair.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cream cookies.
- Disney Death: Apparently dies from falling off of the floating Darigan citadel in the second war. After the war ended, it turned out he'd been saved.
- Doomed Moral Victor: Implied to be his fate in the original timeline.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Originally the equivalent of a modern-day child.
- Going Native: But growing up in a medieval world has had the greater effect on him now.
- Knight in Shining Armor: A textbook example.
- Noble Lupe
- Action Girl: Well, she did lead the group of heroes.
- Ascended Fangirl: Originally the equivalent of a d&d nerd, along with her friends.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: It proves surprisingly effective against the bullies she dealt with in school. Then she starts shooting spells from her toy(?) wand...
- The Leader: of her group of heroes.
- Took a Level in Badass
Lord of Darigan Citadel.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He was just looking out for his own people.
- Hates Small Talk: If you visit his chambers just to say hi, he will shoo you out.
- Heel–Face Turn: He is described as "once evil".
- Disney Death: In the first war he fell to his apparent death, but was found and nursed to health by a child.
- Demonic Possession: He was possessed by The Three.
- Lord Country: Lord Darigan of the Darigan Citadel.
- Big Bad: Of the second war with Meridell.
- Blackmail: One of the many methods he used to get others to work for him.
- Dragged Off to Hell: In the end, it appears the Three do something like this to him.
- Dragon Ascendant: He was originally one of Darigan's generals, then took over the Citadel at the end of the first Meridell war.
- Mind-Control Eyes: His eyes turn green when he gets visions from the Three.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Villainous Breakdown: When the Three come for him after he fails to win the war.
- Villains Want Mercy: He begs for his life before being dragged off by the Three.
- Ambition Is Evil: One of them is named Ambition.
- The Corrupter: They try to inspire the emotions they are named after until the person they corrupt is incapable of feeling anything else and they usually go for rulers.
- Fat Bastard: One of them is a Skeith.
- The Fair Folk: One of them is a Faerie.
- Greed: One of them is named Greed.
- The Man Behind the Man: To both Darigan and Kass.
- Revenge: One of them is named Revenge.
Hannah and the Ice Caves
- Action Girl: She's an adventurer and explorer.
- Ascended Extra: She started off with her own Flash game and a two-part Neopedia article about her adventure, which were both high quality and more than most Neopets characters got, but nothing that implied there would be anything more to her. Then they threw her into a more serious plot...
- Badass Boast: At the beginning of the Ice Caves comic, she sings about her adventures in a tavern.They call me Hannah the brave, Hannah the quick / I'll get you the gems and be out in a tick / Pirates and monsters are no match for me / When they see Hannah coming, they all turn and flee!
- The Hero: If Hannah and the Ice Caves.
- Fountain of Expies: Many later plot protagonists borrowed traits from her.
- Married at Sea: At the end of Curse of Maraqua, she is seen aboard a ship marrying Kanrik.
- Scars Are Forever: Even after Taelia removes its evil magic, Hannah is informed that the Mark of Ta-Kutep will remain with her forever.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: The Mark of Ta-Kutep, which seems to be slowly killing her. Taelia is able to heal her in the end, however.
The current leader of the Thieves Guild. He took over upon defeating the former leader, Galem Darkhand. He used to be a lover of Masila, though now it's been heavily hinted that he's in a relationship with Hannah.
- Badass Cape: He has a dark purple cloak.
- Gentleman Thief: He is this.
- Heel–Face Turn: After Masila betrayed him, he joined Hannah's side.
- Lovable Rogue: He can be very charming.
- Manipulative Bastard: Initially. He tells Hannah a sob story about his sister being sick to convince her to lead him to a lost tomb, where the cure supposedly could be found. In reality, he was on a mission to retrieve an ancient coffin for Galem.
- Thieves' Guild: He's the leader of Neopia's Thieves Guild.
A scheming Acara who was supposedly the lover of Galem, but her true feelings were for Kanrik. However, that didn't stop her from betraying him.
- Classy Cat-Burglar: Her species is even cat-like!
- Dark Mistress: The lover of Galem.
- Femme Fatale: She is known as the Mistress of the Double-cross.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: A TCG card's flavour text describes her cloak as this almost word-for-word.
- Outlaw Couple: With Galem, though she doesn't really love him.
- Pimped-Out Cape: She has a fancy purple cloak that could possibly have magical powers.
The former leader of the Thieves Guild. He led an attack on the Bori in the Ice Caves. Masila and Kanrik plotted his death, but when that failed, Galem attempted an alliance with the Bringer of Night, only to be betrayed by him as well. Galem lost a fight with Kanrik in the Ice Caves and it was heavily implied that he was killed.
- Blatant Burglar: Out of all the thieves, his is the outfit (complete with mask) that screams this the most.
- Cool Mask: He wears one.
- Killed Off for Real: It is assumed that Kanrik ended up killing him.
- No Honor Among Thieves: Lampshaded by the flavour text of his TCG card: "They say there is honour among thieves. There was, until HE arrived."
- Outlaw Couple: With Masila, though she is feigning love for him.
- Rugged Scar: He has three parallel scars on his mouth.
ArminA small Bori who befriended Hannah.
The Bringer of NightAn ancient Moehog who once waged war against the Bori tribe. They froze themselves in ice to escape him, and in the meantime he was laid to rest in a tomb in the Lost Desert. He was freed by the Thieves Guild and once again attacked the Bori.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He was, until the Thieves Guild set him free.
The Keeper of TimeThe leader of the Bori tribe who watched over them while they were frozen for their protection.
Curse of Maraqua
- Anti-Hero: He helped to save Maraqua, but still he's a pirate with little remorse for theft.
- The Captain: of the Black Pawkeet.
- Disney Death: In the Curse of Maraqua plot, he is thrown overboard and presumed dead but comes back to life.
- The Hero: of the Curse of Maraqua plot.
- The Leader: of his crew.
- Lovable Rogue: He's on the side of good, but refuses to give up his life of piracy.
- Pirate: What he is.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: In a bar on Scurvy Island, he tells his friend Talak about the Maraquans rebuilding their city. One of Scarblade's crewmembers happens to be there and overhears the whole thing.
- Big Bad: of the Curse of Maraqua plot.
- The Captain: of the Revenge.
- Captain Ersatz: For Captain Dread, who destroyed Maraqua the first time, then never appeared again.
- The Dreaded: He is portrayed as this.
- Dressed to Plunder: His outfit.
- Evil Laugh: There is a random event on the site where "you hear the cackling of a MAD PIRATE CAPTAIN". He is pictured along with it.
- Eyepatch of Power: He's got an eyepatch over his right eye.
- Pirate: What he is.
- Seadog Beard: His is styled from the fur on his chin.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Of course he does, since he is one.
- Walk the Plank: One TCG card has him doing this to a Wocky crewmember, to whom he says "Don't worry, lad. We'll take good care o' your share o' the treasure!"
- Adipose Rex: Like Skarl and Hagan, Kelpbeard is a pretty portly patriarch.
- Badass Beard: He has one.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Back when Maraqua was first destroyed, King Kelpbeard looked much different, and was known as King Koi instead of his actual name.
- Fantastic Racism: Initially he did not trust surface-dwellers, and would never allow them in his kingdom.
- Prongs of Poseidon: He is a trident user of the first type.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He participates in the battle of Maraqua, and ends up defeating Scarblade in one-on-one combat.
- Did Not Get the Guy: Though it's implied that she has romantic feelings for Garin, he seems oblivious and chooses not to remain in Maraqua when she asks him to.
- Hopeless Suitor: It is hinted that she has fallen in love with Garin, but he never seems to realise it.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: She is essentially an Aisha mermaid.
- Plucky Girl: She defies the king and leaves Maraqua to warn others about the visions she has.
- Psychic Powers: Can see the future in her dreams.
The sister of Isca, who was banished merely because the psychic visions she gets are about bad things happening.
- All of the Other Reindeer: She is feared by the Maraquans, who believe she is intentionally bringing misfortune to them, when in reality she cannot control her visions.
- Bearer of Bad News: She has the ability to see bad things that will happen in the future through her nightmares, and is ostracized because of this.
- Blessed with Suck: She has psychic abilities, but can only foresee misfortune, which makes her very unpopular in comparison with her sister, who sees the exact opposite.
- Broken Bird: Punished for her negative Psychic Powers, which are beyond her control.
- But Now I Must Go: Because of her help, she is invited back to Maraqua at the end of the story. She declines, though, preferring to live alone.
- The Cassandra: No one in Maraqua wants to believe her prophecies, let alone hear them, which is why she was banished.
- Ice Queen: Considering the way she was treated by the Maraquans, who can blame her?
- Psychic Powers: Like her sister, she can see the future in her dreams, but only bad things.
- The Unfavourite: So much so that she was made to leave Maraqua because of her abilities while her sister was praised for hers.
The Lost Desert Plot
- The High Queen: Of Sakhmet.
- Politically Active Princess: As shown in the Desert Diplomacy event, she takes an active part in the politics of Sakhmet.
- Princesses Rule: She hasn't changed her title since inheriting the throne out of respect for her late father.
- Rebellious Princess: She has had many suitors, but she always tells them that she will never marry anyone.
- Decoy Protagonist: Looks like a (if not the) main character early on, but ends up doing nothing significant. The real leads were Nabile and Jazan.
- Street Urchin: As a child.
- Thieves' Guild: A member of a local one called the Desert Scarabs.
- Happily Married: To Jazan.
- May–December Romance: The May to Jazan's December.
- Really Royalty Reveal: A portrait of her princess ancestor just happens to be hanging behind her as she voices her disapproval of the wedding of Jazan and Amira. With her newfound royal status, she is eligible to marry Jazan instead.
- Royal Blood: The descendant of a princess Jazan once loved.
- The Smart Girl: To the Desert Scarabs.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: She objects to the marriage of Jazan and Amira, pointing out that he doesn't love her and she'll never love him. Upon doing so she proclaims her own love for Jazan.
- Street Urchin: As a child.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To a princess Jazan once loved.
- Suddenly Suitable Suitor: For Jazan, when it's revealed she has royal blood.
- Thieves' Guild: A member of a local one called the Desert Scarabs.
- Why Waste a Wedding?: She, rather than the unwilling Amira, marries Jazan.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: Attempts this by trapping Sakhmet in another dimension as he thinks marriage is a Curse Escape Clause.
- Curse Escape Clause: He thinks that marriage will free him and the city of Qasala from their curse, but it turns out not to be the case. Turns out it just brought Razul back and killing him was the real escape clause.
- Grumpy Bear: He is this especially when dealing with Hanso.
- Guyliner: He's so well-known for his that there is a wearable makeup item based on it.
- Happily Married: To Nabile.
- May–December Romance: The December to Nabile's May due to having been undead for centuries.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's been cursed for a long time.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In his undead form.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He is carrying out his own investigation in The Faeries' Ruin plot.
- The Snark Knight: So very much.
- Sour Supporter: In The Faeries' Ruin.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs:Altador: Jazan!Jazan: That's King Jazan, Altador.
- The Undead: Until Razul dies.
- Villainous Friendship: With Nightsteed.
- Why Waste a Wedding?: He is married to Nabile rather than the unwilling Amira, as was originally intended.
- Hellish Horse: Just as undead as Jazan was.
- Mummy: Has the bandages of one.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's at least as old as Jazan.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- The Undead: Even after the curse was lifted. He's used to it by now, though.
- Villainous Friendship: With Jazan.
- Winged Unicorn: He's a Uni.
- Archnemesis Dad: To Jazan.
- Big Bad: Of the Lost Desert plot.
- Dem Bones: He's a fiery skeleton dressed in robes.
- Killed Off for Real: By Jazan.
- No Ontological Inertia: His death lifts the curse in Jazan and his city.
- Playing with Fire
- Sorcerous Overlord: He used to rule Qasala and was responsible for the curse in the first place.
- The Undead
The Tale of Woe
Sophie the Swamp Witch.
- Broken Bird: Her grumpy personality likely stems from the fact that as a little girl she was forced to flee into the woods after her brother unwittingly brought a curse upon their hometown that transformed its citizens into monsters. She lived in isolation and wasn't reunited with her family for years afterward.
- But Now I Must Go: After curing Neovia, she tells her parents and siblings that as much as she loves them, she has decided to return to her shack in the woods, because the town just isn't home to her anymore.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Downplayed. She's female and owns several Meowclopses, which are sort of like cats.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She is a loner, lives in the Haunted Woods, and is, of course, a witch, but she is not evil. In fact she cured the Neovian Curse.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has plenty of moments.Neovian Citizen: Welcome back to Neovia!Sophie: Not quite the same welcome as before, is it?
- Defrosting Ice Queen: At first she is very grouchy and cynical, but when it becomes clear that the curse on Neovia can be lifted, she starts to defrost.
- Find the Cure: In the Tale of Woe plot she sought a mystical flower that cured the Neovian Curse.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: She has one when she sees her family and the other townspeople in their monster forms. After racing back to her shack, she manages to pull herself together.
- Hot Witch: She is very beautiful.
- The Medic: She was the one who cured the Neovian Curse.
- Nice Girl: She "would turn you into a petpetpet, but is too nice".
- Parents in Distress: She works to free her mother and father, as well as brothers, from the curse that is on them.
- The Snark Knight: She's sarcastic and cynical practically all the time.
- Solitary Sorceress: She is definitely this.
- The Stoic: She saw the skeleton of a deceased Acara, but stayed stoic.
A sweet yet painfully shy young Gelert whose longing to impress a girl he loved inadvertently led to the ruin of his entire town.
- Adorkable: Very much so.
- Baleful Polymorph: In the hopes of becoming stronger, Bruno drinks a potion that has the unfortunate side effect of turning him into a monster.
- Beauty to Beast: Bruno started out as a handsome, if gangly, Gelert.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He longed for physical strength, and he has it now, but as a hulking, deformed monster.
- Gentle Giant: Since becoming a monster.
- The Grotesque: After his transformation.
- Hopeless Suitor: He is in love with a pretty Aisha named Lily, but she doesn't return his affection. Of course, she does already have a boyfriend, which probably is more the issue than his being a weakling.
- Muscle Angst: This is why he takes the potion offered by Mr. Krawley. He wants to become muscular to impress his love interest.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: His desperate desire for Lily to notice him inadvertently resulted in his whole town being cursed.
- Willing Channeler: He allows himself to be possessed by the Spirit of Slumber.
- Women Prefer Strong Men: He believes that the girl he loves, Lily, will only return his feelings if he becomes physically stronger.
ReginaldThe intelligent brother of Bruno and Sophie who loves to read.
- Big Brother Instinct: He is suspicious of Ilere and reluctant to leave his little sister in her care when she comes across them in the woods.
- Bookworm:"Pah! Read one book at a time? Watch me take on four!"
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: As a result of the Hissi Oil making him even smarter than he already was, no Neopet could follow his conversations anymore, which forced him to take lonely refuge among his books.
- Teen Genius: He looks to be in his teens and is very smart.
The mother of Bruno, Reginald, and Sophie.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She herself is a purple Zafara.
- Happily Married: To Edmund.
- House Wife: This is what she is.
- Proper Lady: Naturally, being from Neovia and all.
A beautiful young Neovian lady with whom Bruno falls in unrequited love. The fact that she already has an extremely possessive boyfriend is likely the main reason she doesn't return his affection.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Though her outfit looks grey in the plot comic (due to the general dreariness of Neovia), a wearable item based on her hat shows that it is purple.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blonde hair and is portrayed as sweet and kind. When her Crazy Jealous Guy boyfriend threatens Bruno, she tries to stop him (but fails).
- Proper Lady: As Neovian women usually are.
- Satellite Love Interest: She exists solely as the object of Bruno's affection. The plot is set in motion because of his belief that Women Prefer Strong Men.
- Small Role, Big Impact: It was through Bruno's efforts to impress her that their town ended up being cursed.
A mysterious stranger who offered potions that would grant the Neovians everything they ever wanted... only to turn them into monsters soon afterward. When the townspeople became aware of the negative effects of the potions, they discovered Krawley had vanished.
- Bad Samaritan: He sells a potion that he claims will grant the wishes of anyone who drinks it. What he doesn't mention is that it also turns them into hideous monsters.
- The Barnum: He's a charming con artist.
- Con Man: A Hissi Oil seller.
- For the Evulz: It can be gathered that this is the main reason he cursed Neovia.
- Manipulative Bastard: He is able to trick others into taking the potion he offers.
- Master of Disguise: It's heavily implied that he transformed himself into the Elephante who tells the story to Gilly. Their eyes are identical.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: He's a Krawk, which is a Neopian reptile.
- Snake Oil Salesman: Although in Neopia, snake oil is referred to as Hissi oil, since that is the Neopet species closest to snakes.
- The Sociopath: He shows no remorse for cursing Neovia, and no motive for doing so is ever given, save possibly greed.
A young Usul girl who learns about the curse on Neovia and helps Bruno and Sophie to break it.
- Ascended Extra: Originally she was the two-dimensional protagonist of The Castle of Eliv Thade. Then she became one of the main characters in The Tale of Woe and her personality was developed.
- Cheerful Child: She's very optimistic.
- Plucky Girl: She becomes determined to help save Neovia.
- Tagalong Kid: She is seen as this by Sophie.
The Spirit of SlumberA being who helped cure the Neovian townspeople of the effects of the Hissi Oil, but at a price. They all became ghosts, only appearing on Halloween as hollow shells of their former selves.
The mayor of Neovia, who summoned the Spirit of Slumber to help free the town from the monstrous effects of Mr. Krawley's potion. When the curse was eventually lifted, he blamed Bruno for everything that happened and attacked he and Sophie. He hulked out and became the Final Boss of the plot.
- Black Bead Eyes: As a Bruce, he has these. In the plot comic, one is even shown in ominous Extreme Close-Up.
- Green and Mean: He is a green Bruce and a villain.
- Hulking Out: He does this at the end of the plot.
- Mayor Pain: As it turns out, he is the Final Boss the players must defeat... in multiple incarnations.
- Would Hit a Girl: He strikes Sophie, incurring the wrath of Bruno.
A reclusive Earth Faerie who lives deep in the Haunted Woods. She took Sophie in when she fled Neovia as a child, leading her to the shack that would become her home and providing her with everything she would need to become a witch.
The Return of Dr. Sloth
Journey to the Lost Isle
Roxton A. Colchester III
A dashing Lutari adventurer who wants to explore as much of Neopia as he can. He joined the group led by Professor Hugo Fairweather in searching for an island described in the journal of Mad Tongue Murphy. Later he and Clara Chatham discovered the city of Moltara.
- Adventurer Archaeologist
- Adventurer Outfit: He wears one.
- Badass Mustache: He's got one.
- Bold Explorer: His goal is to travel through all of Neopia.
- Continuity Nod: When Clara announces that they've reached the Boat Rental Stand, he says "I believe they prefer the term 'ship'." This is because Rourke was so insistent that others call the SS Primella a ship instead of a boat.
- Nice Hat
The daughter of Professor Fairweather, who found the tablet that helped translate Mad Tongue Murphy's journal.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Roxton.
- Fiery Redhead: She has red hair and can be sassy toward Roxton.
- Hot Librarian
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Though her father isn't evil, he could easily be considered a mad scientist (and is thought of as such by others).
Professor Hugo Fairweather
An archeolinguist and expert of ancient lore who is determined to find an island mentioned in an old journal. He is mocked by his peers, who believe the island is nothing but fantasy.
- Absent-Minded Professor: Is he ever!
- All of the Other Reindeer: His search for the lost island causes him to be ridiculed by his peers, who believe it to be nonsense.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He is seen as this by others, and they may be right... at least to some extent.
- Mad Scientist: Of the non-evil variety.
- Papa Wolf: He is very protective of his daughter, and is outraged when Captain Rourke suggests that they leave the island without waiting for she and Roxton to return.
- They Called Me Mad!: He says this when he finds the lost isle.
An orphan boy who is found to have stowed away on the SS Primella. He ends up tagging along on the trip to the lost isle as a result.
- The Artful Dodger: He is a street-smart orphan.
- Bratty Half-Pint: To some extent.
- Heartwarming Orphan: He manages to soften Captain Rourke's stony heart.
- Kid Sidekick: He becomes the ward of Captain Rourke.
- Little Stowaway: He is introduced as having stowed away on the SS Primella.
- The Captain: Of the SS Primella.
- Deadpan Snarker:"You're not exactly filling me with confidence here, Professor."
- Defrosting Ice King: Initially he's grouchy and cynical, but he ends up having a growing soft spot for the orphaned Scrap.
- Grumpy Bear: He is bitter and pessimistic.
- Hates Being Touched:Roxton: Cheer up, old chap! Where's your sense of adventure?Rourke: You touch me again, and you'll find out.
- Jerkass: Very much one.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When the ship crashes on the lost isle, he is right about their first priority being to fix it. Otherwise they'd have no way to get home and be stuck on an uncharted island forever.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As shown by the grudging affection he has for Scrap.
- Lack of Empathy: He's ready to leave the lost isle without Lilian and Roxton, who haven't returned yet, and says as much to Lilian's father.
- Perpetual Frowner: The only time he cracks a smile is after Scrap saves his life.
- The Snark Knight: He's always snarky and critical of everyone around him.
- Surrounded by Idiots: He believes he is.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: Don't call him Cap, and definitely not Cappy.
- Took a Level in Cynic: It's said that he once trusted a pirate to share buried treasure with him, only to be betrayed and marooned on a desert island.
The Cyodrake's Gaze Plot
- Benevolent Boss: Seems like a pretty reasonable leader to the Gaze sailors.
- The Captain: Of the Cyodrake's Gaze.
- Everything's Better with Llamas: He is a Gnorbu.
- Nice Hat: He wears a red hat with black spots.
- The Atoner: He at least had the good graces to apologize to Hoban after the incident.
- Berserk Button: Do not insult his cooking.
- Butt-Monkey: Every time a user tries to use his cooking pot at Culinary Concoctions, it explodes in his face. A successful recipe has yet to be found.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Shoving Hoban overboard in the middle of a raging thunderstorm for insulting his cooking was a little extreme.
- Lethal Chef: The other crewmembers seem to think so, especially Hoban. He may not be entirely wrong, given Linae's side comment about a particularly bad anchovy casserole.
- Berserk Button: Don't call him a "bad omen".
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's aggressive and short-tempered, but is a competent ship's navigator, all things considered. He hand-wrote an entire map book by himself.
- Does Not Like Spam: Doesn't like Bonju's cooking.Item description of Hoban's Leftovers: It's pretty much full. He barely touched the meal, after all.Item description of Anger Management for Navigators (a book): Rule #1 - always eat the chef's meals, even if it tastes like cardboard.
- Eyes Always Shut: Averted. Most Aishas always have their eyes closed, but Hoban's are always open in the comics to give him a wider range of facial expressions.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: He doesn't seem to get along with the other crewmembers. He's first seen threatening to sail them into a storm during an argument, Linae thinks he's a bad omen because of the previous threat, Anshu is not happy that he won't make a detour to stop for medical supplies, Bonju shoves him overboard for insulting his cooking, and Kentari calls him a lazy bum (though not to his face). That said, all of the above happened during a thunderstorm where everyone was in a bad mood, so we haven't seen how they get along with him normally. And they did recruit the rest of Neopia to search for him when he went missing, and didn't give up until he was found.
- Grumpy Bear: His Neopedia article states that he "[enjoys] a constant state of disgruntlement".
- Jerkass: He seems to be rather grumpy and temperamental, easily getting into arguments.
- The Napoleon: He's fairly short, as well as short-tempered.
- Nice Hat: He wears a little cone-shaped green and brown hat with holes for his ears, which was distributed as a prize to players after the plot.
- Older Than They Look: According to his Neopedia article, he's thirty.
- Spare Body Parts: He's an Aisha and has an extra pair of ears mounted on stalks, which incidentally would be very helpful in his job navigating the seas.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Unlike most of the other Gaze crewmembers, he did not reappear in Shenkuu following the plot and it is unknown what he is doing currently. He did reappear in the Neopets Puzzle Adventure video game and made a few appearances on Better Than You, so it's not like he vanished entirely.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is whitish-blue.
- The Medic: The Gaze's medic, and sells medicine for players to purchase at his shop in Shenkuu.
- Non-Mammalian Hair: He's a Ruki, an insect-like Neopet, with a long white mustache and beard.
- Cats Are Mean: After the thunderstorm began, she was quick to accuse Hoban of having started it. However, she seems to be fairly amicable in all other appearances.
- Does Not Like Spam: She's not a fan of Bonju's cooking, either. "That anchovy casserole really did a number on my—"
- Panthera Awesome: She is a Kougra.
- Pink Means Feminine: She's the only female member of the Gaze and is a pink Kougra.
- Flat Character / Living Prop: Does not get any characterization, doesn't do anything, and doesn't get to tell his version of the night of the thunderstorm.
- Number Two: Captain Tuan's first mate. That's all we know about him.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He is a Scorchio.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Like Hoban, he didn't reappear in Shenkuu following the plot.
- Cool Helmet: He always wears a black one.
- Depending on the Artist: In the second chapter of the comic, some panels give him mitten hands and others give him hands with fingers.
- Master Swordsman: He is the Gaze's weaponmaster, and sells weapons at his shop in Shenkuu, Wonderous Weaponry.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He is a Shoyru.
- Breakout Character: He starred in his own flash game, Revel Roundup.
- Out of Focus: Didn't get much attention in the plot, because he was locked in the storeroom during the thunderstorm and couldn't give evidence about Hoban's disappearance. He later got his own shop, selling foods in Shenkuu, and a game was released where players could play as him.
Atlas of the Ancients
A Wocky girl who works as the assistant to the Wise Gnorbu at the Lunar Temple in Shenkuu. She is originally from Brightvale, but moved to Shenkuu with her family. She teamed up with Roxton on the mission to save Neopia.
- Action Girl:"I'm not afraid of a little danger."
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Roxton.
- Damsel in Distress: Lampshaded when she says "I'm not just some helpless damsel you know."
- Hot Librarian: A bookish and beautiful woman.
- Jumped at the Call: She was eager to join Roxton and Jordie on their mission.
- Plucky Girl: She's determined to prove to Roxton that she is just as good of an adventurer as he is, if not better.
The enthusiastic young sidekick of Roxton.
- All Asians Wear Conical Straw Hats: He wears one, and by his overall outfit it can easily be gathered that he hails from Shenkuu (the Neopian equivalent of ancient China). This would also make sense considering the origin of the character he's based on.
- Badass Adorable: He's a cute little Kougra, but tough enough to accompany Roxton on his adventures.
- Expy: Of Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
- Kid Sidekick: He is one to Roxton.
Mayor of Moltara
The Wise Gnorbu
The Faeries' Ruin
- Badass Longcoat: He wears one.
- Batman Gambit: His false betrayal to Xandra. He even drags his conflict with Brynn into it as a fake motivator.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Brynn.
- The Charmer: He is easily able to sweet-talk others, especially Brynn.
- Comically Missing the Point: His first reaction to seeing the petrified faeries is disappointment because he can't steal their jewelry, which has also been turned to stone."This is terrible... this necklace is solid stone. What a shame."
- Fake Defector: He pretends to join Xandra.
- It's All About Me: He tends to be very egotistical, often bragging about what a great thief he is.
- Lovable Rogue: He is this to a T.
- Sticky Fingers: As a thief, he definitely has these.
- Taken for Granite: As a Heroic Sacrifice to stop Xandra. He gets better.
- Terrible Artist: His stick-figure drawings.
- Unreliable Narrator: As it turns out, he is the one telling the story, and it's strongly implied that he's not doing so entirely accurately.
- You're Insane!: He says this to the Big Bad.
- Anger Born of Worry: She calls Hanso a jerk after he pretends to be getting hurt by an artifact.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: But she doesn't get to finish it.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Hanso.
- Face Palm: She does this in the first comic of The Faerie's Ruin.
- Fiery Redhead: Stubborn, strong, and has red hair to match.
- Smooch of Victory: She gives Hanso one on the cheek in Chapter 17 of The Faerie's Ruin.
- Beneath the Mask: Xandra in the "Faeries' Ruin" plot initially appears helpful, nerdy, and innocent with anger issues. She even wears glasses to heighten the effect (pictured here◊). However, she is revealed to be a Well-Intentioned Extremist with a completely "Machiavellian" and egomaniacal personality. She even makes Faerieland crash!◊
- Fatal Flaw: Her short temper leads to her flying into such a rage over Hanso's insults that she doesn't realize his plan to store her magic and use it against her.
- The Glasses Come Off: She loses hers when things go bad and she reveals herself as the villain. Lampshaded by Hanso when he's taunting her, saying she might be able to aim better if she put them back on. And then again when they're offered as a prize, where the item description says that Xandra and the villain can't be the same person because one wears glasses and the other doesn't.
- Hoist by His Own Petard:Hanso: You know, it's ironic. Xandra was undone by the same artifact that started it all.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: Queen Fyora's most promising pupil until she became a Well-Intentioned Extremist, with emphasis on extreme.
- Visionary Villain: Xandra, who believes the Faeries don't do enough good with their power and thinks everyone else is worse off for depending on them.
- Taken for Granite: Her most current state.
- We Can Rule Together: She says this almost word for word.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Surprisingly, she actually has some valid points.
The War for the Obelisk
The Thieves GuildOne of Neopia's oldest societies, it's maintained a quiet presence in nearly every part of the world for as long as anyone can remember.
KanrikSee his entry in Hannah and the Ice Caves above.
The SwayA secretive group of Neopians who subtly influence events from behind-the-scenes. Even the Meepits fear them.
This classy Lenny lady is the leader of a secret society called the Sway.
- Anti-Villain: The Sway are described as a Type III in their Neopedia entry, their primary goal being keeping peace in Neopia at the cost of free will of others.
- The Chessmaster: She literally uses a chessboard when plotting.
- Creepy Crows: Crokabeks, the Neopian equivalents of crows or ravens, serve as her messengers and also pets.
- Grande Dame: Definitely!
- The Illuminati: She leads the Sway, which seems to be the Neopets version.
- Iron Lady: She is the feared leader of the Sway.
- Power Hair: Hers is styled this way.
A high-ranking member of the Sway.
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome: His amulet of hypnosis.
- Badass Mustache: He has a thin black handlebar mustache. There is even a wearable item based on it called the Members Only Moustache.Member of what? No one knows. But by the looks of this moustache, its gotta be a pretty swanky club.
- Big Fancy Castle: He lives in one.
- Black Cloak: What he wears.
- Evil Chancellor: It would seem he is this to the Duchess (although she herself is a neutral character at best). One line implies that he may try to usurp her."I serve my lady... for now."
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He has an amulet of hypnosis to make potential new members of the Sway forget all about the organization if he doesn't think they're worthy.
The Order of the Red ErisimAn elite group of witches and wizards. They are naturally dedicated to the study of magic... how it works, why it exists, and how to use it to their advantage.
Rasala the Bright
An eager young Bori wizard who recently was promoted to head of the Order of the Red Erisim.
- Ascended Extra: She started out as an unnamed Bori Mage featured on a Neopets TCG card, but for the War of the Obelisk she was given a name and her character was developed.
- Fireballs: She enjoys launching these at her enemies.
- Hot Witch: An attractive female Bori, she is the youngest Neopet ever to lead the Order of the Red Erisim.
- Playing with Fire:"What do you mean, fireballs aren't the answer to everything? Of course they are. You just have to ask the right questions."
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Hers are red.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: She fears that the power of the Obelisk may corrupt her, just as the power Xandra wielded did her.
Alshemar of the Seventh Scroll
Rasala's mentor, a wise wizard.
- Alchemy Is Magic: There is a scene in the Neopedia article where he is mixing potions for the upcoming war.
- The Archmage: He is an ancient and learned wizard.
- Crystal Ball: He is shown with one of these in his hand.
- Magic Staff: He holds one.
- The Mentor: To Rasala.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: His outfit.
- Wizard Beard: He's got one.
Hilda the Hedgewitch
A highly skilled witch who has won the Cauldron Throwdown competition seven years in a row. Ganfrey the Good is a friend of hers.
- Magic Cauldron: She must have experience with these as she was champion of the Cauldron Throwdown seven years running.
- Magic Wand: She uses one."Let's see how much power we can call forth from this old wand, shall we?!?"
- Nice Hat: She wears a dark red witch's hat.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Her outfit.
- Witch Classic: She's your typical witch.
Ganfrey the Good
This minor warlock of the Order of the Red Erisim is friends with Hilda the Hedgewitch.
- Deadpan Snarker: His reaction to Hilda using her powers to make a cookie bigger after she complains about wasting magic to fight for the Obelisk."Clearly a more noble use for magic than winning a war."
- Magic Wand: He uses one.
- Nice Hat:"A wizard without a pointy hat isn't a proper wizard."
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Like most all of the members of the Order.
A member of the Order of the Red Erisim who tends to mumble a lot and so is hard to understand.
- Fireballs: He is able to conjure blue fireballs.
- Magic Staff: He holds one.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Like most all of the members of the Order.
- The Unintelligible: No one knows what he's saying as he's always mumbling.
- Wizard Beard: He has one.
The Brute SquadFounded by Commander Flint, a former general in the army of Altador, this group of physically strong Neopets has the noble goal of keeping Neopia safe from trouble. It takes years of training to qualify to join their ranks.
The tough-as-nails Skeith commander of the Brute Squad.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He is shown to have a close relationship with his mother."Yay, Mom sent me a care package with chocolate chip cookies. *sniff* What are you looking at? Get out there and FIGHT!"
- Dumb Muscle: The incredibly strong Flint doesn't seem too smart when it comes to anything other than tactical matters.
- No Indoor Voice: Lampshaded in one of his lines: "THIS IS MY INSIDE VOICE!"
- Stout Strength: Flint is overweight and muscular.
- Strength Equals Worthiness: He values strength above everything and looks down on those he sees as weak.
Alhana the Patient
A member of the Brute Squad who often recruits new members. She makes it clear to others that being tough doesn't make you mean.
- Amazonian Beauty: She is muscular and not bad-looking.
- Carry a Big Stick: Her weapon is a mace.
- Fiery Redhead: She's got red hair, and definitely has a temper.
- Genius Bruiser: She's portrayed as being both tough and intelligent, and wants to clear up misconceptions others have about strong Neopets.
- Strength Equals Worthiness: One of the phrases she will say to taunt an opponent is "You are not worthy."
- The Un-Smile: She is described as having "the sort of grin that made lesser Neopets shiver and run for the nearest faerie."
A talented jazz trumpet player, this Poogle's intimidating appearance made it hard for him to find work. When he came across a recruitment booth for the Brute Squad, he decided that was the place for him and signed up.
- Gentle Giant: His problem is that he's a Nice Guy, but others are scared of him due to his appearance.
- Hidden Depths: He's a tough guy, but he also plays the jazz trumpet.
- Jazz: He is a jazz musician who plays the trumpet. Unfortunately, being scary-looking put an end to his career.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: He's believed to be mean just because he's large and tough-looking, but he's really not.
- Scary Musician, Harmless Music: In-Universe. He was fired from his last gig because his appearance frightened patrons, though the music he played was regular jazz.
A silent, imposing magma Kau who is a member of the Brute Squad.
- Brawn Hilda: Strong and so mannish that it's hard to tell she is a female character.
- Drop the Hammer: Her weapon is a hammer.
- Hulkspeak: When she does talk, she sounds like this.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Her name is the only indication that she is female. There is still the possibility that she is in fact a he with a feminine name, as the character is never referred to with pronouns.
- The Quiet One: Doesn't say much.
The SeekersA close-knit society of Neopian intellectuals who are happy to share what they learn... most of the time. As their motto goes, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
A Gnorbu scholar who teaches at Brightvale University and is the leader of the group of Neopian intellectuals known as the Seekers.
- Absent-Minded Professor: He gives off strong vibes of this.
- Badass Bookworm: Don't make him use his Collapsible Offensive Device (an umbrella, in layman's terms) on you!
- Cool Uncle: To Katie. She loves visiting him in Brightvale.
- Cunning Linguist: According to the Seekers Neopedia article, he speaks fluent Tyrannian.
- For Science!: He convinces the other Seekers to go with him on an expedition to examine the Obelisk for this reason.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: As well as being very intelligent, he seems genuinely nice.
- Hates Being Touched: Played for Laughs when he is so pleased with how the battling is going that he calls for a Group Hug... only to promptly tell everyone he wasn't serious and to get off him.
- The Professor: He is definitely this.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He wears a pair of spectacles.
Professor Lambert's niece, who has a talent for inventing. She created a robot companion, ironically named Tiny, to defend her from school bullies.
- Adorkable: She is endearingly nerdy.
- Badass Bookworm:"Don't mess with a girl and her robot!"
- Child Prodigy: She is a brilliant inventor.
- Gadgeteer Genius: What she is.
- My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels: When a bully mocks her uncle's ability to speak Tyrannian by doing an imitation of the language, she informs him that he did indeed say an actual phrase... "I love wearing Step Out Shoes."
- Nerd Glasses: She wears a pair.
- Redheads Are Uncool: She has red hair.
- Robot Buddy: Tiny is this to her.
- Smart People Build Robots: She built Tiny.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Just a child, but a genius.
A foppish Gelert philosopher who writes books about war strategy.
- Blinding Bangs: His long blond hair hides his eyes.
- Bookworm: He loves his books so much that he will express impatience when he has to fight, saying he'd rather be reading in his library.
- The Dandy: He is most definitely this. He is dressed to the nines and his love for style and need to keep his clothes tidy is made apparent through his dialogue:"Gah! I have some dirt on my sleeve!"
- Gentleman and a Scholar: He's incredibly polite, even in battle.
- Gentleman Snarker:"Oh, I've read about this attack... It's not very effective. Are you sure you want to use it?"
- I Should Write a Book About This: At one point he says "I'm going to write a book about this battle... once I defeat you, of course."
- Longhaired Pretty Boy: His hair is shoulder-length and tied in a ponytail.
- The Philosopher: Specifically, he is a philosopher of war.
- The Strategist: It can be assumed that he is this for the Seekers, as he specializes in coming up with fighting strategies and studies such things.
- Throw the Book at Them: He always carries a book with him and will use it as a weapon.
A Lutari explorer who was involved in the construction of the airship the Seekers used to get to Tyrannia.
- Adventurer Outfit: He wears one.
- Cool Airship: He made one to transport the Seekers to Tyrannia.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He designed the Seekers' airship.
- Gentleman Adventurer: What he is.
- Hidden Depths: In addition to being an inventor and adventurer, he also runs an Outreach Programme for Elderly Neopets.
- High-Class Glass: He wears a monocle.
An Ixi scholar.
- After-Action Patch-Up: He bandages Katie's injured tail after her run-in with some bullies.
- Bookworm: Always seen with his nose stuck in a book.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: He's a wise and kindly Neopet.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He's a scholar and wears a pair.
A Shoyru scientist who attended the Space Station University for Intelligent Neopets.
- Chemistry Can Do Anything: He carries test tubes and mixes their contents to make explosions when attacking enemies.
- Einstein Hair: He's a scientist and his hair is unkempt.
- Mad Scientist: He's not evil, but otherwise he qualifies.
- Meaningful Name: In all likelihood he was named after the gyroscope.
- Outnumbered Sibling: He has six little sisters.
- Techno Babble: A lot of his dialogue.
The AwakenedNot so much an actual society as it is an army of Night of the Living Mooks commanded by creepy twin girls. Their goal is to cause as much chaos as possible under the pretense of having a party.
Lanie and Lillie
Twin Wocky sisters who called their undead friends from their graves to participate in the battle for the Obelisk which, according to them, is a party.
- Animate Dead: Though it may seem hard to believe, these two children command an army of The Undead.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: They have these.
- Creepy Twins: They are identical in every way, speak in monotone, and even finish each others' sentences.
- Emotionless Girl: Their blank expressions never change, unless they are driven to extreme rage... then their eyes turn white and they glow and levitate◊.
- Expy: Of the Grady girls from The Shining.
- A Fête Worse Than Death: Apparently they see going to war as being a big party... one with cake, ice cream... and undead monsters going on rampages and attacking the living.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: They enjoy doing this.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: It's implied that they've been involved in the disappearances of other Neopets, and even confess to having eaten someone who warned them about the war, believing they were innocent children who needed to be protected.
- Undead Child: Though it's never outright stated, it is heavily implied that Lanie and Lillie have risen from the grave themselves.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Although they appear to be small children, they are able to competently command an army of the undead, in a sadistic manner even.
The ghost of a knight who once served a king. He was poisoned and she regrets that she was unable to protect him.
- Fog Feet: Though considering the fact that she's a Hissi, she likely never had any sort of feet to begin with.
- Ghostly Chill:Echo drifted into her crypt silently, but Halima noticed anyway by the sudden chill. It never bothered her.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: The king she served under was given a dish of Evil Baklava as a gift, and it turned out to be poison. She feels responsible for his death.
- Knight in Shining Armor: What she was in life.
- Monochrome Apparition: Like all ghost Neopets, she appears in shades of greyish blue except for her eyes, which are red.
- My Greatest Failure: Her king was poisoned and she wasn't able to defend him.
Halima the Enraged
A grumpy Usul mummy who resides in Quasala.
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: Her eyes glow green in her ranged attack pose.
- Grumpy Bear: She is known for her perpetually foul mood.
- Mummy: What she is.
- Sickly Green Glow: She has one when she's really angry.
- Zombie Gait: Being a mummy, she walks like this.
A zombie who is persuaded by Lanie and Lillie to join the Awakened.
- Brain Food: As he is a zombie, this is naturally his favorite food.
- Hulkspeak: He talks this way, as zombies tend to do.
- Food as Bribe: Lanie and Lillie convince him to join the Awakened by giving him candy floss.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Basically he is a Flesh-Eating Zombie, saying few words and groaning for brains for the most part. Yet the Neopedia article for the Awakened would indicate that he is, to some extent, capable of intelligent thought.
- Undead Barefooter: He wears no shoes.
- Zombie Gait: How he walks.
The personification of pride who menaced the Sway at the end of the War of the Obelisk.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of pride.
- Cool Mask: She wears a handheld mask.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She is purple and very elegant.
- Narcissist: Naturally.
- Pride: She is this personified.
- Purple Is Powerful: She is a tremendously powerful magical being and she is purple.
- Vain Sorceress: She even carries a hand mirror all the time.
- Vanity Is Feminine: Pride takes the form of a female Aisha.
- Your Worst Nightmare: She is this to the Sway.
The personification of greed who menaced the Thieves' Guild at the end of the War of the Obelisk.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of greed.
- Greed: He is this personified.
- High-Class Glass: He wears a monocle.
- Money Fetish: Well, he is Greed, after all."Mmm, that's the smell of freshly minted Neopoints... like candy!"
- The Scrooge: It's to be expected.
- Your Worst Nightmare: He is this to the Thieves' Guild.
The personification of envy who menaced the Order of the Red Erisim at the end of the War of the Obelisk.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of envy.
- Driven by Envy: This is what he wants the members of the Order of the Red Erisim to be.
- Fog Feet: Being a genie, he naturally has a tail instead of legs.
- Genie in a Bottle: It would appear he is one. He even disappears into a lamp after being defeated.
- Green and Mean: He's green with envy.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He is this, literally.
- Sickly Green Glow: He has one.
- Smug Super:"There were three great wizards in the ancient days. I surpass them all."
- Your Worst Nightmare: He is this to the Order of the Red Erisim.
The personification of wrath who menaced the Brute Squad at the end of the War of the Obelisk.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of wrath.
- Burning with Anger: Literally made out of flames.
- Strike Me Down with All of Your Hatred: He says this word-for-word.
- Unstoppable Rage: He is this personified.
- Wreathed in Flames: He is a being made of fire.
- Your Worst Nightmare: He is this to the Brute Squad
The personification of Apathy who menaced the Seekers at the end of the War of the Obelisk.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of apathy.
- The Power of Apathy: Literally.
- The Slacker
- Sleepyhead: He's barely awake, even when battling.
- Sleepwalking: He seems to do this most of the time.
- Stopped Caring: Never cared, actually.
- Your Worst Nightmare: He is this to the Seekers.
The personification of death who menaced the Awakened at the end of the War of the Obelisk.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: According to Lanie and Lillie, he is their little brother, and they're terrified of him. It makes you wonder what they are if their sibling is essentially the Grim Reaper.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of death.
- Badass Adorable: He is a frighteningly powerful being in the form of a cherubic baby.
- Cupid's Arrow: In spite of being more a Grim Reaper than anything else, he looks just like Cupid.
- Enfant Terrible: He may look like an innocent baby, but he's dangerous.
- Deader Than Dead: It's his goal to make The Undead this.
- The Grim Reaper: The Neopian version.
- Horrifying the Horror: He is enough to scare an entire army of undead monsters.
- Killer Rabbit: Aww, it's a cute little baby Ixi... who can make The Undead Deader Than Dead.
- Sibling Rivalry: Lanie and Lillie are obviously at odds with Death, mainly because he wants the dead to stay dead while they want their zombie and ghost friends to rise from their graves and party.
- Your Worst Nightmare: He is this to the Awakened.
- Ambiguously Evil: The Oracle's true motives have never been made clear. She was introduced at the end of the War of the Obelisk as a seemingly benevolent ancient spirit. However, her actions are rather questionable. All she has done so far is to involve the six factions who originally fought for the right to open the Obelisk in perpetual battles simply for her amusement. She grants boons to the winning faction that last for one week, until it's time for yet another battle. It seems doubtful that a spirit who delights in watching frequent violence (and has multiple groups of powerful Neopians under her spell, constantly striving to gain her favour) could really mean well.
- The Omniscient: Apparently she has vast wisdom, but has not yet shared her knowledge.
- Seers: She can see the past and future.
The Spooky Food Eating Contest Plot
An Ogrin who, along with his brother, tracked down the monster who menaced the Spooky Food Eating Contest. They are second generation monster hunters, with their father having been one before them.
- Expy: Of Sam from Supernatural.
- Hunter of Monsters: He and his brother are professionals who arrive on the scene of the Spooky Food Eating Contest in Neovia after a monster disrupts it. They set out to capture it.
A Wocky who, along with his brother, tracked down the monster who menaced the Spooky Food Eating Contest. They are second generation monster hunters, with their father having been one before them.
- Expy: Of Dean from Supernatural.
- Hunter of Monsters: He and his brother are professionals who arrive on the scene of the Spooky Food Eating Contest in Neovia after a monster disrupts it. They set out to capture it.
This Chomby gentleman is president of the Spooky Shindig Society, who organised the Spooky Food Eating Contest among other parties.
- Nonmammalian Hair: While he is a Chomby (a creature comparable to a dinosaur), he has hair not only on his head, but also thick eyebrows and a moustache.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Very much so, being from Neovia.
A blue horned satyr-like creature who disguised himself as a contestant in Neovia's Spooky Food Eating Contest. Pretending to be a Yurble named Scarlet, he managed to win the competition, but afterward drank a potion that revealed his true form. Corbin and Kell chased him into catacombs located beneath the town, and they were able to catch and subdue him. Afterward it was revealed he was a child monster, and was safely returned to his parents at their home in the mountains.
- Cute Monster: As it turns out, he's just a little kid monster who wandered away from home and not a real threat.
- Shapeshifting: He has the ability to do this, disguising himself as Scarlet the Yurble. It's unknown as to whether or not this was an impersonation of an actual Neopet or an identity he made up entirely.
The King of Altador, it is named after him.
- Founder of the Kingdom: He founded Altador.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: During The Faeries' Ruin, he arms himself and seeks to find out the cause of the faeries' petrification instead of staying behind in Altador.
- Start My Own: He came from a city ruled by the corrupt and set out to find a new city for his people to live in once he was old enough, only to find more cities ruled by the corrupt wherever he went. Eventually, he found a place he noted would be perfect for a city, and the rest is history.
- The Good King: King Altador rules a land that was among the most cherished in Neopia before its disappearance, and continues to be adored long after its rediscovery.
- The High King
- Lord Country: King Altador, of Altador.
The wise, knowledgeable king of Brightvale.
Queen of the Faeries.
- Arch-Enemy: Of Xandra.
- Badass in Charge: She has the power to back up her authority.
- The High Queen: She has been shown to be calm and reasonable, even when recovering from being encased in stone.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Or, in this case, purple.
- Nice Girl: She is said and shown to be extremely kind. And she's female.
- Really 700 Years Old: She is older than you can imagine, but looks like a young woman.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She did a bit in the Xandra plot.
- The Stoic: See The High Queen.
- Arch-Enemy: To Illusen. She will ban you from her quests for 12 hours if you've already done one for Illusen.
- The Cynic
- Fetch Quest: She sends players to fetch items for her.
- It's All About Me: She thinks she is the best faerie.
- The Fair Folk: She's a faerie.
- Dark Is Evil: She is evil and a dark faerie.
- Noodle Incident: Why is she enemies with Illusen?
- Nothing Is Scarier: The citizens of Neopia are terrified of her, not because of what she's done, but because of the fact that she hasn't actually done anything evil yet, which is very abnormal for a dark faerie as powerful as her.
- Pet the Dog: As nasty as she is, she will reward you handsomely for completing her quests. Whatever else Jhudora is, she's not a liar.
- The Rival: To Illusen.
- Sickly Green Glow: She is often surrounded by dark green smoke.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: She says that the happy stuff Illusen does is silly and frivolous.
- Too Good to Be True: She promises "rewards beyond your wildest dreams".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark purple with green streaks.
- You Have Failed Me: Her Neopedia article shows her doing...something...to a Kacheek who was five seconds late with her requested item.
Delina (also known as the Crafting Faerie)
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: (or purple)
- Mr. Fixit, or Miss
- Gadgeteer Genius: In her crafting.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: She's a Dark Faerie, but not evil.
- The Medic: She is the Healing Springs Faerie.
- Power Incontinence: she can only heal you once every thirty minutes.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She is blond and heals Neopets for a living.
- Healing Spring (she works there)
- Light Haired Swimmer: Lives in a pool and has blonde hair.
- Water Is Blue (her pond is)
- Our Fairies Are Different she has a mermaid tail.
- Nice Girl: She heals Neopets and is female.
- The Eeyore: When you're not on a quest and visit the Rainbow Pool, she'll be looking dejected and saying things like "Oh no, my beautiful magic is gone :("
- Fetch Quest: She sometimes sends you one these, but only if you're lucky.
- Skunk Stripe: She has an aqua stripe in her hair.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Has a mermaid tail like all Water Faeries.
KaiaA Faerie from Shenkuu who moved to Faerieland because of bullying, she possesses the power to see misfortune before it happens. Kaia is eager to prove herself and has lofty dreams.
A Zafara witch who doles out quests. Originally she was human before falling into her cauldron and becoming a Neopet.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She is a witch, who resides in the Haunted Woods and can be pretty creepy, but she's not evil.
- Eye of Newt: Her potion ingredients can be anything, from food to board games.
- Fetch Quest: She sometimes sends users on quests to fetch potion ingredients.
- Power Incontinence: Apparently she accidentally turned some Feepits into Feepit Pie once.
- Big Eater: He is always hungry.
- Fetch Quest: Users can fetch items to feed to him.
- Extreme Omnivore: He can eat anything.
- Meaningful Name: From the esophagus, a muscular tube connecting the throat to the stomach.
- Our Monsters Are Weird: He's a nondescript melty blue being that rises from the ground.
A tree with a huge, pulsating brain. He yearns for knowledge, and will send users off on quests to give him the information he needs.
- Fetch Quest: He will ask those who accept his quests for the date and place a Neopet died. To get this information, one must complete two Esophagor quests.
- My Brain Is Big: He's called the Brain Tree for a reason.
- Sealed Evil in a Duel: He has long been engaged in battle with the Beast that lurks behind him. The reason he constantly fights it is to keep Neopia safe from it.
- Wise Tree: He is one, though he will ask others to give him information rather than doling it out himself. Once they do, he will reward them.
A Lupe bounty hunter who traps Faeries in bottles and then sells them.
- Bounty Hunter: His targets are the Faeries.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: He is asked to help the petrified Faeries by a young Ixi during The Faeries' Ruin, but when the situation is explained to him and he sees for himself what happened, he is thrilled rather than concerned. Then he goes home to free the Faeries he has bottled (knowing that once they're released, they too will be turned to stone).
- Freudian Excuse: He was abandoned by his family as a child. After crawling through the woods, hungry and thirsty, he came across some Dark Faeries whom he asked to aid him. Instead, they cruelly mocked him and threw stones and twigs at him. That's why he now hates all Faeries.
This Wocky once served Hubrid Nox and committed many vile acts for him. Now repentant, he has turned against Nox and they have become sworn enemies.
- Antagonist in Mourning: Despite the serious nature of their conflict, MAGAX has been shown to truly mourn the loss of Hubrid Nox.
- Anti-Hero: A former villain trying to atone for his crimes.
- The Atoner: He regrets the evil he did in the past, and so fights to protect Neopia from Hubrid Nox.
- Badass Beard: He's got a goatee.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As the minion of Nox. Apparently he's done something so terrible that the Faeries won't forgive him for it.
- Friendly Enemy: He and Nox are sometimes depicted this way, especially in Advent Calendar animations.
- Heel–Face Turn: He was once evil and a minion of Hubrid Nox, but has since changed his ways.
- Reformed, but Rejected:"You still seek redemption for your past?" Nox said, his form all but lost in the storm clouds. "Don't you know there is no forgiveness for you, Magax? The Faeries will never forgive the crimes you committed against them.""Perhaps," Magax said, readying his weapon. "But, I have to try."
- Rugged Scar: He has one over his eye.
- We Used to Be Friends: Before turning against him, MAGAX was Nox's minion.
A Chia warlock who is the Arch-Enemy of MAGAX. He was Killed Off for Real during The Faeries' Ruin plot, so all subsequent appearances are of his ghost.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Framed for a crime he didn't commit, he was murdered in cold blood by the real Big Bad of The Faeries' Ruin.
- Arch-Enemy: To MAGAX.
- Badass Cape: His is very Dracula-like.
- Badass Mustache: He has one.
- Big Fancy Castle: He lived in one which was called Castle Nox. After his death, it's been implied that his ghost still haunts it.
- Dastardly Whiplash: He can give off vibes of this.
- Evil Sorcerer: He is one.
- Master of Disguise: In one Neopedia story, he disguised himself as a lost Cybunny to lure MAGAX.
- Necromancer: He had an army of evil ghost Neopets. Ironically, he then was killed and became a ghost himself.
- Not Me This Time: He was framed by Xandra as being the one who turned the Faeries to stone in The Faeries' Ruin. Subsequently, he ended up being murdered by her to cover her tracks.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The red eyes were what tipped MAGAX off that the Cybunny he was attempting to rescue was really Nox in disguise.
- We Used to Be Friends: MAGAX was Nox's minion before they became enemies.
The ghost of a Kacheek who delights in anagrams. Being given one he was unable to solve is what drove him mad.
- Delighting in Riddles: Anagrams are his life... or rather, afterlife.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: He's the crazed spirit of a puzzle maker.
- Riddle Me This: In The Castle of Eliv Thade game, the only way you can escape is by solving the anagrams he presents you with.
- Sanity Slippage: This happened to him when a servant presented him with a puzzle he could not solve.
- Significant Anagram: The letters of his name can be rearranged to read 'evil death' or 'vile death'.
- Two-Faced: The left side of his face has what appears to be a patch of fabric stitched onto it.
ArchieAn inventor who created a machine to clear away the bubbles that blocked the view of the lake's bed.
A pirate's island
- Dressed to Plunder: More recent artwork depicts him wearing a full pirate outfit.
- Seadog Beard: When he was redesigned, he gained a braided yellow beard.
- Seadog Peg Leg: He claims he lost his leg in a battle against a gigantic Krawk, but in reality it was lost in a freak Tombola mishap.
- The Tutor: He runs an academy.
- Talk Like a Pirate: His many sayings.
Governor Gavril McGill
- Dressed to Plunder: He wears a fancy pirate outfit as governor.
The moon of Neopia.
Home to the cities Sakhmet and Qasala
- Noble Wolf: Or Lupe, rather.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: He's a fairly benevolent one that haunts an obelisk.
- Character Death: He died, but now he's a ghost.
A steampunk and lava inspired world 7,000 feet underground.
- Action Girl: Makes no qualms about flying close to Neopia's core in the climax of Atlas of the Ancients.
- Gadgeteer Genius: According to her Neopedia entry.
- Spirited Young Lady
- Wrench Wench
Mayor of Moltara
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Grey and Gray Morality: He seems like a villain, but can do good in Random Events.
- Revenge: He seeks revenge for his death, and likely that of his bride as well.
- Senseless Sacrifice: The Ghost Lupe was in life a knight named Sylva. He died attempting to rescue his bride from the natives of Mystery Island. Apparently, she did not survive either.
Jhuidah the Island Faerie
- Ambiguously Brown
- Friend to All Living Things: Is seen being friendly to islanders, tourists and petpets alike.
- Magic Cauldron: She is in charge of the Cooking Pot. Certain ingredients can be put inside it to be combined into new items.
Tiki Tack Man
A humanoid man who runs the Tombola on Mystery Island, as well as a souvenir shop. He is never seen without his mask, and as there are (supposedly) no humans in Neopia, it's unclear what he is.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Does Not Like Shoes: He is always barefoot.
- The Faceless: His face is never shown.
- Hawaiian-Shirted Tourist: Subverted, as he is not a tourist.
A wise old Techo who runs the Mystery Island Training School. He collects codestones as payment, and then places them in his garden.
- Friendly Rivalry: He and Cap'n Threelegs have one, as they both run training schools and compete with each other
- Old Master: He fits this trope perfectly.
- The Mentor: To Ryshu, and really any Neopet he trains.
- Levitating Lotus Position: He's been shown to do this.
One of the four guardians of the Mystery Island Training School. He has trained extensively with the Techo Master, and as a result has become a skilled fighter.
The overseer of the Neopian Pound
- Dark Is Not Evil: While the room he works in is dark with lots of spiders in, and his name is Dr Death, he actually takes good care of the ownerless pets.
- Grumpy Bear
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Nice Guy: Despite his grumpy exterior, he is actually this.
Pound Uni and Pound HissiThe other pound workers. The Uni works at the Adopt door and the Hissi works at the Transfer door.
- Authority in Name Only: It's implied that he spends all of his time playing Dice-a-Roo while his chancellor Advisor Broo actually runs the kingdom.
- A Dog Named "Dog": His name is King Roo, and he's a Blumaroo.
- Lonely at the Top: He was not exactly lonely, but quite bored before Dice-a-Roo was invented.
Aristotle A. Avinroo
The self-proclaimed Games Master, more commonly referred to by his initials, AAA. He created Daily Dare, a competition where he challenges Neopians to beat his high scores at games.
- The Ace: At playing games.
- Big Brother Instinct: He returned home from camp early after receiving messages of distress from Abigail.
- Brother–Sister Team: With Abigail at times.
- Cool Chair: He has one of the hovering variety.
- Fiery Redhead: He has red hair and can lose his temper fairly easily.
- King of Games: Absolutely!
- Nerd Glasses: He wears a pair.
- Only Known by Initials: For the most part, he is simply called AAA.
- Sibling Rivalry: He and Abigail have a bit of one.
AAA's sister, who is more down-to-earth than he is. It was her idea to have her crush Chadley help out with Daily Dare while her brother was away, but she soon regretted it upon becoming disillusioned with him and annoyed by his vanity.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To AAA, much of the time.
- Brother–Sister Team: With AAA at times.
- Deadpan Snarker: When dealing with her brother or Chadley.
- Fan Disillusionment: At first she is thrilled to have Chadley co-host Daily Dare with her because she's got a crush on him. However, as the event goes on, she sees just how self-absorbed he really is and soon she's desperate to be rid of him.
- Sibling Rivalry:"You know, the funny thing about having AAA for a brother is that I find myself becoming a great gamer just to spite him..."
LuluAAA and Abigail's cousin who runs the NC Mall portions of Daily Dare and Games Master Challenge events.
- Gotta Have It, Gonna Steal It: During events, she will often break into other character's rooms to steal items for her collection.
- Karma Houdini: She never gets punished for her thieving ways.
Chadrick Woolsworth Tuffington IV
Also known as Chadley. This Zafara is a popular and egotistical classmate of AAA. His smile was rated as Neopia's Most Charming by the Neopian Times for three years running. He hosted Daily Dare while AAA was away at camp.
- Brainless Beauty: In spite of his Neopedia article saying his IQ is "brilliant, just like his smile", he really doesn't seem all that bright. For one thing, he's blissfully unaware that other characters are sick of him.
- It's All About Me: Boy, is it ever!
- Narcissist: He is obsessed with himself to the point of driving those around him crazy.
- The Rival: To AAA.
- Small Name, Big Ego: He's a schoolkid with delusions of being a celebrity that everyone adores.
- Smug Smiler: He's known for his smile.
An evil king who envies AAA's status as the Games Master. In an attempt to prove he was better than him, he kidnapped AAA and his sister Abigail and forced them to play games nonstop in a dungeon-like chamber.
- Driven by Envy: His reason for capturing AAA and Abigail and forcing them to play games for days on end.
- Green and Mean: He's a green Blumaroo and is a villain.
- Meaningful Name: From the word 'ruthless'.
- Would Hurt a Child: He forces a 14-year-old boy and his 11-year-old sister to play games unceasingly, and then sends them into a game that they would need to escape if they were to be released.
The eldest daughter of the Emperor of Shenkuu. She was sad and lonely, in spite of the efforts of her Petpet Kazeriu to cheer her up. Her sister, Terrana, thought pretending to be kidnapped would be a good way to bring some excitement to her life.
- Faked Kidnapping: She pretends to be kidnapped to spice up her dull life.
- Gilded Cage: She desperately wants leave the palace and explore Neopia, but is forbidden to do so.
- I Just Want to Be Free: Her greatest desire is to see what is beyond the palace walls.
- Meaningful Name: Lunara loves the moon, and 'luna' is the Latin word for it.
- Shoulder-Sized Dragon: Her Petpet is a Kazeriu, which is a small Eastern dragon-like creature.
The youngest daughter of the Emperor of Shenkuu, who aspires to be the greatest warrior of all. To prove it, she attempts to scale the mountain with her grappling hook.
- Mr. Fixit: He is a toy repairman.
- Grumpy Old Man: He's elderly and a bit grumpy, calling people "fur-biting, good-for-nothing prawns".
- Healing Hands: She is the only one able to lift the Curse of Ta-Kutep.
- Nice Girl: Is very kind.
- The Medic: Downplayed. She is shown to have healing powers and used them on Hannah.
- We Help the Helpless: She is said to wander Terror Mountain finding Neopets who got lost in the snow and saving them from freezing to death.
- Fetch Quest: She sometimes sends users out on quests.
- The Cutie: She's cute, and cheerful, and likes ice cream.
- Nice Girl: Sometimes gives users advice in the form of Random Events.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Her love of ice cream has spawned its own flash game.
- Sweet Tooth: Loves ice cream.
- Big Eater: It is shown that she eats a lot of ice cream.
- An Ice Person: He is a huge ice wyrm that can fire icy blasts.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Hence why he sleeps in a big cave.
- Berserk Button: If he catches you stealing his treasure, hope you like an icy blast to the face.
- Dragon Hoard: He guards a gigantic pile of treasure in his cave, which users can try to steal from when he's asleep.
- Riddle for the Ages: Where did all the treasure in his cave come from??
- Promoted to Playable: Received his own Flash game in 2010, Wrath of the Snowager, where the player controls him trying to get his loot back from a thieving Chia.
- Too Dumb to Live: Instead of doing something sensible when the Snowager comes after him like hide in a building or leave Terror Mountain, he just tries to evade him by running around and around in circles.
- Action Girl: "Just because Grarrg is the Battle Master doesn't mean I don't know how to put up a fight. Why do you think Grarrg is second in command anyway?"
Virtupets Space Station
Myra the Space Faerie
- Action Girl: Is a heroic faerie.
- Ambiguously Brown
- The Hero She saved the Grundos from imprisonment
- Our Fairies Are Different: She has a sci-fi type outfit and telepathic powers and is a Faerie.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Inverted as she is a good guy with red eyes.
- SpaceX: She is called the Space Faerie.
- Psychic Radar
Dr. Frank Sloth
- Cartoon Creature: His species is unknown, but he is not a Neopet and he does not like being mistaken for one.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Actually, he does go into "legitimate" business when not the focus of a plot. He's the prime source of almost all of Neopia's high-level technology.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Does not like being called Frank.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Black Cloak Of Evil
- Take Over the World: He likes to try and take over Neopia.
- Big Bad
- The Rival: He is Myra's nemesis.