open/close all folders
A US Air Force pilot who joined up because her father refused to fund her way through college, instead supporting one of her brothers who had lower marks than her, she became the USAF's top pilot and left the service a Lieutenant-Colonel. She spent time in Air Force Intelligence, teaming up with Wolverine, and then joined NASA. Her first appearance had her become the sidekick of Captain Mar-Vell and she later got powers like his via the Kree Psyche-Magnitron (basically a wishing machine).She became first Ms. Marvel, then Binary and Warbird before going back to Ms. Marvel. Despite an intriguing past, compelling and popular enemies in Mystique and Rogue, a strong Flying Brick power set that then took a step up into the Cosmic Entity tier, and long term membership of the Avengers and association with the X-Men, she went through a Trauma Conga Line and spent a long time as a second stringer who even Stilt-Man didn't recognise.Only following House of M, which showed her her potential to be the greatest hero in the world, did she kick on in and out of universe (she even got a publicist In-Universe). She got her own solo comic and starred in the second season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!, before taking the mantle of Captain Marvel for her own as part of Marvel NOW, becoming Captain America's right hand woman and turning up absolutely everywhere before Marvel announced that she was getting her own self-titled film as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Ace Pilot: She used to be in the Air Force.
- Action Girl: She's currently known as 'Earth's Mightiest Hero' for a very good reason.
- The Alcoholic: For a time, during Avengers Vol 3. She was unceremoniously booted off the team for it, and it took some time for her to recover.
- Amazonian Beauty: Her muscles, broad shoulders, and voluptuous yet muscular figure tend to stand out in those skintight outfits she wears.
- Arch-Nemesis: Mystique used to be this, having made it her mission in life to destroy Carol. Then it passed to Rogue, then... nothing.Nowadays it appears that Moonstone has taken the role.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her original Ms. Marvel outfit featured it.
- Boisterous Bruiser: In the 2014 Captain Marvel issue #1 her two favourite things are Star Wars and punching stuff.
- Break the Badass: Again, and again, and again, and again.
- Broken Pedestal: Her actions in Civil War II have destroyed Kamala Khan's idolization of her.
- Buffy Speak
- Damsel in Distress: Started off as this for Captain Mar-Vell. Only in the sense that she was taken captive, though. Carol Danvers didn't bother with the damsel-ness.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Danvers' early superhero career included rape, sudden pregnancy, kidnapping, and being depowered.
- Depower: Lost her Binary powers years ago. They come back sometimes, but they never stay for long. She also had another one during Avengers Vol 3., which drove her to drink.
- Distaff Counterpart: What she started out as. She's long since gotten out from under Mar-Vell's shadow.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: For one of Marvel's longest serving heroines, she didn't get much respect from her fellow heroes. It's why she took up superheroing again after M-Day, to prove she could be one of the world's greats.
- As of Marvel NOW and her taking of the Captain Marvel name, as well as her establishing herself as Captain America's second in command, she's largely shaken this off.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Cheeseburger"
- Flaming Hair: As Binary.
- Flying Brick: Danvers has flight, super-strength, resistance to injury, and the Most Common Superpower. Twist: She can absorb ambient and directed energy, and project energy blasts from her fists (though she also had a sort of "seventh sense"/luck power for a while), but despite her impressive power level she has always been something of a second-stringer. This was played with in the House of M event, where in that Alternate Universe she was the greatest non-mutant superhero in the world. And since people kept their memories of the House of M reality, her knowledge that she could be that good has spurred her to new heights, her own monthly title, and leadership of The Avengers.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Has a bit of Kree DNA in her, due to how she got her powers.
- Four-Star Badass: Holds the rank of Colonel in the US Air Force. Which, technically, means she outranks Captain America. It also means "Captain" Marvel is a downgrade.
- Hollywood Atheist: Averted. Carol is the rare atheist protagonist who isn't a nihilist.
- I Have Many Names: Danvers' codenames have included Ms. Marvel, Warbird, Binary, and Captain Marvel.
- Genius Ditz: Downplayed. Carol is very smart, but she comes up short compared to the likes of Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic.
- Kick the Dog: A not-so-heroic moment in her career involved arresting Julia Carpenter for being a Pro-Registration defector and working as a spy for Captain America during Civil War, in front of her own daughter. Even Carol felt bad about it and started questioning whether she'd picked the right side.
- Legacy Character: For Captain Mar-Vell.
- Leotard of Power: Her signature black Warbird costume is this.
- Mind Rape: What happened when Rogue took her memories. It took all the emotion behind them as well, and nearly killed Carol.
- Military Superhero: At times.
- Most Common Superpower: Carol is stacked, even by comic book standards.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her outfits (prior to taking the Captain Marvel name) emphasized her huge breasts, the voluptuous yet muscular figure for her body, strong toned muscles, broad shoulders, sizeable backside and well-toned long legs. In the era of the black-and-gold leotard costume she was usually subject to the Male Gaze.
- Nigh Invulnerable: As a side-effect of being part Kree.
- One Woman Army: She defeated an army of Super-Skrulls during Secret Invasion.
- Primary-Color Champion: Her Captain Marvel uniform.
- Ship Tease: With Spider-Man after she agreed to go on a date with him. When she was possessed by the symbiote, Venom suggests to Spidey she has feelings for him. Despite mild flirting on both sides, they've become Platonic Life Partners, though it's implied Peter wishes they got a Relationship Upgrade.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: While he gets under skin, Carol developed an interest in Peter due to his good nature. When puts down he feels he doesn't belong with in the clouds with her and rest of the Avengers, she brings up she likes having him in the clouds.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Her signature black costume.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's almost six feet tall and built to kill.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Old Man Danvers was an utter dick to his first-born child. It's why she joined the military in the first place, to prove him wrong about everything.
- Super Strength: enough to, on one memorable occasion, drop kick Iron Man straight through a passenger plane and, during Avengers vs X-Men catch the top half of the Empire State Building.
- The Teetotaler: Danvers used to have a serious alcohol problem. She later got sober.
- Wolverine Publicity: Following Secret Wars (2015), Carol has been announced as a member of A-Force and the new Ultimates team, along with her own solo comic.
- You Fight Like a Cow
- Affirmative Action Legacy: Monica is a black woman. Lampshaded when she first met Carol.Carol Danvers: Did Mar-Vell decide to retire or is this some hitherto unsuspected side to his character?
- Afro Asskicker: Back when she first appeared, though now she usually favors dreadlocks.
- Badass Long Coat: Started wearing one as part of Nextwave. It's since become one of her signature looks.
- Berserk Button: People stealing her old names without asking. Happened with Genis-Vell when he decided to call himself Photon, and then Carol when she decided to become the new Captain Marvel.
- Career-Ending Injury: Her tenure as the leader of the Avengers ended when a disastrous battle with the Leviathan dissipated most of her mass, leaving her in a weakened, emaciated state. She eventually got better, though.
- Energy Beings
- I Have Many Names: Captain Marvel, Photon, Pulsar, and Spectrum.
- May–December Romance: With Blue Marvel, who is significantly Older Than He Looks.
- Story-Breaker Power: Her abilities (particularly her light speed travel) arguably make her one of the most powerful Avengers, which is usually why she's one of the first people to be taken out during a battle.
- Took a Level in Badass: She's now got her own variant on the Flash's Infinite Mass Punch. She can use it to destroy planets.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: with Carol.
See her own page.
Moonstone (Karla Sofen)
- Alpha Bitch
- Arch-Enemy: For Carol nowadays
- Big Bad: Arguably the most prominent for Carol in the modern times.
- Ice Queen
- Legacy Character: Karla Sofen became Moonstone by manipulating the previous Moonstone (who happened to be one of her patients) into handing over their power source.
- Psycho Psychologist: Sofen is practically the ur-example for the Marvel Universe. She used to enjoy convincing suicidal patients to kill themselves.
- Faux Affably Evil: treats Carol politely right up until the moment she refuses to give him what he wants (partly because she couldn't, even if she wanted to).
MODOK (George Tarleton)
Has his own page M.O.D.O.K.
- Brain in a Jar
- Blue and Orange Morality: it has no problems killing 90% of the Kree if it removes the genetic gap that keeps them from evolving.
- Death Is Cheap
- Master Computer: He runs the Kree Empire
- Organic Technology
- Villain Respect: while not always a villain, it's got a serious case of Blue and Orange Morality. It also has a very real respect for humanity, the Avengers and Carol in particular, as seen in Infinity when it subtly smacks down J'son of Spartax when he tells Captain America to go 'until cannon fodder is required', observing that humans have a much higher success rate against the Kree in battle than the Spartax do. During The Black Vortex, it also remarks that it gave Carol an audience because of its personal respect for her and the fact that the Avengers have been very generous to the Kree.
Doomsday Man (Kerwin Korman)
- And I Must Scream: He's trapped in a robotic body.
- Winged Humanoid: as a result of being a Shi'ar genetic throwback.