Characters: Flunk Punk Rumble
Characters for the Flunk Punk Rumble/Yankee-kun to Megane-chan manga. Under construction.
open/close all folders
"Main Characters/ Monshiro Student Council"
Hana AdachiThe female protagonist and former Student Council President. Four years later, she abruptly reappears and enrolls in Monshiro High as a student again.
- Badass Adorable: Feared as one tough S.O.B. during middle school but is also a really nice girl.
- Beautiful All Along: When the glasses are off, it's equal amounts of Badass & pretty.
- Beauty Mark: That Shinagawa didn't notice that she and the girl he loves have the same one right at the same place is amazing.
- The Big Gal
- Book Dumb: Though in fairness, she's very hardworking and can kick some serious butt.
- Class Representative: Subverted. Sure, Adachi looks like a class rep, but she is totally intellectually inept, with her grades even lower than Shinagawa's.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Thanks to No Social Skills and extreme ditzyness.
- Covert Pervert: When looking for a male student with a mole in his chest, she was extremely quick and eager to open the shirts of Shinagawa, Izumi, and Chiba. It's even lampshaded:Didn't she just want to "fwap" our shirts open?!
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Delinquent: She was this in junior high.
- The Ditz: Hana Adachi can be described as a Ditz at best and an idiot at worst, despite what she looks like.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: Provides the page picture.
- Genki Girl
- Idiot Hair
- Idiot Heroine
- Meganekko: Subverted, in her characterization and by the fact that she does not need them. She actually has the best eyesight out of the entire cast.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: She wears glasses (and braided pigtails) only to appear more bookish, while actually having perfect eyesight. It goes so far as swimming with the glasses on.
- Put on a Bus: Abruptly disappears around chapter 190, and does not appear until the very end, after a four year timeskip. It's not made clear what happened to her in between.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: Of course, it's still a comedy series through and through, but when the series goes from just being a bunch of really silly misadventures to being slightly more serious, coherent and arc-based, her role and screen-time decrease (and Shinagawa's role and screen-time increase).
- Student Council President
- Teacher/Student Romance: Maybe.
- Too Dumb to Fool
Daichi ShinagawaOur male protagonist and former Student Council Co-Vice President. Four years later, he graduates from Tono University, and although he originally wanted to become a government employee, he chose to work at Monshiro High as a teacher instead.
- Chick Magnet: Complete with a Token Mini-Moe. This dude has had every named female character, save one or two, fall for him.
- Delinquent: The titular "Yankee-kun".
- The Drag-Along: Much of the fun in earlier volumes comes from Shinagawa reluctantly complying with Hana and co.'s shenaningans.
- Failed a Spot Check: Completely unable to recognize Hana as the girl he fell in love with at the entry exam and the one who gave him his scar.
- Genius Bruiser: see the Obfuscating Stupidity entry below.
- The Hero
- Idiot Hero: Subverted in his backstory. It's revealed that he was formerly one of the top two students at Japan's top Junior High.
- And the subversion continues as Shinagawa gets into Japan's top university.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Actually a nice guy underneath the rough exterior, especially towards Hana though he goes tsuntsun most times with her.
- Manly Tears: Chapter 209, his graduation speech
- Also results in everyone else crying.
- Megane: In middle school. And of the studious variety. It serves as explanation toward how he was even eligible for Monshiro High in the first place.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It's implied that Shinagawa was actually a brilliant student in the Bonus strip. In chapters 150 and 151, these implications are more or less confirmed when his backstory is explored. Before he became a delinquent in junior high, he was one of the top students at his school, complete with natural-colored hair and glasses. And not just any junior high, but the top school in the country.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Maybe.
- Tsundere: Interesting in that he relatively quickly admits that he is fond of Hana and the Student Council.
Seiya ChibaFormer Student Council Treasurer. Used to be a major hikikomori before Shinagawa and Adachi convinced him to come back to school to keep his grades up. Since then he stayed with them and is grateful that they consider him a friend. Although he's often thought to be a delinquent because of his eyes he's actually just a very shy young man that wants to make some ordinary friends. Four years later, he's officially going out with Makoto and studying to become a doctor.
- Beta Couple: With Makoto.
- Covert Pervert: Most of the time he's the Straight Man, until you bait him with series of big boobs. Happens again with the Hot Spring scene.
- Face of a Thug: His normal expression apparently looks like an angry glare to most people, who naturally assume him to be a Delinquent.
- Only Sane Man
- The Smart Guy
- Stoic Spectacles: Complete with long hair!
Rinka HimejiFormer Student Council Secretary. Used to be Adachi's "right hand man" in middle school and nicknamed 'The Bloody Pantheress.' Four years later, she's working hard in order to take over her family's company one day as CEO.
- The Chick
- Chickification: She was introduced as Adachi's former right-hand-woman, who had a fairly strong reputation as a fighter. By Chapter 55, she doesn't even seem capable of taking on a couple of Mooks. She gets more and more girly; always cleaning some mess with her broom, interested in makeup and clothes and generally coming as the weakest member of the gang, even behind Chiba, since nobody is taking her seriously. Jokingly acknowledged in chapter 119 when she attempts to invoke an Expository Hairstyle Change.
- Informed Ability: Despite her position and nickname, she's never actually seen fighting.
- Large Ham: Though she quiets down after a few chapters.
- Moe: In-universe. She seems to have a Dojikko reputation. Her small size does not help either. She even got a chapter cover as a clumsy Meido.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B
Gaku IzumiFormer Student Council Co-Vice President. Second highest grades and second strongest fighter. Four years later, he's aiming to become a lawyer.
- Badass Bookworm
- Jack-of-All-Stats: No matter how hard he tries he's always second to Chiba in grade and Hana in strength.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Appears cold on the outside and frequently squabbles with Shinagawa but he once quit the Student Council so that they wouldn't have to get caught up in his mess.
- The Lancer
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Anything he writes.
"Previous Monshiro Student Council"
Akita HikaruOne year older than the main cast, Akita is the former president of the Student Council. He's usually an easygoing, peaceful and laid back person. Just never ever call him a girl, or simply say the word when he's around. Four years later, he's still dating Kairi.
- Ax-Crazy: Would attack anyone in berserk mode, save for Hana.
- Berserk Button: Being called a girl. Or believing someone called him a girl.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: You would never believe he can effortlessly curb-stomp Shinagawa and Izumi both at the same time.
- The Dreaded: For Shinagawa and Izumi. He's probably the sole person they're genuinely scared of.
- Which sucks for Izumi, who had been determined to fight the boyfriend of the girl he was crushing on, only to find out it was Akita. And it also sucks for Shinagawa, because the person Akita is dating is his sister.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Kairi. Lucky for him, it worked.
- Eyes Always Shut: However, when you push his Berserk Button...
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Evil eyes when in berserk mode.
- Groin Attack: The usual way to put him back to his normal self. Has to be performed by a girl to actually work. Hmmm...
- Iconic Item: Akita is rarely seen without a fan (he actually collects them). When he drops it, you'd better flee.
- Nice Guy: Akita is the nicest guy in the world most of the time.
- Not a Morning Person: He was so often late at school that it almost made him double his 3rd year.
- Sempai/Kohai: Akita sometimes shamelessly exploits this towards the new student council.
- Slasher Smile: When you pushed his Berserk Button.
- Student Council President: Before Hana.
- Twisting the Words: More than once, he went berserk while the conversation was really about a girl and not at all about him.
"Next Monshiro Student Council"
Itsuki KagawaThe next Monshiro Student Council President after Hana, he's a former biker underling of Izumi's. Four years later, he's a policeman.
- Ax-Crazy: Was depicted this way in the posters meant to slander him during the election.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: The reason why he transferred into Monshiro and decided to run for the Student Council is because he thinks they are a bozoku. To be fair, the portrayals of the Student Council he's seen so far doesn't convince people otherwise.
Akira KitamiMonshiro Student Council Vice-President. He's also a delinquent, and lives extremely close to Monshiro.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: It surprised a lot of people when Shinagawa figured out he's this.
Anna IchinomiyaThe other Vice-President, she's a former cheerleader and the only first-year student on the Student Council.
- Comically Missing the Point: When the opposition hung up posters portraying her as a slut in order to slander her during the election, she was furious because they photoshopped her face onto a girl who only has C-cup boobs when hers are clearly D-cup.
- Trademark Favorite Food: She loves ice-cream, and visits the ice-cream parlour everyday after school.
"The Shinagawa Family"
- Badass Family: There's Shinagawa himself, his father who can kick his ass with little effort and is a world-class surgeon, his mother the international lawyer, his sister who scares the crap outta him sometimes, his sister's boyfriend Akita, one of the top three fighters in the entire series, and sorta adopted son Yoh Adachi, who is another of the top three fighters in the entire series. You really wouldn't want to mess with them.