Characters: Darians Tale
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet covers the Darian's Tale trilogy (also known as the "Owls" trilogy).
Darian Firkin k'Vala k'Valdemar
- Bond Creatures: Receives his bondbird Kuari at the end of Owlsight.
- Parental Abandonment: The plot of Owlknight is mostly about finding out what happened to his parents.
- Raised by Natives: In a way. Darian starts effectively an orphan and under the care of the village wizard since he shows Mage Talent. He quite literally runs into the Tayledras and then is whisked off with them to better train his Talent. It is established pretty early on that he will be a mediator between Valdemarans and the Tayledras.
- Bond Creatures: His bondbird
- Chosen Conception Partner: We found out that he's Firesong's father. By the remarks made, it was an extremely business-like arrangement and not exactly uncommon amongst Tayledras, quite possibly to either increase genetic diversity or provide offspring to those who can't have biological children or those who don't care to be paired with someone.
- Earn Your Title: He reportedly got his name when he climbed up a waterfall and right when he was diving into the lake below, a shooting star shot across the sky.
- Bond Creatures: His bondbird, Hweel and Hweel's mate, Huur.
- Parental Substitute: Becomes a hybrid of father figure and older brother to Darian.
Ayshen the Hertasi
- Intellectual Animal
- Team Mom: Though male, he is this and quartermaster/cook for the clean-up and exploratory expedition from k'Vala. Even during the dead of winter, he can find fresh greens and yes, he will hover over you until you eat it all.
- Snake Talk: Because of the gryphon vocal anatomy.
- Trrrilling Rrrs: Because of the gryphon vocal anatomy.
Healer Keisha Alder
- The Empath: And she very nearly became a hermit because she was not able to shut out others' emotions.
- Deadpan Snarker: She's self-described as "prickly."
- Healing Hands
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Despite being eminently sensible and just as pretty as her sister Shandi (if Darian's reaction indicates anything), in her introduction, she doesn't think too highly of herself, noting that while Shandi got all the rose petals, she got all the thorns, just like her name (a derivation of "acacia," a thorny plant). She gets better.
- Refused The Call: She originally thought that her sister's Companion Karles was looking to choose her and promptly went into a flurry of panic and fury.
- Taught by Experience: Never formally attends Healer's Collegium. Instead, she studies every book on Healing she can get and hones her Gift herself. When the Collegium hears about her, they send her more books and a set of Healer's Greens.
Herald Shandi Alder and Companion Karles
- Action Girl: Several years of Collegium training will do that, even to a former girly girl who was obsessed with dyes and embroidery.
- Battle Couple: With Steelmind.
- The Ingenue: Before being Chosen, she was known as one of the sweetest girls around and had boys chasing after her. She wasn't totally naive, but clueless about how to let them down gracefully.
- The Empath
Herald-Mage Anda and Companion Eran
- It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: When he finds out that dyheli can impart full knowledge of a language into a person's memory in one session, he's raring to go, especially when he finds out that he has his option of five languages to start. He ends up unconscious in the middle of a field with a bad nosebleed because he'd asked for all five at once (for reference, one language transfer knocks you unconscious and then gives you a nasty headache that has most people groping for the nearest painkiller and no desire to go through it again). Darian gives him very little sympathy but does give him a painkiller, which comes with no sweetener (it's horrendously bitter) and an acerbic remark from the Healer along the lines of "And if doesn't work, hit Anda over the head with the bottle, owing that he is too stupid to live."