Anime: Scan 2 Go
Scan 2 Go is a merchandise driven children's anime about people who play with toy race cars in the future with people throughout the galaxy. The titular cars stop at several pit stops throughout the race (just like the toys) and require a card to be "scanned" into a slot on the top of the car to "go". The English dub, at least, is brought to you by Nelvana, the same studio that dubbed other merchandise-driven anime, such as Beyblade (and its sequels) and Bakugan.
Tropes represented on this show:
- Berserk Button: Don't tell Taiga he isn't better than his "Brother" Zero.
- Also, never put his friends on danger or insults them in front of Shiro. Or insult him for being too serious.
- Catch Phrase: Kaz's is "Faster than anyone!"
- Conspicuous CG
- Evolving Credits: once after Shiro joins the group, and once again after the group arrives on Earth.
- Five-Man Band:
- Fun with Acronyms: the "JET" in Team JET stands for "Junior Earth Team".
- Ki Attacks: In the anime, Ryu (The main antagonist right now) can shoot fire, charge an energy attack with his car that rams into the opponent, and much more. He can also create stadiums out of magma and can literally go into people's minds. He used the mind-reading thing on Shiro.
- Merchandise-Driven: It's one of those shows that features realistic (at least visually) depictions of the product it's designed to sell, like Yu-Gi-Oh! (in the Japanese version, anyway), and Beyblade. It's even dubbed by the same company, Nelvana, who dubbed the anime of several of our most popular incarnations of this trope, lately.
- No Export for You: Literally, despite there is a Japanese dub and the series is partly animated in Japan. It never got released due to issues with both animation studios.
- Serious Business: In Scan 2 Go, the toy cars are still toy cars, but the game is played by space travelers, and the cars are treated as if they're sentient and have spirit.
- The Stoic: Shiro
- What Could Have Been: The series is supposed to have a Japanese release, but never happened.