Magical Stage Fancy Lala
is the fifth Magical Girl
series to be put out by Studio Pierrot
One day, nine-year-old Miho Shinohara is given two stuffed dinosaurs by a stranger. The stuffed dinosaurs come to life and present her with a magic sketchbook and pen. Within limits, and subject to varying degrees of control, she can draw in the sketchbook and bring the drawings to life. Miho can also transform into a teenage girl, whom she names Fancy Lala. Fancy Lala is scouted by Yumi Haneishi, the president of the talent agency Lyrical Productions, and begins the long road to stardom.
- Art Initiates Life: The magic sketchbook does this.
- Bishōnen: Hiroya
- Bittersweet Ending
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Toki no kioku ni omoi wo komete, ima, Fancy Lala ni karei naru seichou!" ("Bringing my thoughts into the memory of time, grow now magnificently into Fancy Lala!")
- Cinderella Circumstances: Miho in the pilot, but averted in the series
- Dub Name Change: In the English version, Pigu's name has been changed to Pog, probably because Pigu sounded too much like the word Pig.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Especially if they're talking dinosaurs.
- Genki Girl: Miho.
- Girlish Pigtails: Miho and Miki
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals
- Growing Up Sucks
- Important Haircut
- Magic Idol Singer
- Mysterious Protector: Mystery Man
- Non-Human Sidekick: Mogu and Pigu, the stuffed dinosaurs.
- Older Alter Ego: Fancy Lala
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Mogu and Pigu
- Plucky Girl: Miho.
- Precocious Crush: 9-year-old Miho has a crush on 19-year-old Hiroya.
- Potty Failure: Miho's older sister wets her bed during a flashback at one point
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Main character is a non-evil version. The Curtains Match the Window.
- The Rival: Miki, a fellow Idol Singer.
- Sexy Mentor: Hiroya
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Miho and Akiru, though Miho isn't that much of a tomboy. She's just more vocal than Akiru, who is normally rather reserved.
- Transformation Sequence
- Transformation Trinket: The pen, which is decorated with a small clock whose hands spin forward during each Transformation Sequence.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Lala’s hair is a mix of blue and green.