zarpaulus on Aug 30th 2015 at 2:55:22 PM
Last Edited By:
zarpaulus on Mar 20th 2018 at 9:35:42 AM
Page Type: Trope
An instinctive behavior in both animals and humans when injured is to lick the wound.
Saliva does contain anti-bacterial agents and possibly tissue factors that promote healing, but it's not generally recommended in Real Life given the possibility of infection and especially not after major surgery. Hence the existence of the Cone of Shame.
Often used as an indication that My Instincts Are Showing.
- In one episode of Wolf's Rain Toboe is shown licking Tsume's injuries, which he objects to when he wakes up. Note that they're wolves who project illusions to make them look like humans.
- In One Piece, not long after Zoro gets transported to Mihawk's personal island, he battled warrior gorillas who use their spit as first aid. Zoro lampshades it, being appalled by the gorillas' intelligence.
- In Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland after Alice returns the Bandersnatch's eye it licks the festering claw marks it left on her arm in their last encounter, causing them to heal in seconds.
- Having brought the wounded rabbit Hazel back to Watership Down, Hazel and the other rabbits try licking the wound in Hazel's right flank. The tern Kehaar asks them if they've removed the little black stones. "Stones?" wondered Hazel. "Always with gun is come little black stones. You never see?" Kehaar then uses his narrow forceps-like beak to extract the shotgun pellets from Hazel's soft tissue. This scene is faithfully animated in Nepenthe Productions' Animated Adaptation.
- In The Coming Race, the Vril-ya are able to heal wounds by kissing them.
- Artemis Fowl: Dwarf saliva apparently has healing properties. Mulch is able to recover both thumbs being badly burned in a few minutes thanks to this.
- In The Summoner Trilogy, Fletcher's Salamander can actually heal wounds this way.
- Lampshaded in The Alienist when Dr. Kreizler offers to lick a cut on his servant Mary's hand. He tells her that saliva contains a natural coagulant.
- In Hc Svnt Dracones canid characters can take the "Antiseptic Saliva" Bio-Augmentation, which acts similar to a First Aid check without needing to roll.
- A potential trait in Niche - a genetics survival game is "healing saliva".
- Chrono Trigger: One of the first techniques that Frog (an anthropomorphic frog) learns is Slurp, which restores a small amount of health to himself or another party member, and does indeed involve him licking that person.
- The Fox Sister: After her fight with Soot Bull the kumiho's shadow is shown in fox form licking the shoulder he injured.
- In Girl Genius Maxim licks his hand after it gets impaled by Old Man Death.
- Exploited by Zii in Ménage à 3. When the she burns her tongue with hot coffee, she tells the attractive waitress Sonya that they need to apply saliva on the burn, and the best way to do that is making out. Sonya doesn't realize Zii has saliva in her own mouth.
- In Beauty and the Beast, the Beast licks his wounds after rescuing Belle from the wolves, while Belle tries to clean them with fresh water instead.
Feedback: 13 replies