Page Type: trope
A single solid projectile is flying towards the target or targets, only to be split into two halves midair by external forces such as an Absurdly Sharp Blade. This allows hitting multiple targets or a target that would be typically able to avoid the original projectile's trajectory.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Doraemon: In The Doraemons spinoff, Dora The Kid (the cowboy cat robot) at one point is in a gunfight with a pair of villains. At one point, as the 2 baddies is about to attack him from both sides, Kid quickly finds an idea: using his unique Air Shot Arm Cannon, he shoots it to the tree in front of him; the "air bullet" splits into 2 upon hitting the tree, the halves of which then hit the 2 baddies at the same time.
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine: during the opening where the team of mutants' assault on a building, Wade Wilson enters a room full of armed mob which proceeds to fire at him. At one point, he cuts an incoming bullet with his katana, which splits it in two; the halves then hit 2 mobs behind him.
- San Basilio: the protagonist splits his bullet with a knife to kill two goons.
- There's the myth (proven possible by the MythBusters) that Davy Crockett shot a lead ball at an axe so it could be cut in half and hit two targets.
- BIONICLE: In the comics, Pohatu and Tahu defeat a pair of Tarakava by the former kicking a large boulder at the latter to cut in half so each half would hit each Tarakava behind him.
- Mega Man Zero 4:
- One of the bosses, Mino Magnus, has a move where he makes a cluster of metal junk usink his magnetism ability. Then, as the cluster floats towards him, he smashes it with his axe, causing the chunk to split in two as they're launched away from him.
- One of Dr. Weil's moves after he goes One-Winged Angel is to shoot a large, slow moving Energy Ball. Said ball can be shot/slashed by Zero, but upon hitting it enough, it'll split into 3 smaller energy balls.
- Mega Man ZX Advent: One of Thetis' boss moves (in Ashe's storyline) is to generate a chunk of ice in front of him, then he slashes it with jis halberd, causing a spread of icicles to shoot out. After Ashe gains his form, she can use a weaker version of the attack.
- The Flintstones: a bowling ball splits into two halves after being lobbed into the air in order to successfully hit a split.
Feedback: 31 replies