WiseMan23753 on Jun 12th 2018 at 4:37:56 AM
Last Edited By:
WiseMan23753 on Oct 10th 2018 at 6:24:34 PM
Page Type: trope
Hold on, why is there static? Where are the displayed weak points? Not even Boss Subtitles?
The Final Boss will always be introduced very differently from the normal bosses. Where weak points and data are shown, they are marked unknown. When Mission Control would warn you about an incoming assailant, the transmission cuts to static. And instead of a typical Boss Warning Siren, you would have a list of messages or voice appear in front of you, usually voiced by the said boss.
See Boss Warning Siren and Boss Subtitles, both of which involve this trope almost all the time. See also Point of No Return when the game outright tells you that you will be entering the final battle. Suspicious Video Game Generosity has a hallway filled up with items prepares you for the inevitable confrontation.
Video Game Examples include:
- The House of the Dead games would always label the last bosses' weak points UNKNOWN.
- In many Kirby games that have a True Arena or similar, the last boss will have its name in question marks. It's because they are bosses that aren't encountered in the main story mode.
- Although the original Portal does not have it, Portal Two normally shows screens featuring ads from Aperture Science when entering the Test Chambers. When Wheatley takes over the facility, however, you get computer blue screens and broken test chamber monitors as you approach him, indicating how little time you have before the facility explodes.
- Radiant Silvergun and its successor Ikaruga would have the infamous NO REFUGE warning. However, when it gets close to the end, it shifts to the Stone-Like speaking one boss stage at a time.
- The former game would have the final words: BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS. 1. BE PRAYING. 2. BE PRAYING. 3. BE PRAYING.
Non-Video Game Examples
- Each of the Witches in Puella Magi Madoka Magica would have their names in runes. Walpurgis Night, on the other hand, has only question marks.
- Whenever the protagonists of Yuki Yuna is a Hero have to deal with the Vertex, their phone would light up with "FORESTIZE WARNING". In a serious emergency, it's respectively labeled "EMERGENCY WARNING".
Feedback: 9 replies