F1Krazy on Jul 22nd 2016 at 6:54:37 AM
Last Edited By:
Tarhalindur on Jan 9th 2018 at 7:02:33 AM
Page Type: trope
A Sub-Trope of Slice of Life shows, and most commonly seen in Moe-oriented Anime, Cute Girls Doing X Things shows feature a group of cute girls who all share a particular interest or hobby, around which the show revolves. Usually, there are five of them, and usually they're of High School age, with a school club dedicated to their activities.
Typically, these shows will have more of a plot than standard Slice of Life shows due to the focus on the activity, and may even verge into full-on Action territory depending on what the activity actually is (, for example). By and large, however, they still maintain the light-hearted, fairly comedic tone of the Slice of Life genre as a whole.
For a show to count as "Cute Girls Doing X Things", the main cast has to be entirely female - there might not even be any male characters in the entire show - and they have to share a hobby that's central to the show's premise (otherwise it's just "cute girls doing cute things", i.e. Slice of Life). A lot of Idol Singer shows fall into this category, as do some (but not all) Magical Girl shows.
Shows of this type also tend to be Schoolgirl Series and School Club Stories, though not always (and shows under those tropes aren't necessarily this trope either). If it's an anime, it'll usually feature a Japanese School Club. They will often feature an Improbably Female Cast, and may feature a Tournament Arc in which they take their hobby to a competitive level. Some of the girls may count as Otaku depending on the hobby and their level of obsession with it.
Examples of this trope include:
Anime and Manga
- Aikatsu! is Cute Girls Doing Idol Things. - Zero-Context Example
- Bakuon!! is Cute Girls Doing Motorbike Things. Many people have noted its similarities to K-On. - Zero-Context Example
- Girls und Panzer is Cute Girls Doing Tank Things. - Zero-Context Example
- K-On! is Cute Girls Doing Music Things. One of the more well-known examples. - Zero-Context Example
- The Idolmaster and its sequel, THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls, are Cute Girls Doing Idol Things. - Zero-Context Example
- As are Love Live! and its sequel, Love Live! Sunshine!!. - Zero-Context Example, How to Write an Example - Remember That This Is A Wiki
- Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara is Cute Girls Doing Magical Girl Things (somewhat reluctantly, on the part of the protagonist). - Zero-Context Example
- New Game! is Cute Girls Doing Game Development Things. A rare Work Com example, as they're all adults working at a game development company, so it's their job rather than a hobby.
- Sabagebu! is Cute Girls Doing Airsoft Things. It's more action-oriented than many examples, but still counts. - Zero-Context Example
- School-Live! is Cute Girls Doing Zombie Apocalypse Things. Not quite a straight example due to the show's Survival Horror nature and frequent Gut Punches.
- Tokurei Sochi Dantai Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu, like Sabagebu, is Cute Girls Doing Airsoft Things, but with an added dose of Mind Screw. - Zero-Context Example
- Upotte!! is Cute Girls Doing Gun Things. An exaggeration of this trope in which the characters are literally anthropomorphic personifications of actual guns.
Feedback: 14 replies