Unicorndance on Jan 23rd 2019 at 2:09:20 PM
Last Edited By:
Unicorndance on Jan 31st 2019 at 3:49:00 PM
Page Type: trope
A lot of comedies seem to follow this rule: if farting is funny, then it's even funnier when it's underwater, the reason being that farting underwater produces a bubble.
The thing is, this bubble means that it's pretty hard to pretend you didn't fart, while on the flip side, if there is air in your swimsuit, it's easy to be mistaken for having farted. Also, it's clear who did it unless more than one person is in close proximity to the one who farted. Also, bubbles are sort of inherently funny anyway.
- In Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Milo is embarrassed when he falls into a pool and air loudly bubbles out of his shorts, making it seem like he farted.
- In Finding Nemo, a bunch of underwater mines explode, and a pelican mistakes another pelican for having farted because the explosion caused a bubble near the pelican.
- A scene in The Lion King 1½, Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa hang out in a pool of water that bubbles like a hot tub. When Pumbaa gets out, the bubbles disappear, implying they were all because of his farting.
- In the first movie, Shrek farts in the bath and it smells so bad, a fish dies.
- In Shrek Two, Shrek and Fiona fart in a mud bath, grossing out some fairies.
- Hot Shots! Part Deux: When President Benson and his team are scuba diving and an enemy boat appears overhead, the president does an enormous fart that stinks the enemy soldiers out so bad, that it actually kills them.
- In The Legend of Johnny Lingo, when Tama and Mahana are playing in the water, Tama makes Mahana laugh by making fart bubbles.
- Mr. Popper's Penguins: One of the penguins is named Stinky because he farts a lot. He once farts while in a tub of icy water.
- In Nim's Island, Nim is worried that some tourists will bother her animal friends, so she tries to get Selkie the sea lion to fart next to the boat to put them off visiting the island.
- In The Smurfs Two, the Smurfs are bathing in the sink and Grouchy farts, which disgusts Vanity.
- In the Dirty Bertie book "Pooh, Is That You, Bertie?", Bertie is told off for farting in public, then says, "We all do it, but I do it best of all, especially in the bath!".
- In the kids' book Farley Farts, Farley's sister is amused by Farley farting in the pool.
- In The Stinger of the Good Luck Charlie episode "Battle of the Bands", Bob and Gabe use Bruce and Lucas's hot tub while Bruce and Lucas are away. Bubbles appear and Gabe asks how it was possible because he didn't put the setting on. Bob says that he didn't either, but with three trays of tacosnote , they're going to get bubbles.
- A gag in The Critic has Jay in a jacuzzi. Some women want to join him, but then they realize it isn't turn on, but there are bubbles anyway.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: In "Hot Buttered Ed", there's a scene where Ed is smiling while making fart bubbles in the ocean. Edd and Eddy glare at him.
- In the Family Guy episode "Extra Large Medium", Meg and Stewie are forced to bathe together and entertain each other by farting in the tub. When Meg queefs, Stewie runs out screaming.
- In the Kick Buttowski episode "Clean... to the Extreme", one of the deals in the Chain of Deals is providing the bubbles for Brianna's bath. Gunther does so by farting but Brianna doesn't seem to mind.
- Implied in the Phineas and Ferb episode "Spa Day", when Buford is in a jacuzzi. He says it isn't plugged in, but it's bubbling anyway.
- The Ren & Stimpy Show: Ren farts in the bath in "Space Madness".
- In The Simpsons episode "The Two Mrs Nahasapeemapetilons", Homer and Apu are sitting in a jacuzzi and Jasper offers to turn on the bubbles.
Feedback: 14 replies