Omeganian on Nov 7th 2018 at 10:18:49 AM
Last Edited By:
Omeganian on Nov 12th 2018 at 12:44:28 PM
Page Type: trope
A couple gets married. Theoretically, they should have sex the wedding night... but sometimes they don't.
The reasons could be numerous. Perhaps they are simply too nervous. Perhaps it is an arranged marriage, and they need to get used to each other. Or were married while still too young. Or... well, maybe simply The Loins Sleep Tonight.
Can be very much Truth in Television.
- The plot of My Wife Is a High School Girl involves Asami Onohara, a seventeen-year old high-school student who is married to Kyosuke Ichimaru, her physics teacher in the same high school she attends. However, even though they are officially a married couple, Asami's father forbids them to have any sexual contact until after Asami has graduated.
- In The Thin Line by JayCee (NSFW), Luke, after getting married to Mara, discovers she hates sex due to Palpatine's habit of handing her out as a favor since she was fourteen. The rest of the fic is her trying to get past it.
- In Second Chances by TheNovelArtist, it is mentioned that, with Marinette's first marriage, her and Nathaniel were so nervous their wedding night, they ended up merely cuddling together in their underwear.
- In And Her White Cloak Faded, Raven requires a lot of calming down to reign her powers in enough for sex. Therefore, because of all the excitement of the wedding, and her being raised by monks and all... it took three months for her and Beast Boy to have their first time.
- In The Smiling Lieutenant, the protagonist Niki is forced into a marriage with Princess Anna and on their wedding night he refuses to sleep in her room. It's a comedy so the trope is played for laughs as Niki repeatedly (knowingly or not) misunderstands his wife trying to get him to stay. Watch the scene here.
- In one of the Deryni novels, the queen informs a nobleman that he will wait to consummate his marriage until his bride turns 14. (The girl was a royal ward and had been raised in the queen's household, which gave her additional leverage on whether the girl was old enough for sex.) He waits until she turns 14 ... but promptly consummates the marriage at that point.
- In A Brother's Price a man marries all the sisters of a family, but as the younger wives may not yet be interested in men, they can have a Sexless Marriage with him until they come of age. Or forever, considering that some wives may still be toddlers when the wedding takes place. With between ten and thirty women sharing one husband, it is presumably no problem if one or two sisters want to be celibate.
- In Disgaea 3, after Almaz and Sapphire get married, and part-way through the honeymoon, Almaz complains that he hasn't even had the opportunity to kiss his wife yet.
- Aisha, one of the wives of The Prophet Muhammad, was married to him at the age of six. The age at which the marriage was consummated, while still unacceptable by modern standards, wasn't until years later (some modern researchers claim she was much older, but no one questions the gap).
- It was common in some parts of India that the husband is three times as old as his wife during the wedding. Often, the wife, being a child, continued living with her parents for a few years afterwards.
Feedback: 9 replies