Useful Notes British English Discussion

Collapse/Expand Topics

01:59:27 PM Jan 2nd 2016
The series [i]Doctor Who[/i] used the term "sandshoes" to refer to David Tennant's footwear in the 50th anniversary special. That's not a term used in the USA. From context I would guess it's another word for sneakers/tennis shoes, but I don't know if it's for some particular type. Could a native speaker please make the appropriate addition? Thanks!
06:27:51 AM Jan 3rd 2016
It's more of a Scottish term than a UK English one (I think it might be Aussie too). It usually means plimsoles, but it can also mean any sort of athletic shoe with a rubber sole and a fabric body.
Collapse/Expand Topics