08:45:20 AM Nov 8th 2012
edited by NhazUl
edited by NhazUl
I don't know where this belongs, so I'll put it here for now. I decided to list the similarities between Beast Wars and Prime, since these two are often compared on various forums:
- Expy: Most character archetypes, of course:
- The Optimuses and Megatrons, also Starscream and Terrorsaur.
- Wheeljack is a loner like Tigatron and is obsessed bwith revenge on Dreadwing, not unlike Depth Charge was obsessed with Rampage. Said Dreadwing displays a code of honor much like Dinobot's.
- The Big Guy on the good team is a green Gentle Giant.
- Airachnid is basically Blackarachnia with her redeeming features replaced by Tarantulas' creepiness.
- Now the less obvious part - the story:
- During the first season we have mostly episodes that contain MacGuffin hunts, which have the purpose of introducing the characters.
- In one episode, an evil backstabbing flyer acquires a different kind of energon that grants him great power. Said flyer is quick to gloat and is soon reverted to a powerless state.
- In another, a good character imbibes a green liuid that causes him to go on a rampage in the enemy stronghold.
- Near the end of the first season, when facing a greater threat, Megatron offers a truce and Optimus accepts.
- During an important plot arc, the leaders of both factions fight one-on-one in a mountainous place during a storm. Both recite passages of the Covenant of Primus. Optimus loses the battle and Megatron gloats to him.
- At the end of the first season Optimus defeats a greater entity which is threatening the entire planet and this result in his loss to the Autobot/Maximal team. Therefore the second season begins without Optimus and his return to the Autobots/Maximals is a major plot point.
- A scheming member (Tarantulas/Starscream) of the evil team defects and finds himself a separate base of operations.
- Later on, Optimus and Megatron each acquire an Amplifier Artifact related to their ancestors - the former in a heroic and almost sanctified moment, the latter through unholy means.
- A mighty warrior with a strict honor code joins Megatron's team. He dies shortly after disobeying an order he considered dishonorable.
- The second season ends with a cliffhanger: Optimus Prime appears dead and Earth's fate is at stake.