- Adaptation Displacement: Maybe one of the most magnificent examples of it—the story began as a Hardboiled Detective novel (Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett), then became a Jidai Geki film (Yojimbo), and was then adapted once more as a Spaghetti Western (A Fistful of Dollars). Later, it was adapted into a gangster flick, Last Man Standing.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Sanjūrō brings a knife to a gun fight, and wins!
- Let's not forget that he escapes from the clan with a gun barely ten minutes earlier, having been beaten half to death, with no sword, without being seen, and without being able to use his legs.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Sanjūrō's theme. It's about fifteen seconds long, but it suits him perfectly and it kicks ass.
- The whole soundtrack by Masaru Sato.
- Magnificent Bastard: Sanjūrō, minus the bastard part, and also Unosuke, the way he sees through Sanjūrō. But Sanjūrō escapes.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: The standoff between Sanjūrō and Ushitora's men.