- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The sequence with Nick dancing (albeit, drunkenly) to "I Won't Dance" by Frank Sinatra. However, the scene may also just be Rule of Cool because it is massively fun to watch him dance around with his Cool Hat.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Several Frank Sinatra songs play during the film since Nick is a huge fan of the guy.
- As is director Nancy Meyers; Sinatra often appears in many of her films.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Mel Gibson in a romantic comedy with Helen Hunt, a Jew. Think about it.
- Older Than They Think: A guy with socializing problems gains the ability to read minds, uses it to improve his social standing, then loses the ability, but gains true love in return. How old do you think it is? At the very least, just under two centuries.
- So Bad, It's Good: The movie's sexism is so ridiculous that some people can't help but laugh at it.
- Tear Jerker: Erin the File girl.
(Thinking): "Oh, god! He almost killed me! ...Too bad he missed."