YMMV: The Great Race
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: For a movie that up until that point had been a slapstick comedy, the Breather Episode when Natalie Wood sings a charming love song by a stream, complete with lyrics and "follow the bouncing ball" animation like a Terry Tunes cartoon short, seems to come completely out of nowhere.
- Canon Sue: Leslie is very much this. Played for Laughs, as the movie is very aware of it.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: For a given value of awesome, but the Great Race (a march as befitting the 1908 setting) was one of the most popular film scores in the orchestral "pops" repertoire until it was displaced by Star Wars.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Some fans consider Maggie / Professor Fate as having more chemistry than Leslie / Maggie. Probably not helped by how one hilarious scene has her actually kissing the guy. There's actually some Reality Subtext here. Natalie Wood was forced by the studio to do this movie against her wishes, then to make matters worse she was paired up with Tony Curtis. They'd already done two films together and had developed a passionate hatred for each other, so the lack of chemistry between Maggie and Leslie was genuine.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Professor Fate. Despite Leslie being the hero and the Knight in Shining Armor, Jack Lemmon's villainous, over-the-top, hammy portrayal won the hearts of many. Jack Lemmon even mentioned that he got the most fan mail about the Professor than any other character he ever played.