- Americans Hate Tingle: Johnny Rotten openly mocked Smith's first London performance for her bohemian, "hippie" appearance, compared with the working class orientation of British punk.
- Creator Couple: Patti and Robert Mapplethorpe. They were The Muse for each other and felt they were soulmates. Those photos on her album covers? All taken by him, up to Dream of Life, taken about a year before he died of AIDS.
- Smith's romantic relationship with Blue Oyster Cult keyboardist Allen Lanier lead to her writing a number of songs for the group, and performing backing vocals on a few songs. Additionally, Lanier played keyboards on her songs "Elegie", "Kimberly", and "Space Monkey".
- Her song Fire of Unknown Origin was not only recorded by the BOC, it became the title of the LP.
- Fan Nickname: "The Godmother of Punk".
- First Installment Wins: While there are some great albums (particularly the next two), there's a general consensus that Horses has guaranteed her place in music history.
- Les Yay: Smith's cover of "Gloria" can be seen as being about a female-on-female one night stand. Similarly for "Debbie Denise", a song she wrote for Blue Oyster Cult, though it underwent a sex-change when BOC performed it. There was also a photo shoot that implied this with Lizzy Mercier Descloux (a famous No Wave artist). In her autobiography she claims to be completely straight, though.
- The Muse : Patti may have been the life-model for "Suzie", the character who steps in and out of many Blue Oyster Cult songs, as a fiery, independently-minded strong woman answerable to nobody who takes no shit from anyone.
- She also inspired the K.T. Tunstall song Suddenly I see, which is dedicated to her.
- One-Hit Wonder: Like Devo, despite her long, acclaimed career, she's only had one real hit: "Because the Night". The fact that it was co-written with Bruce Springsteen might have something to do with it.
- Signature Song: "Gloria", or possibly "Because the Night".
- The Woobie: For a spell in 1994, when the poor woman lost her husband, brother and long-time keyboardist all within a few months.