- Alternate Character Interpretation: For all his crassness and boozing, the fact Mitchell spends much of the movie pursuing Deaney to avenge the death of a nameless, non-white burglar no one else cares about should count for something.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The scene where Mitchell gets into an argument with a small boy while on stakeout.
- Designated Hero: The title character is an alcoholic slob of a cop who behaves like a complete Jerkass most of the time. Sure, he's a little more on the ball than his colleagues (only he suspects that Deaney may not have acted in self defense), but other than that he's a damn lousy cop. When a criminal tries to bribe him by sending him a prostitute, he actually sleeps with her.note
- Ear Worm: The theme song.
- Special Effect Failure: The visible boom mike during the dinner scene; Joel helpfully points it out.
- Squick: BABY OIL!?