- Alternate Character Interpretation: For all his crassness and boozing, the fact Mitchell spends much of the movie pursuing Deaney to avenge the death of a nameless, non-white burglar no one else cares about should count for something.
- Badass Boast: Mitchell seems to try and invoke this when talking to Deaney after finding out he was the one who paid Greta. Deaney seems unconvinced. Though Mitchell ends up being right.
Mitchell: "She'll lie in my bed for free."
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The scene where Mitchell gets into an argument with a small boy while on stakeout.
- Designated Hero: The title character is an alcoholic slob of a cop who behaves like a complete Jerkass most of the time. Sure, he's a little more on the ball than his colleagues (only he suspects that Deaney may not have acted in self defense), but other than that he's a damn lousy cop. When a criminal tries to bribe him by sending him a prostitute, he actually sleeps with her.note
- Ear Worm: The theme song.
- Special Effect Failure: The visible boom mike during the dinner scene; Joel helpfully points it out.
- Squick: BABY OIL!?
- Strangled by the Red String: Unless Mitchell is hung like a horse, there's no reason why Greta should find him attractive in any way.