- Awesome Music: Minsweeper - The Musical.
- Just One More Level: You've probably spent far too long playing Minesweeper at some point.
- Nightmare Fuel: The game can become this when a player is very concentrated and suddenly clicks on a mine. Especially in the Vista/Windows 7 version where the mines actually make explosion noises when clicked. That and the way the smiley face in previous versions just sits at the top of the screen, staring, waiting for you to mess up.
- Nightmare Retardant: The Vista/Windows 7 version has a mode that replaces mines with flowers that, when clicked, plays a very relaxing tune that would more likely be associated with winning than losing. Done in part to prevent No Export for You. There are parts of the world where leftover explosive devices are a big problem and including the game would prevent Windows from being sold there. So we get a pleasant field of flowers instead.
- Video Game Movies Suck: Subverted with Minesweeper The Movie.