- Ass Pull: Peter Paltridge wanted "The New Adventures of the Nettropolis Narvel" to have the most unpredictable ending he could think of for a romance. He succeeded in that area, but the lack of foreshadowing might weaken its emotional appeal.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The part of "Deviantaaargh" when the NFP staff meets an avatar resembling a stick figure version of JJ from Good Times feels like this in context of the story. In context of the whole series, the stick figure appears again in "WTF", as one of Suē's flings.
- Fridge Brilliance: In "The New Adventures of the Nettropolis Narvel," why did Narvel have to kiss Vicky twice before they could escape the Sim Life? Narvel and Vicky shared their first kiss while she only loved him for selfish reasons, but Narvel kissed Vicky a second time after she decided to put his needs before her wants, which apparently restored enough of her purity for her to become Girl Friday again.
- Fridge Horror: Shroomy grabs ahold of Harmoxacil in "Shrooming With Shroomy" after Aerynn transports it from NJ's grandfather's apartment along with the VHS tapes. The implications of him resorting to drugs for curbing loneliness, and possibly becoming as crazy as Shroomy did, never get touched upon.
- Jerkass Woobies: Suē and NJ in "WTF". Their actions do seem hard to forgive, but a reader must wonder if their society punishes them too strongly. Trawn's "The Reason You Suck" Speech suggests that she also believes this.
- Moral Event Horizon: Shroomy crosses this in "Shrooming With Shroomy", after pushing Nina Wing out the window.
- Nausea Fuel: The first three panels of this page of "Valentine's Day Massacre". Peter based them on a comic one of his readers actually made and sent him.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: In "Into Thin Aerynn", NJ challenges Aerynn to keep the staff under control for two hours, without magic. Instead of accepting, Aerynn drops a safe on NJ and declares him the "winner".
- The Woobie:
"Deviantaaargh" Description: Can't a girl dressed like a mushroom get any respect in this world?
- Shroomy has a tendency to feel unloved by society.
Lululu: I gotta have my job back!Trawn: And if you find something else that distracts you, are you just going to disappear without any warning again?Lululu: Probably. But if you don't feed me, who will?Trawn: Good enough...welcome back.
- Aerynn also qualifies when she talks about her past struggles to find someone who could accept her despite her powers. This could explain why she consoles Shroomy more willingly than the others in her times of feeling inferiority.note
- Lululu's poverty and immobility would make her a Jerkass Woobie if not for the fact she does not appear to have a heart of gold.
- Trawn has her dreams of becoming a famous journalist shot down after her desire to share harsh truths clashes against corporate media's attitude.
- NJ also has some crushed hopes. These feel especially pitiful in the Whole Episode Flashback "The Time That People Forgot", when a vocational test's results (claiming he'll become a cartoonist someday) leave him in doubt about his future.
- Natasha seemed hard not to pity when she grew up unable to overcome Nathaniel Wing's shadow.