- Alternate Character Interpretation: Saffron. Some see her as a figure who stays with her abusive mother not out of one-sided love but due to a fear of going it alone in the world and opting to take her mother's abuse in exchange for Edina supporting her financially.
- Although she did move out for a while against her mother's wishes, and it is later revealed that she is legally the owner of Edina's incredibly expensive house.
- Also, in the episodes where Saffy considers moving into the residential halls at the university, Edina really doesn't want her to move out.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Saffron, finding out Patsy was in the kitchen when it caught on fire. "She inhaled our kitchen!"
Patsy: What year?
- Eddie and Saffron finally raid the unseen Serge's locked bedroom to find something, and accidentally come across Serge's hidden Porn Stash. When they start leafing through the stack of Playboys...
Patsy (more urgently): WHAT MONTH?!
Saffron: Oh for GOD'S SAKE that joint isn't properly rolled tight!
- When Saffron finally flees to the safety of the university dorms, she's horrified by the rank amateurs at partying she's surrounded herself with.
- Why isn't this a separate page, darling?
- Drinking Game: A very simple one. Whenever someone takes a drink, you take a drink. See you in the hospital.
- Ear Worm: "Wheel's on fire... rolling down the rooooooooooooooooooooooooad..."
- Jerkass Woobie: Patsy. Several episodes have revealed that her mother was a selfish bitch who ignored Patsy throughout childhood and adulthood and has a sister who has made repeated attempts to murder her.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Everyone treats Edina like she's grossly overweight (even Edina herself, as she has body image issues) but she actually has an average build.
- Justified as Edina works in a fashion and media orientated industry, from whence this trope was born in the first place.
- Les Yay: Between Eddie and Patsy. Oh so much.
- They even get married when they go to New York.
- Also between Saffy and Titicaca/Sarah.
- Love Martyr: Saffron. Any sane, rational person would have run as far as humanly possible from her mother, but she largely stays by her side out of maternal devotion and a firm belief that if she were to turn her back on her mother, Edina would be dead due to her stupidity.
- Moral Event Horizon: Patsy actually once sold Saffron into slavery. Though it is uncertain how much of that episode was a Mushroom Samba.
- A more literal example in the finale: Edina and Patsy do all sorts of horrible things to Saffron over the years, who suffers silently as a Love Martyr until the final special, which has Edina striking her granddaughter. Which is enough to get Saffron to disown her mother and force her and Patsy out of the house, with the reveal that Saffron is the real owner of the house (due to Saffron's dad putting the deed to the house in Saffron's name so that she couldn't be kicked out by her asshole mother). Becomes subverted in the 2012 specials when its revealed Saffron at some point forgave her mother for this and has let her move back into the house, although this can still be considered a major MEH by fans.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Edina and Patsy.