Urbance is a currently-in-production TV project produced by Canadian-American animation company Steambot Studios, which has worked in the past designing major productions with Disney, Sony, and Universal Studios. It was created and will be written and directed by Joel Dos Reis Viegas.Set in a big city, a genetic disease causes all sexual, and by extension romantic, relationships to be banned. Boys and girls are separated into different sections of the city, kept apart by blue-skinned, androgynous giants known as Mediators. Growing up hating each other, the two genders form rival gangs. However, things heat up when Lesya (of the gang The Deadly Eves) and Kenzell (The Neo Blasterz) end up falling in forbidden love.Already gaining attention for the way its flashy, colorful urban setting and the trailer's high quality animation, Urbance has a 3-minute pilot released to the general public on the Steambot website. Click here for the official website that contains character and backstory information.The kickstarter has been open for donations since September 23rd and is ending November 6th.
- Action Girl: Amy.
- Bi the Way: Lesya eyeballs Kenzell in the pilot, still does so while making out with Sam.
- Death by Sex: Shown quite explicitly in the pilot, as it's the premise of the series. Two young people who think they've found a prophylatic against the "E1 virus" die during sex.
- In Da Club: The pilot begins by showing us young people partying in a club which provides a way to temporarily block tracking devices attached to their wrists. The bouncers who search people for weapons take pleasure in being able to also examine other, ahem, physical aspects of the people they search.
- Gang Bangers: People in this series who are not part of COEVO dress this way.
- Generic Graffiti: The bathroom stalls in the club are peppered with all manner of graffiti, none of which seems to have major relevance to upcoming plot elements.
- Spiritual Successor: Potentially to Motorcity,or JetSetRadio which the former was canceled around the time word about this show got out and Word of God says the later has inspired the design of the show.
- X Meets Y: TRON meets West Side Story. Note that Steambot Studios also helped Disney with visual content for TRON: Legacy.