Western Animation: Trollkins
was a 1981 animated series premiering on September 12, 1981, which coincidentally was the same day Smurfs
aired, both in the 8:30 a.m. ET time slot, no less!
Getting back to topic, taking inspiration from The Dukes of Hazzard
and the Troll Dolls
ran for one season on CBS
. It had only 13 half-hour episodes, but each was split into two segments, so technically there were 26 episodes.
Anyways, the trolls are basically a race of different-colored beings living in a tree community called “Trolltown.” The show’s plot follows the adventures and misadventures of Blitz, Pixlee and their pet dog, Flooky. Other residents include Blitz’ father, the somewhat short, incompetent, hot-headed, fumble-mouth Mayor Lumpkin; Pixlee’s father, Sheriff Trollsom, who’s more mild-mannered, and the sheriff's two deputies that are just as incompetent and fumble minded in maintaining order. There’s also a renegade motorcycle nuisance gang known as the ‘Troll Choppers’, who terrorized the Trolltown denizens from time to time. Nonetheless, despite the escapades of each plot, there was no complete love lost amongst the trolls.
This series provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Population
- Animated Series
- Expies/Captain Ersatz: Titular trolls for The Smurfs.
- Motorcycle gang ‘Troll Choppers’ are basically troll versions of the Chopper Bunch from Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch. Even the way Mayor Lumpkin talked was similar to Rev.
- Shout-Out: Most of the episode titles ‘Trolltown Meets Kling Kong,’ ‘Escape from Alcatroll,’ ‘Robotroll,’ ‘The Troll Choppers Meet Frogzilla,’ ‘Treasure of Troll Island,’ ‘The Empire Strikes Trolltown,’ ‘Raiders of the Lost Troll,’ ‘The Moth That Ate Trolltown,’ ‘Supertroll, Too,’ ‘Dr. Frankentroll, I Presume,’ ‘The Trollcat in the Trollhat,’ ‘Agent Double-O-Troll’ and ‘Pixlee and the Seven Trolls.’
- Spoonerisms: The mayor, voiced by Paul Winchell, had one in almost every sentence.
- Superhero Episode: "Supertroll, Too."
- Trolling to Himself: Oh, about half the cast:
- Jennifer Darling as Pixlee Trollsom & Deputroll Dolly.
- Frank Welker as Bogg, Flooky & Top Troll
- Trolling: The word troll appeared in most characters' names.
- Two Shorts
- Worthless Treasure Twist: The ending of "The Treasure of Troll Island".
- X Meets Y: The show’s essentially a cross between The Dukes of Hazzard and Smurfs.
- Coincidentally, some of the cast even worked on the Smurfs:
Michael Bellcharacter(s) , William ‘Bill’ Callawaycharacter(s) , Jennifer Darlingcharacter(s) , Marshall Efroncharacter(s) , Alan Oppenheimercharacter(s) , Frank Welkercharacter(s) and Paul Winchellcharacter(s) .
Other Smurfs voice actors Mel Blanccharacter(s) , Peter Cullencharacter(s) , Kenneth Marscharacter(s) , Don Messickcharacter(s) , Marilyn Schrefflercharacter(s) , Hal Smithcharacter(s) , John Stephensoncharacter(s) , Lennie Weinribcharacter(s) and Alan Youngcharacter(s) provided additional voices.