Western Animation / Superman: Brainiac Attacks
Superman: Brainiac Attacks
is a Direct-to-Video
movie, created to cash in on the mild-success of Superman Returns
. Very heavily criticized for poor writing and acting. Needs Wiki Magic Love
Provides Examples Of:
- Canon Discontinuity: Despite using character designs, sets and even some of the same voice actors from Superman: The Animated Series, the film is not part of the DCAU.
- The Final Temptation/"Leave Your Quest" Test/Lotus-Eater Machine: Superman has to go fetch some Applied Phlebotinum from the Phantom Zone to save Lois Lane and defeat Brainiac. It seems like he's done it and got back, and cured Lois and revealed his secret identity, and they're officially together now. When she starts talking about forgetting about defeating Brainiac, he realises it's all just an illusion that the Phantom Zone is using to keep him from escaping, and breaks free of the illusion.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: There is something weirdly funny seeing Brainiac smacking Superman around with Lex Luthor in his battle suit...
- Large Ham: Lex Luthor.
- Miss Fanservice: Mercy spends a great deal of her screentime doing little more than showing off her long legs.
- Mythology Gag: Lois mentions "That Green Lantern guy" would stop Brainiac if Superman doesn't do it first.
- "Look! Up in the sky! It is Superman!"
- Oh Crap!: Lex Luthor shouldn't have expected to be able to plant a self-destruct mechanism on a kryptonian supercomputer without it noticing...
- Lex Luthor is practically doing this for the whole movie.
- Same Character, but Different: It was not written to be part of the DCAU, but the Superman: The Animated Series art style was used, so it was quite jarring when some characters acted nothing like you expected, with Brainiac himself a powerful but standard-issue bad guy, and Lex Luthor being basically his old-school-film-series self.
- Smug Snake: This Lex Luthor only thinks he's very clever.
- True Love's Kiss: How Superman wake Lois from her coma, and really look like this, even if it is actually the residue of the serum in him that cured her.