The short features examples of:
- Captivity Harmonica: The prisoner's playing it in the beginning.
- Contrived Coincidence: Of all the places the prisoner pops up after digging his way out a second time he ends up coming out in the Warden's living room, just as he's putting the television set down.
- Cutlery Escape Aid: A prisoner uses a spoon to dig his way out, taking him twenty years to do so.
- Deadpan Snarker: The warden has a few moments of this when watching the prisoner on TV.(after the "boxing match" ends with a KO) "That's a fixed fight if I ever saw one."
(upon seeing a screen declaring the horse racing has been cancelled due to rain) "Hm. Sunny California."
- Exploding Calendar: The years rapidly floating towards the camera to signify the passage of time.
- Failed a Spot Check: Nobody ever notices the gigantic mountain of dirt right outside the prisoner's window as he digs.
- Fauxtastic Voyage: The prisoner acting out the TV programs can be seen as a variant of this.
- Here We Go Again: The prisoner's second escape attempt leads him back to the same TV, this time in the warden's living room.
- Irony: Of the tragic kind. The whole reason the prisoner's escape failed was because, while making small talk to quell the warden's suspicions, he randomly mentioned an "anniversary"... thus prompting the warden to remember the forgotten wedding anniversary and hastily buy the TV.
- Jaw Drop: One heck of a jaw drop when the prisoner realizes where the TV ended up.
- Master of Disguise: The prisoner is one (and somehow has his disguises in his cell), which helps him keep up the charade in the TV.
- Not So Stoic: The po-faced jail warden◊ goes into an incredibly goofy dance◊ when watching the "concert" on TV.
- One-Man Band: The prisoner ends up becoming this for sake of a "TV concert".
- Stand-In Portrait: The prisoner's antics inside the TV.
- Verbed Title
- Villainous Breakdown: The prisoner after he ends up back inside the warden's TV at the end.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: The prisoner's disguises.