Website / These Web Comics Are So Bad
''These Web Comics Are So Bad''
is the review blog
, created by the persona "Sonty Mick". Ostensibly, Sonty Mick does what the title says, dishing out criticisms of purportedly bad webcomics (albeit bizarre criticisms
which have little to do with the comics themselves). In reality though, the blog and persona serve as a carefully crafted parody of self-important internet critics (In particular, Your Webcomic is Bad and You Should Feel Bad, the now-defunct review site run by John Solomon), with Sonty Mick spending most of the time praising himself, organising art competitions with himself as the subject, or just finding ways to be personally involved with the comics he "reviews".
Excerpts from Sonty Mick's other writings (and those of his relatives, like Soncho Michez) occasionally show up in Unwinders Tall Comics
- Caustic Critic: Parodied, with Sonty Mick hating every comic he reads for utterly arbitrary and insane reasons.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Reviews often turn into strange diatribes with absurd criticisms, such as accusing the writer of Dinosaur Comics of "being too tall" and for being "unable to draw a sad face".
- Comically Missing the Point: How the entire blog is written, with Sonty Mick often being oblivious to the intentions of the comics he reviews.
- Cool Shades: featured in all of Sonty Mick's...depictions.
- Freudian Excuse: Comics have a habit of reminding Sonty Mick of distressing moments in his childhood, or bad songs he once listened to.
- Insane Troll Logic: Prolific.
"The message is that a kid can be a very irritating thing, and can have a zig zag instead of regular hair, and make lots of trouble for everyone, but in the end that kid is still a good character. I can't agree with that, because that is not my upbringing."
- Poe's Law: Comment sections are filled with complaints that take Sonty Mick's views on face value.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Sonty Mick, who likes to organise art competitions solely devoted to drawing him. Takes personal offense over comics, and even draws himself into them.