Webcomic: This Til Mistil Kistil
A quest in the far north, at seaThistil Mistil Kistil
is a fantasy webcomic by Sarah Schanze.
The recently deceased Coal must complete a quest
for the gods
in order to gain acceptance into Valhalla, but he needs to track down the trickster Loki and get his help. No easy task when the god is the reason for his troubles in the first place.
Meanwhile a slave girl, Hedda, is threatened with Human Sacrifice
after her master dies, and a boy named Ibrahim travels from Spain to Denmark.
- Attempted Rape: The sacrifice ritual includes it.
- Berserk Button
- The Berserker: Coal is one.
- Constantly Curious: Loki's twin sons Narvi and Vali, much to Coal's displeasure.
- Cool Boat: Rollo
- Country Mouse: Neither Coal nor Hedda are familiar even with towns.
- Crush Blush: Because of the shirtless scene
- Cunning Like a Fox: Loki takes this form.
- Damsel in Distress: Hedda
- Dead to Begin With: Coal
- Death Glare: Odin has a good one.
- Deliberately Monochrome
- Due to the Dead: Coal minds if you go after his mother's grave goods.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Coal's explanation of why he rescued Hedda is not very coherent.
- Evil Uncle: Coal's real ones. Not much else has been said about them.
- Godiva Hair: Loki in female form.
- Girls Have Cooties: Coal's most strenuous objection to taking Hedda with them.
- Groin Attack
- Happily Married: Loki and Sigyn.
- Honorary Uncle: Loki describes himself as Coal's uncle. Plus there is one in his Back Story.
- Human Sacrifice
- Interrupted Intimacy: After Coal rescues Hedda, he goes to tell Loki who's a little busy.
- In the Back: The first thing Loki does when he meets Coal is to stab him in the back. It's not effective because Coal is already dead and, thus, immortal. Loki knew this and was just being a jerk.
- In the Blood: Coal's father was a berserker. Coal's eyes turn red whenever he berserks out.
- It Was a Gift: How Coal explains a possession to the gods.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Coal seems to be a good person, albeit a short-tempered and quarrelsome one.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Coal. According to Word of God, his real name is "probably something like Humperdink."
- The Lost Woods
- Meet Cute: Apparently subverted between Loki and Sigyn
- Monochromatic Eyes: The Aesir and Vanir.
- Moral Myopia
- Odd-Shaped Panel
- Ominous Fog
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Coal's berserker eyes
- Royal Blood
- Scenery Porn: With sunrise
- Shirtless Scene: a natural consequence of Coal's having a weapon stuck entirely through him — and his shirt, tunic, and cloak — and Hedda's mending.
- Speech Bubbles
- Speech Bubbles Interruption
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Hedda mends Coal's clothing.
- Thicker Than Water
- Torso with a View: Averted, as Coal's chest and back show no evidence of having a sword thrust through them.
- The Trickster: Loki
- Ungrateful Bastard
- Viking Funeral: Complete with Human Sacrifice.
- Visible Silence
- Vampire Invitation: Loki's valley is supposed to work like this.
- Voluntary Shape Shifting: Loki
- Written Sound Effect