"A Poker Comic with Positive Expected Value." (Hint: +EV is the common abbreviation for "positive expected value".) About professional online poker player Corbin, his family, his poker buddies and several prominent poker players.The comic is here. You can find the old strips on Keen Spot here.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
- Beginner's Luck: Seems to be the explanation for the successes of, if not Scarlett, then at least for Harold and Clancy.
- Catch Phrase: Violet's "I think I want a divorce" qualifies to the point she lampshades it when Corbin calls her a "dink" in a text message.
- Cam Whore: OK, so Violet presents her bikini photos in her blog. See here.
- Child Prodigy: Scarlett, who's following in her father's footsteps.
- Heroic BSOD: Scarlett declares that poker and Princess Amazia are her two favorite things, and she couldn't do without either. Then Amazia comes out against gambling.
- House Rules: Be careful to play against Konsta with his own deck.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Fortunately, just a dream.
- Mouth Flaps: A peculiar aversion despite this being an animation trope: The characters' mouths are usually closed when they speak in this comic's particular style.
- Mushroom Samba: So, Harold owes the Goombas hundred dimes, and they'll kill him if he can't pay?
- Perpetual Poverty: Harold and Clancy win millions in poker, but shit it all away.
- Primal Scene: Seems to have happened off-strip, since Scarlett knows about the game that only mommies and daddies can play. See here.
- Professional Gambler: Corbin, and several members of the supporting cast.
- Rick Roll: Done in Real Life here. Yes, there is such a thing as a real life rickroll.
- Scary Black Man: Clancy knows about this trope, but doesn't really understand it.
- Shout-Out: To American Idol here, Heroes here, A Boy and His Blob here
- Snap Back: Harold wins a lot of money and loses it again, loses weight and gains it again... and so on.
- Soap Opera: Violet is a fan of One Life to Live.
- Speed Sex: Corbin can do it twice in five minutes!
- Take That: Is Gold Coast really that shitty? No idea.
- Theme Naming: Corbin's wife's name is Violet. Her first daughter is Scarlett, which is a shade of red. And violet is a mixture of red and blue. So it was logical to give their second daughter a name that's a shade of blue, and thus she was named... Ultramarine!
- Webcomic within a webcomic: "The Degenerate."
- World of Pun: The puns are mostly Poker-related. Big Blind, Pocket Pear...
- Writers Cannot Do Math: Play poker too long, and you'll forget how to count to twenty. Even if you were a mathematician before.