Webcomic: My Life At War
aka: My Lifeat War
My Life at War is a webcomic written by Luther Patenge and illustrated by Matt Materniak. It updates every Friday.It is a mecha comic that follows the pilots of the 1st Investment Recovery Battalion, mecha pilots fighting to guard the recently acquired territory of Mega Fun Foods.You can read it online here.
- Briefcase Full of Money: Henry Macon's briefcase full of stock certificates counts.
- Chameleon Camouflage: Dhuvalian LIMBs
- Corporate Warfare
- Dark-Skinned Blond: The Dhuvalians, although this trait is limited to the Dhuvalian royalties.
- Fat Girl: Betsy-Ray, maybe Jackie?
- Hired Guns: The main characters are members of a mercenary company.
- Killed Off for Real: Vulture
- Leeroy Jenkins: Dizzee Jenkins has a tendency to lose LIMBs due to his recklessness, in the chapter 3 battle he apparently lost two. It catches up to him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Terrence "Vulture" Uzzard
- Mega Corp.: Mega-Fun-Foods. It's practically in their name.
- Mini-Mecha: The LIMBS are too small to be called Humongous Mecha and far too big to be called power armor.
- Never Learned to Read: Vulture, meant he couldn't tell what was in the employee handbook and it was too difficult to find his next of kin.
- Oral Fixation: Vulture usually had a piece of straw in his mouth. While going through his stuff after he died the rest of the team found a box of pre-cut "max relax" hayseeds.
- Powered Armor: The Bulls.
- Mind you, literally powered. With a cable. From a truck.
- Privately Owned Society: The Free Market.
- Private Military Contractors: The 1st Investment Recovery Battalion are just that.
- Robbing the Dead: Mercenary companies have specialists for that job.
- Show Within a Show: Vulture was inspired to become a LIMB pilot by a show following a fictional mercenary called The Southpaw.
- It isn't fictional! It's Based. Awn. Uh. True. Story.
- Space Romans: The main characters have distinctly southern/Texan feeling to them, from the way people talk to the cowboy hats.
- The Dhuvalians have a distinctly French feel to them, despite the comic taking place in an original world.
- Speech Bubbles: The comic seems to use differently shaped speech bubbles to indicate accents. Round for Free Market and boxy for Dhuvalian.
- War for Fun and Profit: Averted, The 1st Investment Recovery Battalion and the other two PMC companies Mega-Fun-Foods hired are taking heavy losses that their client has needed to subsidize. Macon says it himself: