Messenger is a Sci-Fi/Urban Fantasy webcomic following the stories of several different characters which all take place at the same time. The story begins by following Akiara Kenakobe, a teenage girl living as part of a tribal group in post-apocalyptic America, as she leaves her home after the death of her best friend Luke Makaio, who was from a rival tribe. Later, the story follows Eldora and her brother Finnegan, two creatures created by modern science known as Chios, as they are sent out to retrieve a vaccine to help save their people. The storylines for each character overlap gradually, adding clues to unravel the mysteries of the past.
Tropes Used Include:
- Akiara Kenakobe: A teenage girl from a tribal family group who often has to kill to protect their own.
- Luke Makaio: A member of the Makaio tribe and Akiara's best friend. Before he acquired Near Death Clairvoyance.
- Zavier Kenakobe: Akiara's cousin, and one of the strongest of the Kenakobe warriors. A Worthy Opponent.
- Eldora: A creature known as a Chio, which is a kind of Half-Human Hybrid, who dreams of becoming a warrior for her village.
- Finnegan: Eldora's younger brother.
- Kyle Nekos: A (dead) teenage guy with a Mysterious Past.
Tropes Used Include:
- Blood Knight: Zavier enjoys killing outsiders, and can't even begin to consider the possibility of coexisting with them. He also hates Akiara, calling her a traitor for running away, and so is considering ways to kill her, even though he was ordered to bring her back alive.
- Companion Cube: Eldora takes Icy everywhere she goes.
- Didn't Think This Through: Eldora is a brave Chio. Not necessarily a bright Chio, but a brave Chio.
- Find the Cure: Jazlyn sends Eldora on a quest to find the vaccine that will save their people.
- Improbable Age: Aki is a 17-year old warrior.
- LEGO Genetics: The Chios.
- Our Angels Are Different: Luke and Nekos certainly are.
- Parental Abandonment: Nekos, Eldora and Finnegan all suffer here.
- Proud Warrior Race: The Kenakobe, Makaio, and other warrior tribes determine their honor through battle.
- Unusual Ears: Well, it's certainly not the humans...