Webcomic: Frankie And Stein
He just wants to make a friend!Frankie and Stein
is a webcomic
by Margo Zeno about a little Mad Scientist
named Stein whose mother tells him to make a friend...
...so he does.
He robs "the cursed grave" and steals a brain, and, by the end of Chapter 1, Frankie is alive and ready for action!
There are a few supporting characters, including Stein's cousin Karl, his also Frankenstein's Monster
best friend Adam, and Adam's also Mad Scientist
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Adorable Abomination: Frankie
- Adorkable: Stein could certainly be considered such.
- Ambiguous Innocence
- Big Brother Instinct: There seems to be some from Karl to Frankie, especially what with their mutual condition.
- Cheerful Child: Stein.
- Comically Missing the Point: If you can call it that. His mother tells him to "make a friend". He actually goes out and makes, by means of science, a friend.
- Creating Life: Chapter 1 is all about Stein doing this for Frankie.
- Creepy Child: Stein is starting to venture into this, what with this strip See below, in Dissonant Serenity.
- Creepy Doll: "SUTURE(tm) will teach your child the meanings of loyalty, courage, and fear!"
- Deliberately Monochrome, of the pure black and white style. And it suits the tone very well.
- Department of Redundancy Department:
- meta version: "lying lie-face that lies" here.
- Dissonant Serenity: Stein acts this way... a lot. From graverobbing grinningly, to stealing a brain with a smile on his face, to excitedly explaining what he's going to do next half-way through creating his own Frankenstein's Monster with blood all over his face. Only, he's a little more upbeat than serene. This strip, in particular.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Frankie
- Grave Robbing
- I Hate Past Me: It appears as though future Stein feels this way.
- Mad Scientist: Stein is a mini-version.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: Stein has one, complete with table and octopus.
- Meaningful Name:
- Stein - the suffix of "Frankenstein"
- Frankie - a pun on the prefix of "Frankenstein"
- Shelly - a variation of the last name of Frankenstein author, Mary Shelley
- Adam - one of the names by which The Monster of Frankenstein is referred to
- My Future Self and Me: Occurred with Stein and Shelly.
- Never the Selves Shall Meet: Shelly claims that if this occurs their heads will explode.
- Shout-Out: There are quite a few.
- Frankenstein, both book and various movies.
- One of the various book titles, Trampling in God's Domain, on this early page references debates about the story.
- Boris Karloff's The Body Snatcher
- The Weeping Angel in the graveyard.
- With the time travel arc for Chapter 4, there are a lot of references to sci-fi pop culture:
- Shelley claims that Frankie's head will explode, citing "It is too science! I saw it on tv!" as proof. Stein tries to figure out where she got her "information," referencing "the one with the boxnote ," "the one with the carnote ," and "the one with the Morlo-note "
- "Ground Control to Major Stein" references a David Bowie song.
- "Oh my Invisible Pink Unicorn!" references the parody deity, the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror.
- Time Machine: Apparently Shelly built one.
- Time Travel: Shelly's Time Machine takes her and Stein to the future where they meet their teenage selves.
- Twitchy Eye: A lot of it.
- Stein appears to be the most common offender. It's most commonly seen when he's happy, scheming, nervous, sad, uncertain - okay, it's a bit rarer to see him without it.
- Karl is probably a close second, which leads one to wonder if the eyetwitch is genetic. His instances seem restricted, however, to just when he's obsessing over something, annoyed, or uncertain.
- It must be contagious, following this logic. It has also been spotted in Adam and Frankie, in moments of concern, uncertainty, and being weirded out.
- The Unreveal: Oh no, Karl's gonna find Frankie and know immediately what's going on! ...or, um, not.
- Unsound Effect
- What the Hell, Hero?: Stein on Page 40... What the hell, Stein?!
- Written Sound Effect
- Wrong Time-Travel Savvy: Shelly
- Your Head A Splode: What will happen to Frankie if Stein takes her time travelling, at least according to Shelly.
- Later disproven by future Shelly as she doesn't remember her head exploding when she traveled through time.