Webcomic: Anders Loves Maria
Anders Loves Maria is a webcomic by Rene Engstrom about the lives of Anders von Silfersked and Maria Holm, starting from the time they decided to have a baby. Take Finagle's Law, dial it Up to Eleven, toss in a Love Dodecahedron, and as a finishing touch sprinkle Swedish royalty on top. Began 9/11/2006, ended 2/5/2010. The website is currently under maintenance and cannot be read.It can be found here. Spoiler Alert!!!The first page. Start here.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- The Baby Trap: Tina does this in an attempt to hold onto Anders, hiding the fact that she's miscarried.
- The Casanova: Anders, to the misfortune of Maria and most suitors.
- Convenient Miscarriage Tina with Anders
- Dead Guy Junior: The younger Maria is named for her mother, who dies after giving birth to her.
- Death by Childbirth: Maria does not survive giving birth to her daughter.
- Distant Finale: The sequence with Maria's daughter finding a baby bird out in the woods. Also happens to be a Call Back an early part of the story when a similar event from Ander's childhood was described.
- Fan Disservice:
- Anders sleeping with Little Shit. It seems implied that they don't actually have sex; Anders just needs to cuddle. Still.
- Anders' aged mother sitting around without a shirt is certainly not put in for titillation.
- Funetik Aksent: In flashbacks, Maria's thick northern Swedish accent is represented in English by a phonetic representation of a Yorkshire accent.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Averted: Tina goes through with the procedure as a teenager. According to Rene, Maria also had one with Bjorn.
- Has Two Mommies: Played with. Anders does not approve of his mother's new lover.Anna: I'm going to be a grandma.Anders: No you bloody well aren't!
- Identical Grandson: Aside from Anders's hair color, Maria looks and has a similar mannerism to her mother Maria. Enough that her first appearance was essentially Hidden in Plain Sight for the audience, in a sequence that seemed to be a flashback to her mother's childhood but was really a flash-forward to the Distant Finale.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Johan and Bjorn are classic examples. Anders (usually) means well, but poor impulse control paired with worse personal judgement gets you here.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Johan to Maria, having had to look after her since childhood.
- Longest Pregnancy Ever: Maria is pregnant for nearly all of the comic's run.
- Noodle People: A single character example: Anna is unrealistically thin compared to the other characters.
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Averted; Johan and Maria were placed in a foster home as children due to neglect.
- Twist Ending: Anders does love Maria, his daughter. He does truly love Maria, his girlfriend, it's just... complicated.
- Wham Episode: The ending, in which Maria dies in childbirth, and the Maria in the Flash Forward scenes from earlier in the story is her and Anders' daughter, caught a lot of people off guard.
- Wham Line: The obstetrician visits Anders after the birth of his daughter and tells him, "Maria never woke up."