A YouTube web series
that premiered in 2008, centring around a man named Donnie Hoyle, who wants very much for the viewer to know that they suck at Photoshop
and that he's, very reluctantly, going to show them how to get better at it. While ostensibly a 'how-to' series about how to use various Photoshop tools and techniques, it soon becomes clear that less-than-obscured subtext of the tutorials is the various ways in which Donnie's life is rapidly disintegrating
Provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Donnie thinks he's doing this to the audience. In fact, even a less-than-attentive viewer would be able to quickly determine that Donnie's the pathetic one and that his Photoshop skills are almost entirely the only thing he has going for him.
- Black Comedy
- Creator Breakdown: Every tutorial. The photos and various techniques that Donnie's using are inevitably a thinly-veiled representation of whatever's gone wrong in his life that week.
- Deadpan Snarker: Donnie thinks he's this as well. He isn't.
- Sadist Show: So, how are we going to torture and torment Donnie this week?
- Title Drop: Every episode begins with Donnie informing the viewer that 'you suck at Photoshop'.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Initially at least, sn4tchbucl3r is not a great friend to Donnie.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: To be true, life has a habit of dumping all over Donnie, but it's made abundantly clear that he's not a particularly nice or stable guy anyway, and that it's in many ways his own fault.