Web Video / The Proxy
"The Proxy" is an action/sci-fi webseries which ran from March 8-17, 2012.
The story starts when YouTube
tat reviewer Stuart Ashen
attempts to review the contents of a package addressed to his neighbour, Tom Bishop—a USB flash drive. Suddenly, he is interrupted when two men break into his house and attack him, forcing him to go on the run. After running into Tom, and after both are rescued by an amnesiac woman with bizarre powers, who they dub "Sarah", the three go on a quest to find out the story behind the drive and their assailants.
The series is an ARG
, although only UK residents are eligible
to enter. However, the series is available for anyone to watch here.
and is also available on Ashen's section of That Guy with the Glasses here
It's hinted in this video of Ashen's
that a second season has been produced or is in production with a soonish release datenote
. Either that, or that's one big Shout-Out
given the video's topic. And then it turns out that it's just a callback.
This webshow provides examples of:
- Alternate Reality Game
- Amnesiac Hero: Sarah.
- Bandage Mummy: Christine Baker.
- Bedmate Reveal: Tom wakes up in bed next to Stuart after Sarah puts them there.
- Big Bad: Peter Baker.
- Big Damn Webseries
- Deadpan Snarker: Ashens, naturally.
- Fingore: One of Baker's minions' methods of torture. Fortunately for Tom, it gets better, thanks to Sarah's Healing Hands.
- Genre Blindness: Most of the cast but surprisingly Ashens at one point where he doesn't seem to notice how odd a police officer is acting.
- Genre Savvy: Ashens, who points out that going to the bad guy's hangout, especially after escaping it once, is not a good idea. Lampshaded by Peter.
- Invisibility: One of Sarah's powers.
- The Man Behind the Man: Shown in the final part where he burns Peter Baker instantly for failing.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Sarah, although there really isn't much room for foreshadowing in the first place.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: The storyline actually began in one of Ashens' regular review videos (specifically, a review of Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition video games). The first episode itself was literally a disguised pilot, as it was originally posted under the title of "Illegal Activity Special" and pretended to be a normal review video, albeit one of the contents of a package addressed to his neighbor, until suddenly plot happened.
- Product Placement: The series is sponsored by Alienware.
- Sequel Hook: The Bigger Bad behind Peter Baker is still out there.
- Uncomfortable Elevator Moment