There is a reason The Secret World
didn't have a WMG page until now (December 16, 2012 at creation)
If only because a game of this nature would have had a very long one by now. Specifically, the Council of Venice has been suppressing all speculation on The Secret World, just in case the guess comes too close to reality and risks to blow the masquerade.
...or otherwise be the central focus of future content.
For Simplicity's sake here's is a list
[X] The Signals disrupting our thoughts
[X] The Host that was here before us
[ ] The City on the Moon
[ ] The Missing eleven days
[X] The Earth is Hollow
[X] The Wagtails
[X] Portals in time and space
[X] The Bees returning
[X] The Eight that watch over us
[ ] Solomon's key unless the Sword of Solomon Island counts, since the Key of Solomon was a book.
[X] The Tower of Babel Mentioned in the Phoenican Lore.
[X] The Old Gods
[ ] The Ark of the Covenant
[X] Stonehenge's beacon
[ ] The Fountain of Youth
[X] Immortal beings
[ ] The Planet's aligning
[X] The End of Days
[ ] The Dark Places
[X] The Filth
[X] The Morning Light
[X] The Dreamers
[X] The Demons marching against us
[X] Lilith's Children
[ ] The Blight in the Garden of Eden
[X] Digging too Deep
[ ] Pandora's Box
The Tokyo Incident Team is alive and well
However, they have stayed in Tokyo to help contain the filth (with limited success) and are looking for Sarah.
- Partially confirmed as they return in the Manhattan raid zone.
Every hub will have a raid instance in the future.
With the introduction of the Raid zone in New York, every hub will have to fight the filth, or other hostiles on home turf in similar raid instances. All in very public and highly populated areas. As a result Council of Venice agents will be running around trying to explain the situation to the increasingly suspicious public.
- The London instance will take place on either:
- Trafalgar Square
- Buckingham Palace
- The Tower of London
- The Seoul Instance will take place:
- Seoul Olympic Park
- Related to this...
Future Zone predictions
- This one's practically confirmed, if I recall.
- Confirmed. The upcoming Issue 9 is said to be the start of the Tokyo arc.
- New Orleans/Louisiana
- Various characters have mentioned it in passing several times as a supernatural hotbed.
- Venice, as home of the Council of Venice could serve as a neutral hub.
- If so then Venice's story segment will also have more focus on Investigation and Sabotage Missions working to smoke out the moles on the Council, Orochi or otherwise.
- Partially confirmed in Issue 8 where we visit the Sunken Library which is in Venice.
- And further sort of confirmed in Tokyo, with several intrigue/spy based missions
- Greece, see below to the whereabouts of the Sanctuary of Secrets.
- Area 51, with the revelation that the Aliens are actually a type of supernatural creatures the US Government has kept contained 'till now.
- Central America, given the importance of the Maya. This could also be where they implement dinosaurs.
- The Congo
- Some of lore in Issue 10 mentions the Congo. Also a different strain of Filth in Tokyo came from cargo aboard a ship from Africa.
You are only partially in control of your character
Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. You're not really your character, you're actually The Bee that stung them. You and your character are in a symbiotic relationship but ultimately two different entities inhabiting the same body. This is also why your character demonstrates different skills than what 'you' selected, why you seem so intuitively directed in most of your missions (I mean, half the missions tend to involve characters not event TALKING TO YOU, they're just making offhand comments). Then again, maybe YOU'RE the character and the bee is you in the cutscene. which sort of segues into my next guess...
The Bees took our voices
And that's why we're all Silent Protagonists in cutscenes. The blessing of the Bees comes with a price, possibly as far as losing almost all communication skills. (we don't even nod or shake our heads when it would help)
The whereabouts of the Sanctuary of Secrets and Melissonomoi?
Considering their importance and involvement before Melissa's trail ran cold in Greece and the launch of the game, the absence of the Sanctuary of Secrets from the game proper is appropriately mysterious and worrying. So the question is what happened to them and are they okay?
The Dragon initiation ritual's female NPC is a Kumiho.
The half-demon guard Akma who considers her his mistress, the name of the motel, that she hands out moments of 'perfect clarity', the geographic location, so on and so forth.
The Pyramidion is an artificial intelligence.
He is basically the embodiment of the world's public telecommunications network. Which is why he is always quoting memes and random PA announcements.
Building on the above. He's the spirit of the Architect that built the Labyrinthine
Gerry mentions that the man who built it in the first place went mad and killed himself. What it it was the final step to finish the project. The reason he spews memes is that his spirit is now inhabiting the internet and it's a bit too much for him.
The Secret World takes place in the same world as Alan Wake, and the Taken are really people infected by the Filth.
Kingsmouth wasn't the only small town to be affected by occult events. Bright Falls was hit by the Filth and taken off the map, along with one Alan Wake, before the secret societies even noticed. Alan Wake proved to somehow be immune to the Filth's effects, but the rest of the town did not, leaving Alan alone in a Filth corrupted version of Bright Falls with crazy, infected townies trying to kill him to prevent his immunity from ever being discovered and exploited. The Dark Presence is not the eldritch abomination itself, and is instead a single Dreamer sent to watch over the infection of the town. Alan's comment at the end of "It's not a lake, it's an ocean" is him realizing that he has only solved one very small portion of a much larger problem.
The Bees either carefully influence which faction finds the player character, or choose player characters to fit nearby factions
Three parts to this guess:
1. If the bee chosen people are to effectively fill their expected roles of protecting the world from filth issues, it makes sense to make sure they join the right faction. (The most extreme example of this might be, say, a rule focused "know your place/bonds of loyalty" person joining the Illuminati, but certainly having a more independent minded person in the Tamplar might not go well either. The Dragon could maybe work with most personalities, but some would likely be better fits as well for that faction.)
2. The bees have been gathering all sorts of personal information about all sorts of people for a long time, and with this history likely have the ability to accurately determine who would work well as a secret worlder and which faction each of those people would best fit with.
3. In a metagame sense, it would be a useful back explanation for why many players will dress, act, and think of their characters as having the personality of the factions, but almost no players will act as if their characters are misfits.
There are two ways I could see this working: either bees simply choose people of a particular personality who are at the right place/time to get noticed by the appropriate faction, and/or they influence faction communication to ensure the "correct" faction is chosen.
After all who else could it be?
- Literally anyone else. Nyarly's already been referenced and conflated with Akhenaten, who is, like Nyarly, called the Black Pharaoh. He even serves as the Mouthpiece of the Outer God Aten, just as Nyarly serves as the mouthpiece of Azathoth.
Carter's first name is Jack.
It's a rare girl's name. It completes the Get Carter
reference made with her Twitter image. It'd make sense that she's embarrassed enough by it to go by her last name.
Amatsu Mikaboshi is one of the many historical/mythological manifestations of The Filth
In Japanese Mythology
Amatsu Mikaboshi is seen as a primordial chaos which existed before creation, was shattered and broken, and became part of it upon the creation of the world. There have been cults dedicated to it in ancient Japanese times (the mythical queen Himiko was thought to be amongst them), it is said to be a corrupting force turning love into obssession, anger into hate, etc., and finally, Amatsu Mikaboshi means "The August Star of Heaven". All of these run parallel to many themes of when a cult forms around The Filth and The Dreamers.
Cassie is Ishtar
She is shown to have power similar if not more powerful than the Protagonist. She is very flirty but gets increadbly angry and venegful the second she gets scorned. She seems to know a lot more than Even Loki/Beaumont knows. And she is wearing a shirt that says "Love" on it.
Orochi is infected by the Filth
The plot kicks off with a Filth bomb at Orochi Towers. What if some Orochi executives were subtly infected, as there are levels of Filth infection. When they evacuated they are the reason Orochi keeps messing, and failing horribly, with the Filth.