Video Game: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out Of The Shadows
A 2013 Beat 'em Up developed by Red Fly Studio and published by Activision based on the vigilante exploits of four mutated brothers utilizing ninjutsu.This game was a notable attempt by the company and Nickelodeon to recapture the magic of Konami's previous TMNT beat 'em ups, while updating the Turtles with more modern graphics design and writing, and hopefully avoid hitting the Polygon Ceiling along the way, as previous 3D attempts had done. It's notable for having all four turtles involved in the gameplay at a time, no matter how many human players there are.
This game provides examples of:
- Adapted Out: While the game is Inspired By the 2012 show, it leaves out Chris Bradford and Xever.
- Art Shift: Cutscenes are displayed as static comic panels.
- Artificial Stupidity: The game has been savaged in this regard. Examples include, but are not limited to: the AI Turtles getting stuck somewhere, an AI Turtle just walking around in the middle of a fight, and Kraang will prioritize getting physical even when they have guns. One can suddenly pull off a stealth K.O. on some guy who apparently is completely oblivious to the action all around him.
- Co-Op Multiplayer
- Dialog During Gameplay
- Inspired By: Officially, the game is a license of the current cartoon, but several elements are drawn from the films and the comics.
- Lampshade Hanging: Donatello frequently comments on the fact that they're eating pizza (the health item) found lying around on the ground.Mikey: La la la, I can't hear you.
- Mythology Gag:
- During the Cerberus Mouser boss fight, Mikey comments that it doesn't look like an aardvark. This is a Shout-Out to Cerebus the Aardvark and a nod to the fact that he guest-starred in one of the Mirage stories. Michelangelo also jokingly mentions that he and his brothers might face samurai rabbits next, a nod to Miyamoto Usagi, protagonist of the Usagi Yojimbo comic book, and the fact that he frequently made crossover appearances with the Turtles.
- The dance moves the turtles do in their taunts is the same dance performed by Vanilla Ice in the second movie.
- Overly Long Gag: It's possible for Michelangelo to go into a monologue about pizza toppings that lasts nearly two minutes.
- Rearrange the Song: The title screen music is a shortened loop of "Turtle Power" from the first film.
- Retraux: Donnie's Arcade Game, an option from the main hub, is a 3D version of a classic belt-scrolling beat 'em up that this game takes its inspiration from.
- RPG Elements: Leveling up the Turtles to boost their combat prowess, as well as upgrading their weapons.
- Seinfeldian Conversation : Constantly between the turtles, mostly during long treks between fights, but sometimes during. Mikey spills a long ode towards different types of pizza, the boys discuss whether or not they should get tattoos, etc.
- What the Hell, Player?: A subtle version. Try to make a Turtle jump from a too-tall ledge or building, and he will just approach the edge, look down, and back off again.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up Franchise/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2013