Video Game / Tao Feng Fist Of The Lotus
Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus
is a Fighting Game
that John Tobias
helped design for the Xbox
. This game was released in March 18, 2003.
There are two Chinese factions at war with each other: the Pale Lotus and the Black Mantis. They are battling over two tablets that will reveal the location of treasures guarded by the Pale Lotus that supposedly grant immortality. The Pale Lotus has the Yang tablet and the Black Mantis has the Yin tablet.Needs Wiki Magic Love
This Video Game contains examples of:
- Berserk Button: Iron Monk AKA Damon Li does not like seeing a child abused.
- Big Bad: Wulong Goth of the Black Mantis.
- Big Good: Master Sage AKA Lo Shu of the Pale Lotus.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Played with. Fierce Tiger AKA Isis Williams fought Jade Dragon AKA Aria Chen several times, with Isis never winning. Then Aria and Isis fought one more time, and the loser had to obey the winner's every whim. Aria won easily, and told Isis to improve her grades and to train with her in secret. So the trope was played straight in the end.
- Expy: Considering that former Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias had a role in creating this game, many of the characters in this game can find their creative descent from that franchise.
- The Black Mantis, despite having a name similar to the Black Dragon, is more akin to that of the Brotherhood of Shadows and its leader, Wulong Goth, has a strong resemblance to the Brotherhood's founder Shinnok (though he differs by having a Mantis motif instead). Of its other co-horts, Fatalist is a European Mercenary who is strongly reminiscent of the Australian Crime lord Kano, and also uses lasers for attacks (though fired from a device mounted near his shoulder rather than by a cybernetic eye), Exile takes a few cues from Shao Kahn (in that he is a muscle bound giant), and Vapor is essentially a Gender Flipped version of Smoke.
- The Pale Lotus is rather obviously based on the White Lotus Society. Master Sage has elements of Raiden, being the wise leader of the good side and being able to wield electric-based attacks, and Liu Kang, being a highly skilled martial artist and not to mention doing his own version of his bicycle kick, while Divine Fist, based on being a monk dressed in dark blue and black clothing, is likely based on Kung Lao (minus the Weaponized Headgear). In addition, Fierce Tiger also seems to be a composite expy of Cyrax and Tanya (As Fierce Tiger has a dreadlock hair style like Cyrax (shown in his ending in Mortal Kombat Gold), like Tanya she is a dark skinned woman proficient in fighting, and like both of those characters she is a Black individual who dresses in a mostly yellow color scheme).
- The Fashionista: Jade Dragon
- Genocide Backfire: The Black Mantis attempted to destroy the entire Pale Lotus sect. As Lo Shu and his mentor Shihao have not only survived, but started up the Pale Lotus sect again, it clearly didn't work.
- Heartbroken Badass: Divine Fist has been reluctant to start a family, especially after the betrayal of Divinity.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Vapor of the Black Mantis possibly feels this way towards Wulong Goth and Master Sage.
- It's All About Me: This is Divinity AKA Savitri Bindra of the Black Mantis in a nutshell. In fact, her fury was limitless when her boyfriend Divine Fist AKA Shen Zhen of the Pale Lotus rejected her!
- Ms. Fanservice: Jade Dragon and Vapor.
- Multiple-Choice Past: The Fatalist claims that he is in the last in the line of Vlad the Impaler; that he's secretly the ruling Prince of Austria, given away to peasants as a baby; that his parents where killed by wolves in the Black Forest who then raised him as one of their pack; and that he's a super-soldier who was engineered and raised in a lab. Good luck trying to figure out what happened in his past.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: This is what Geist plans to do to Divinity.
- Shout-Out: Master Sage's alternate outfit includes a set of round sunglasses that gives him a resemblance to Master Roshi.
- The Rival: Fierce Tiger was a rival of Jade Dragon.
- The Brute: Exile of the Black Mantis.
- The Dragon: Divinity to Wulong Goth. Geist was in that position, but Goth apparently forgot all about her.
- Three Round Deathmatch: Averted, as every match is basically one round. When one fighter runs out of health, there's a short cutscene of them struggling their way back to their feet as their bar refills. Empty the bar three times (green, yellow, red) and the fight ends.
- Unholy Matrimony: Divinity and Wulong Goth have this going on. Geist and Goth had it going on too, before he abandoned her. Oops!
- The Hero: Jade Dragon of the Pale Lotus.
- The Lancer: Jade Dragon is this to Master Sage.
- Yandere: Geist AKA Gei-Yi of the Black Mantis found out that Divinity has taken her place at Wulong Goth's side. Geist is unhappy about that.
- You Can't Fight Fate: The Fatalist of the Black Mantis might as well have this trope as his motto!
- You Killed My Father: Fiery Phoenix AKA Jiao Feng of the Pale Lotus's parents were murdered by Exile. Jiao Feng would like to repay Exile for that.