Video Game: Swords Of Destiny
Swords of Destiny is a fairly obscure Hack and Slash game developed by Artoon in 2006, and set into a mythic ancient China.Long ago, evil demons known as Gyakki invaded the human world led by their empress Yang Yuan. However, a legendary warrior called Yan De, wielding the Three Swords of Yi and helped by his daughter's spiritual powers vanquished her and her minions. However, fearing her return, he built a dojo in order to choose a rightful successor. Said successor, Lei Yun, is entrusted with the Awakening Sword, and sent on a journey to train. Sadly, he comes back just in time to see Yang's return as she and her slaves attacks Yan De's dojo and kidnap his daughter, Xiao, at the same time releasing the spirit of the evil Meng Wei. With Yan De dead, is up to Lei Yun to find all the Swords of Yi, save Xiao and stop the Gyakki once again.Alas, the game seems to suffer a rather obvious case of "Blind Idiot" Translation, along with a rather bad voice acting and some frustrating mechanics in certain portions of the game.
This game contains examples of:
This game contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: Some Gyakki looks like floating tumors and will explode with violence if approached.
- An Axe to Grind: Yang Yuan's weapon, despite her slender look, is a pretty large axe with a long pole.
- Back from the Dead: Yang Yuan.
- Big Bad: Meng Wei. Alias, Yan De.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The whole game is largely guilty of this.
- Boobs of Steel: Yang Yuan has the largest pair of breasts of all the female characters in game, and is also the strongest in battle.
- Bullet Time: Or rather, Sword Time: when you lock on an enemy, a green circle will appear. Hitting enemies when the circle turns red will initiate the Sword Time, with Lei becoming able to land a few really damaging hits on the nearby foes... though sometimes is hard to use.
- Cool Sword: The Three Swords of Yi, plus the Awakening Sword:
- Damage-Sponge Boss: All the bosses, which is why you need to Master the Sword Time and the mastery of enemy's weapons, in order to deal better damage.
- Damsel in Distress: Xiao.
- Degraded Boss: The very first boss is a giant Gyakki wielding a club. They reappear later as common Elite Mook.
- Evil Laugh: Yang during her Boss Battle.
- Flash Step: Dodging attacks and dashing may result in this.
- Flechette Storm: Flaming Phoenix' Dragon Magic results in a volley of homing fiery feathers.
- Ground Pound: Raging Tiger's magic.
- In a Single Bound: Lei Yun can jump pretty far and even double jump if required.
- Legions of Hell: The Gyakki.
- Lethal Lava Land: The caverns before Raging Tiger's temple.
- Morph Weapon: In order to improve your attacks you can pick up weapons from the fallen monsters and transfer the spirit of the Swords of Yi inside them. As a result, they'll be identical to the swords but with better statistics.
- My Breasts Are Down Here: Yang's outfit is very skimpy, but to really top it all, her breast bands, while unrevealing, are black with a noticeable golden design on them.
- Ninja: Some of the enemies.
- One-Winged Angel: Yang Yuan will turn into a massive Spider Person after her defeat. Unlike many other examples, the battle is divided in two different stages.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Our Dragons Are Different: The second boss is a western-style demonic dragon... who apparently was one of Lei Yun's former friends turned into a monster by Yang Yuan.
- Razor Wind: Blue Dragon's magic.
- The Reveal: Meng Wei is actually Yan De.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains: The main hero is fully dressed as a warrior. Xiao wears a rather chaste priestess outfit. Yang Yuan, on the other hand, has clothes only on her legs, groin and boobs.
- Temple of Doom: Most of the second part of the game is inside one.
- Unusable Enemy Equipment: Averted, you can pick up enemy weapons and turns them in one of the Swords of Yi... now with better statistics, butt less durability.
- The Worf Effect: In a cutscene, Yan De and Xiao manage to wipe out several demons without effort. Then Yang Yuan arrives, knocks Yan De out with a shockwave and dominates Xiao... by simply grabbing her. That's right, being grabbed by a half-naked demoness will make your demon-repelling skills useless.
- Wutai: The setting seems to be chinese, and yet, japanese-sounding words like Gyakki and dojo are heard.